Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: What do you think of your Magic Bullet?
Worth the $$ 33 60.00%
Collecting dust in the attic 22 40.00%
Voters: 55. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-19-2006, 03:53 AM

Default Re: Lebron James - Best Player in NFL

All,

Sean Taylor was a beast in the Miami-Dade area at RB. His skillz couldn't carry to a top D1 program and I feel his have much more carryover.

Not to mention highschool -> college -> NFL are not even in the same sentence some of the greatest players at each level don't even make the next.
Old 12-19-2006, 04:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I always wondered how Shaq would fair as a tight end?

[/ QUOTE ]

I think his size in his Orlando days could would have been better suited for a DE if he had played football. Tall and freakishly athletic, I'm sure someone like that would be a nightmare batting balls down

[/ QUOTE ]

He probably doesn't have the raw speed to be a DE with that size and mass. If he had the reflexes and the agility to defend the blind side, he could be a great LT.

[/ QUOTE ]

Shaq would be a special teams superstar on the Field Goal block team.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've always thought that an NFL team should waste a roster spot on a freakishly tall kick blocker. I bet a Shawn Bradley type guy could get his fair share of blocks.
Old 12-19-2006, 10:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm pretty sure he was an all state wr in hs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Sure, but that was 6 years ago, when he was a sophomore in high school. Besides, he was probably more of the size of an ideal WR then - 6'5" is about the highest you'll see any WR go these days. If you're 6'8" the only place you're going is the Line of Scrimmage.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't buy your argument at all. He doesn't lose any value as a WR because he grew 3 inches. Most WR's are less than 6'5" because the combination of quickness, speed, acceleration, and agility required to be WR are usually not found in extremely tall people. James is a physical freak, who is very quick on the basketball floor. How would you defend Lebron on the football field? With a safety, or a tiny corner? You think he wouldn't be quick or strong enough to get open if jammed? Or do you think it would be easier to play off him and let him work underneath? He obviously has good hands, and his footwork and overall coordination lead me to think that he could run decent enough routes with a little practice.

This isn't Jordan trying to hit a curveball. I think James would be tough to defend, and at the very least would be an improvement over most teams' number 2 WR. I could see him being a pro bowl WR within a couple years.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:19 AM

I think he would be an NFL caliber player if he had stuck to football. He couldn't step on to the field today and be productive tomorrow, obviously. If he started football today, I think it's possible that he could be productive in a couple of years.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:23 AM

Not even close. Urlacher would get killed. LeBron is a phenomenal athlete. If he'd grown up playing football instead of basketball he'd have been a star in the NFL. He probably could have played WR/QB/S? There are a ton of sport specific skill and knowledge he is missing that would prevent him from being a threat if he were to try and just switch over now. He might make a team, but it would necessitate someone spending a lot of time with him teaching him WR, the only position I could see him realistically having a shot at at this point.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:25 AM

Check your sarcasm detector. I think it's broken.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:34 AM

Jack is right. I only have a weak analogy to share:

the second best player on our high school baketball team (6 foot 6, all time leading rebounder/7th best scorer at his Div I school, also high level pitching prospect) came out to play football with us. he was maybe the fastest sprinter on the team (through 100m, not in the 40)

he was a ridiculous WR, but that's b/c he was taller, faster, and more athletic than anyone else. he also had great hands.

but he wouldn't have these advantages in the NFL, which is filled with the best athletes in the world. you need tremendous athletic ability + football smarts + years of honed skills to be the best at that level.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Not even close. Urlacher would get killed. LeBron is a phenomenal athlete. If he'd grown up playing football instead of basketball he'd have been a star in the NFL.

[/ QUOTE ]

As others mentioned, he did grow up playing football. Many HS atheletes play multiple sports. Lebron played football and basketball.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:46 AM

an interesting parallel might be Matt Jones, who is 6 foot 6, and 240lb. He played Div 1 basketball, and did not play WR at Arkansas. I would wager a large amount he is a whole lot faster than Lebron James, though, with similar amount of "pure athletic ability".

In Jones' rookie season he recorded 36 catches, 432 receiving yards, and 5 touchdowns.

given that Jones was already playing football, and has a body type better suited for football, I think that represents the highest level of what Lebron could do in his first couple years.
Old 12-19-2006, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Check your sarcasm detector. I think it's broken.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pokerfink, I didn't think the question was serious, but I didn't know whether or not the 6 votes for LeBron vs. the NFL were serious.

Also, I know he was a receiver for a couple of years in HS (maybe just his sophomore year?)... but that gives him 5-6 years less experience (not counting anything before HS) then the average player entering the draft.

Anyway, its not like I was saying he couldn't make the NFL. Just that he would have a lot of learning to do first.