Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-12-2007, 10:46 PM

Default Re: ok so im a degenerate and didnt take a few days break... (200nl ha

[ QUOTE ]
plus you want pot control. The later streets will be much easier to play by checking here and seeing what cards peel off/the action.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think pot control is a reason for checking here, because our hand isn't good anyways and we're not likely to put anymore more $$$ in the pot if we're called.

also, checking can put us in just as tough a spot as betting...for example, if we check and the 2nd player to act bets the turn, we're in just as tough a spot with no clue at all where we stand.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:48 PM

I think you played it fine. You'll be ahead on the flop quite often and betting it will take it down pretty often. If we get called we'll often get to see a sd by checking through turn and riv. Preflop and turn is obviously standard, I fold the river.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
plus you want pot control. The later streets will be much easier to play by checking here and seeing what cards peel off/the action.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't think pot control is a reason for checking here, because our hand isn't good anyways and we're not likely to put anymore more $$$ in the pot if we're called.

also, checking can put us in just as tough a spot as betting...for example, if we check and the 2nd player to act bets the turn, we're in just as tough a spot with no clue at all where we stand.

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, our hand isn't too good here, and I doubt we're folding any better hands. So that's another reason I check the flop. I just mentioned pot control bc that's a bonus from checking, and I think the flop is the best spot to do it.

And if either player bets out a decent amount on the turn (no reads) I have no problem folding. I don't really need to know where I stand bc there's just so many ways we're beat if someones's betting into this board vs 2 players. Sure he could have the Ad but thats just a small part of his range. Also, if we check and see it go bet,call its even easier to fold.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:58 PM

I don't think betting the flop is bad, but checking is just something that I think is slightly better and fits into my game well. Checking here with position is nice as we don't get check-raised by worse hands a lot and also (most importantly I think) it keeps the pot more manageable and much easier to play on later streets. This is a flop which we are not too likely to take down too often on the flop - every man and his dog peels with a small pair with a diamond, any pair, any decent lone diamond. We do not have good equity vs these hands especially 3 way, so I don't really want to put money on this flop too often. If your plan is to bet and shut down UI I think the pot is going to get taken from you on a later street by a fair few hands that you are ahead of, one which if you had checked the flop you could have got to showdown and won against.

Sorry if these ramblings are a bit incoherent, I've had a few.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You're right, our hand isn't too good here, and I doubt we're folding any better hands. So that's another reason I check the flop. I just mentioned pot control bc that's a bonus from checking, and I think the flop is the best spot to do it.

And if either player bets out a decent amount on the turn (no reads) I have no problem folding. I don't really need to know where I stand bc there's just so many ways we're beat if someones's betting into this board vs 2 players. Sure he could have the Ad but thats just a small part of his range. Also, if we check and see it go bet,call its even easier to fold.

[/ QUOTE ]

you make excellent arguments for a flop check. and i totally agree that if we are checking this flop, we should fold to any aggression from our opponents on the turn, so checking basically = giving up on pot, which is fine. i guess it's just preference as to whether or not to take a shot at this flop.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
you make excellent arguments for a flop check. and i totally agree that if we are checking this flop, we should fold to any aggression from our opponents on the turn, so checking basically = giving up on pot, which is fine. i guess it's just preference as to whether or not to take a shot at this flop.

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, if your not planning on calling at least a few turn bets I think you should fire the flop and have done with it.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:02 PM

thanks jay; good ideas there
Old 07-12-2007, 11:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Hmm, if your not planning on calling at least a few turn bets I think you should fire the flop and have done with it.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed...this is why i like to fire the flop
Old 07-12-2007, 11:07 PM

when I check this flop (and I do alot), I'm not necessarily folding to turn aggression.
Old 07-12-2007, 11:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed...this is why i like to fire the flop

[/ QUOTE ]]

Why not check and call some turn bets if they come? You have much better equity on the turn vs all the hands you were slightly ahead of on the flop.