Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 02-01-2007, 01:44 PM

Default Re: korean food

[ QUOTE ]
The spicy broth soups in this thread look really awesome; I'm always looking for good asian soups and had no idea the Koreans had so much to contribute.

[/ QUOTE ]
Korean food in general is very rustic and hearty. Humble, even. The BBQ thing is just our way of putting our best foot forward, but the stews and soups are the realest thing we do IMO.
Old 02-01-2007, 01:52 PM

Over the years I'm becoming more & more fond of hearty stews & soups, things with deep flavor that combines & develops over time with long slow cooking. I find grilled/seared stuff and typical bistro food less & less interesting.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Over the years I'm becoming more & more fond of hearty stews & soups, things with deep flavor that combines & develops over time with long slow cooking. I find grilled/seared stuff and typical bistro food less & less interesting.

[/ QUOTE ]

The marinaded bulgogi and kalbi have many layers of flavor (if done right) since they should be marinaded for more than a day or so. Bad places will just have a sauce on the meat, which will be noticeably bad.

The soups and hotpots are the specialties of Korean cuisine. Keep in mind that usually a hot pot will feed 2-3 people, and all korean cuisine encourages group sharing. The only thing that is truly yours to eat is the bowl of rice in front of you.
Old 02-01-2007, 02:21 PM

Samgyetang is one of my favorite heartier soups - very restorative great if you have a cold. It's a small chicken (stuffed with sticky rice), cooked in a very gingery, garlicy, scallion broth. It's light tasting and the chicken is falling off the bone if prepared well.

Gook Soo based soups - "Gook Soo" is handmade wheaty Korean cut noodles. Noodles cooked in a clear broth of garlic, anchovy, and potatoes, garnished with seaweed and maybe some kimchi. It's a very light, tasty broth. Meat is usually chicken, can be seafood. You can spike the soup with a chile-scallion condiment, if you want a little more kick (to taste).

-Al
Old 02-01-2007, 03:45 PM

samgaetang is the best soup, so good. jajang myun and jjam pong are chinese foods.
Old 02-01-2007, 03:47 PM

Ja Jang Myun is stolen from the Chinese but is very much Korean in the modern version of it.

-Al
Old 02-01-2007, 04:34 PM

Misc. things:

Bo-shin tang (also named young-yang tang, or gaejang gook) - has dog meat. Some restaurants don't have this, but you may see it. If you don't want to eat dog, don't get this.

Tangs and gooks are soups. Most simmer for long periods of time, with all ingredients in the soup. This usually produces thick stocks. Served in individual bowls.

Jjigaes and jims are more stews. They contain more meats and veggies than the broth. Usually these are cooked to order, with the ingredients often cooked before being added to the stew. And usually the restaurant will put the stew in the middle of the table for the enjoy at own pace.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
jja-jung-myun is very delicious and very inexpensive, usually around 6-7 bucks for the meal. It is a simple dish. Like many simple dishes, restaurants can either make it very well, or horribly. The bad ones will be oily, bland, and with very hard overcooked noodles. The better ones will have lots of meat and veggies in the sauce with noodles that don't stick.

I believe we stole this dish from the Chinese. Much like udon.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is my fave dish of all time. ok, maybe a bit exaggerated, but it's definitely worth a try.

some good locations i think at and around k-town, one in flushing, and a lot in northern jersey area.
Old 02-01-2007, 06:21 PM

oh yeah they only really exist in really korean areas, or korean/chinese fusion restaurants tho...

the packaged ones kind of suck, imo
Old 02-01-2007, 07:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Samgyetang is one of my favorite heartier soups - very restorative great if you have a cold. It's a small chicken (stuffed with sticky rice), cooked in a very gingery, garlicy, scallion broth. It's light tasting and the chicken is falling off the bone if prepared well.

Gook Soo based soups - "Gook Soo" is handmade wheaty Korean cut noodles. Noodles cooked in a clear broth of garlic, anchovy, and potatoes, garnished with seaweed and maybe some kimchi. It's a very light, tasty broth. Meat is usually chicken, can be seafood. You can spike the soup with a chile-scallion condiment, if you want a little more kick (to taste).

-Al

[/ QUOTE ]

Al, the first picture reminds me of childhood.