Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-30-2007, 09:00 PM

Default Re: i always lose a huge pot in thishandsoijustkindagaveuponbettingthe

[ QUOTE ]
this is the same book that tells you to bet more with your big hands so you can get more into the pot on later streets which i think is stupid and transparent

[/ QUOTE ]

1) Have you read the book?

2) Have you tried what they suggest yet?

I've done both and the I've noticed the following:

1) You often do this anyway when you raise 4BB+1BB per limper. The only difference is that you will now open sometimes for larger raises, or make smaller raises than you would with limpers in the pot.

2) You are basing the size of your raise against the stack sizes of the opponents that you believe will be calling. This makes the size of your raises from hand to hand fluctuate constantly and provides a rather decent amount of randomization if viewed from you opponents perspective.

I strongly suggest that you read the book and have all of the information in context before discounting advice from players who A) play and win at much bigger games than you or I and B) were considered reliable and knowledgeable enough that the most reputable publisher of gambling books in the world saw fit to offer them a book deal.
Old 08-30-2007, 09:39 PM

that line makes absolutely no sense for me, I didn't read the disscusion above, but for god sake, bet turn and bet river. Why do You check behind his draw? You think he has a 9? BET THE TURN! I would also bet more on the flop as it's DRAWY and You make him do bigger mistakes by calling.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:03 AM

I'm not sure which hand Sean is talking about, but I completely disagree as you should be betting the turn in both of these hands. And if he calls and checks river then checking behind is probably best especially in hand 2 with the AJ.
Old 08-31-2007, 12:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
guys this is why i don't win when i raise non premium hands. it [censored] does not work to bet 2 streets into these people i'm just [censored] throwing away my money

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know why I'm trying to help you so much. But this line I think examplifies why you won't succeed how you want to unless you change your attitude. You need to understand variance. Your entire 10K sample means just about nothing. This 1 AJ hand means absolutely nothing. If you run this hand over and over and over again many times you will make a significant amount of money by putting in a good flop bet and then a good turn bet. (If the board were less drawy I would go ahead and argue for a turn check behind then a call if he bets river or a valuebet if he checks river.) You are trying to maximize wins and minimize losses and on a drawy board like this you do that by betting this turn. And btw your bet sizes often do suck so don't say that they don't mean anything because they do....it definitely costs you money.

You are playing what? like an 18/6 game? Probably like 98% of the biggest winners in this forum and the small stakes forum and I'd think probably the mid-stakes forum play somewhere between a 16/12 - 21.5/18 game. Though as you move higher and higher up more players get closer to the 21.5/18. And when you get really high you find the absolute best players in the world playing just a ridculous LAG game that would make you sick....it mystifies me looking at the numbers that people attribute to them.

You seek out advice and I think you really need to take it. Read the stickies in here and in small stakes specifically pokey on blind stealing and dbitel on taking blind stealing to the next level. I think those hands may help fix and ramp up your aggression pre-flop versus the passive pre-flop game you seem to play now.

Sorry, but I see you posting over and over and over again and while I see you getting slightly better you could have gotten so much better already and you're still making the same mistakes that I've seen you make in post after post despite getting pretty decent to good to great advice in many a thread.

I'm not dumping on you...I am legitimately trying to help. It really wasn't long ago that I was a 1.8PTBB/100 hand winner at 50 NL and was slightly discouraged. But just a few months and 200,000 hands later and I'm at ~5.7PTBB/100 hands over my past ~72,000 hands. If you do the reading and work at it and take the advice given to you in your hand posts and really try it and try to post in other perople's hands and listen and ask questions and work with pokerstove a bit and focus on thinking about opponent's ranges based on the action on each street and the best move for your hand vs. that range: if you do all that you can get better and you can become a big winner and move up in levels.

Good luck. I will continue to post in your hand threads when I am available and give you advice to the best of my ability....hopefully plus everything else it's enough. Good luck at the tables (until you get to mine [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]).
Old 08-31-2007, 08:21 PM

here again is a similar situation. this river seemed like a must call if there ever was one.

Ultimate Bet - No Limit Hold'em Cash Game - $0.05/$0.10 Blinds - 6 Players - (LegoPoker Hand History Converter)

SB: $15.53
BB: $17.74
UTG: $9.28
MP: $14.70
CO: $7.52
Hero (BTN): $9.35

Preflop: Hero is dealt J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] (6 Players)
3 folds, <font color="red">Hero raises to $0.40</font>, SB folds, BB calls $0.30

Flop: ($0.85) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, <font color="red">Hero bets $0.80</font>, BB calls $0.80

Turn: ($2.45) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
BB checks, Hero checks

River: ($2.45) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 7[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] 5[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] (2 Players)
<font color="red">BB bets $2.45</font>, Hero calls $2.45

Pot Size: $7.35 ($0.36 Rake)

BB had A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] (flush, ace high) and WON (+$2.35)
Hero had J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] and LOST (-$3.65)