Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Brick and Mortar
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2007, 10:08 AM

Default Re: Crazy hand at the Wynn and a total D-bag move by a d-bag.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Two things that needed to happen; the dealer needed to make the side pots before he dealt the river card; and he needed to make D-bag put his $1K chips where they were visible, b/c I wasn't the only one who didn't know he was playing $5K behind.
-Tex

[/ QUOTE ]

1. It would be a big waste of time to set up all the side pots before the showdown. Why not wait to see if the biggest stack has the winner? If he does, we can just push all the chips to him.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just the other night the dealer did not make the side pots correct first, and here is what happened: (I had won the main pot but was allin): the dealer tried to push $640 too much to the winner of the side pot and I had to stop him or he would have shorted me $640. The side pot was supposed to be $80 not $720. The dealer was essentially trying to give me my last bet back plus the main pot, and push the other two side bets together to the winner of the side pot. I can see how an inexperienced dealer might make this mistake especially as he was about to be pushed by the next dealer in the rotation and wanted the hand to be over. He didn't even kill the losing hand before trying to push the side pot (losing hands should always be killed before any pot is awarded).

There is a reason for all cardroom procedures that exist. Short-cutting procedure often leads to error.

I do agree it sometimes slows the game down to make side pots, but it also seriously helps prevent errors. This is especially important nowadays with so many inexperienced dealers dealing NL games. Strictly following proper procedure reduces errors, helps protects all players, and avoids wasting huge amounts of time should a major dispute erupt due to an error caused by not following procedure.

I often get impatient with the slow pace of the games too, but there is absolutely nothing that slows a game down like an error causing a dispute. Procedures are your friend and protection, even if they take a little more time sometimes.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
There is a reason for all cardroom procedures that exist. Short-cutting procedure often leads to error.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct. The correct procedure is for the dealer to touch the chips as little as possible. If there is action remianing you shoudl form the side pot. If there is no action remaining you shoudl announce the side pot and get the hands turned up.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

This is correct. The correct procedure is for the dealer to touch the chips as little as possible. If there is action remianing you shoudl form the side pot. If there is no action remaining you shoudl announce the side pot and get the hands turned up.

[/ QUOTE ]

That sounds good, as long as "announcing the side pot" includes "announcing the exact amount of the side pot" if the chips are not already physically segregated into the proper side pot. Had the dealer announced the amount of the side pot before asking for the showdown, the error I experienced would have been averted.

If multiple side pots occur in one hand, I would think the side pots should always be physically segregated into their proper side pots before asking for the showdown.

Another thing I think dealers should do is to always request a showdown for the side pot before the main pot. Yes, that takes more time if the winner of the side pot also wins the main pot, but again, it is procedure and it can avert error. A few seconds extra is not much to avoid a problem.
Old 03-17-2007, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Another thing I think dealers should do is to always request a showdown for the side pot before the main pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most good dealers do this. In fact, they often specifically ask the all-in(s) to not show until the side pot(s) are decided. (they can still muck). This is to prevent someone from mucking a winner for a side pot when an all-in shows the 'winner'.
Old 03-17-2007, 11:00 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Another thing I think dealers should do is to always request a showdown for the side pot before the main pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

Most good dealers do this. In fact, they often specifically ask the all-in(s) to not show until the side pot(s) are decided. (they can still muck). This is to prevent someone from mucking a winner for a side pot when an all-in shows the 'winner'.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is a problem as is can be very hard to get the all-in player to just wait.