Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-29-2007, 10:29 AM

Default Re: What is your UTG hand range?

[ QUOTE ]
ok I don't want to dilute the general adivce in this thread, which is to drop the suited connectors UTG.

some food for thought: I've run 26/20 for 30k hands at 25 and 50nl, raising suited connectors and one gappers (I treat them the same) 45s-QJs in the first two positions about 50% of the time according to PT, to give a total of 309 hands for -0.15 big blinds/hand.

Obviously sample size is an issue here, but I would imagine that your 'true' winrate with a single type of hands in a certain position will converge much more quickly than overall WR (e.g. you should be about work out that 93o UTG is not going to be profitable fairly quickly).

A couple of notes:

The most striking thing about my SC stats in EP is that my W$SF is very low - 36% - compared to an overall value of 50-55% in the first two positions. I don't know whether I'm not playing them hard enough, or whether there's some sort of bunching type effect going on (where if I open with a poor hand UTG it is more likely someone has a good hand).

Secondly, I do win with SCs in EP+blinds at about +0.15BB/hand. Sample size, well timed 3bets, cheap completions, who knows?

Thirdly, I think there was some thread where all the HSNL players discovered they were losing with their SCs in EP. A lot of them then argued this was fine because it got them action on their strong EP hands. The validity of this argument is very questionable in uNL. I do think the EP raise gets respect, but people are very unlikely to change their hand ranges in response to you unless it's very dramatic.

Anyway, FWIW, here's my graph:

I'd be very interested to see other people's results with SCs in EP, however often you play them.

[/ QUOTE ]

I tend to be in the camp that think suited connectors and suited gappers (most of them) have no inherent value - we play them simply to even out our range so that we are a lot less predictable. They serve this purpose well because postflop its generally easy to tell where we are in a hand and oftentimes our holding is well disguised.

I guess the conclusion is: at 25NL and 50NL, I think it's probably not the best idea to go crazy with suited connected and suited gappers from early position because people are so poor at estimating ranges anyway.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:44 AM

My UTG range depends a lot on table conditions. If the table is full of loose-passive droolers (and what table isnīt?), I raise suited 2-gappers, suited kings, A8o+, KTo+, connectors 9To+. If table is more aggressive or tighter I tighten up a lot to converge with the consensus of this thread.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:45 AM

Uhh, playing pots UTG at a table of loose passives with 9To is not a good strategy. The tighter the table, the looser your opening range should be.
Old 06-29-2007, 11:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Uhh, playing pots UTG at a table of loose passives with 9To is not a good strategy. The tighter the table, the looser your opening range should be.

[/ QUOTE ]
Why not, I can vb my top pairs and they are going to let me draw cheaply if I flop a draw. If I am at a more TAGy table I am not going to see many flops if they find out I open with 9To UTG. And I think you underestimate your opponents, they often only play one table and they definately pay attention, they just donīt adjust very well. They call pf with ATC, donīt rr and stack off with any piece of the flop once they have found out you are FOS.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:11 PM

offsuit connectors are fairly rank IMO.
Old 06-29-2007, 12:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
offsuit connectors are fairly rank IMO.

[/ QUOTE ]
So there is no opponents and no table conditions that 9To canīt be played profitably UTG? That is a pretty big statement. My point wasnīt that you should play bad hands all the time, rather that my UTG raising range is heavily dependant on table conditions. How is that hard to understand?
Old 06-29-2007, 12:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Why not, I can vb my top pairs and they are going to let me draw cheaply if I flop a draw. If I am at a more TAGy table I am not going to see many flops if they find out I open with 9To UTG. And I think you underestimate your opponents, they often only play one table and they definately pay attention, they just donīt adjust very well. They call pf with ATC, donīt rr and stack off with any piece of the flop once they have found out you are FOS.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with this. While you aren't making money ON THE FLOP by raising weaker hands against such opponents, your implied odds against weak/easily value-towned opponents post-flop is better. In other words:

bad opponents=play more hands against them
Old 06-29-2007, 01:37 PM

grunch..

at a tight table:
22+, AT+, A9s+, KQ+

at a loose table:
22+, AJ+, ATs+, KQs+
Old 06-29-2007, 01:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
grunch..

at a tight table:
22+, AT+, A9s+, KQ+

at a loose table:
22+, AJ+, ATs+, KQs+

[/ QUOTE ]

my range exactly
Old 06-29-2007, 01:58 PM

yup it's a good one