Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Ever tell your dad that you love him?
yes 208 66.67%
no 104 33.33%
Voters: 312. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-19-2006, 06:35 PM

Default Re: Your opinion of OSU - UM game

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

ok...side note

if the MIchigan player is not flying head first towards Troy Smith, do you think Troy misses the guy wide open for the first down?

[/ QUOTE ]

Um...yes? If Shawn Crable cranes his neck up about 15 degrees and leads with his shoulder pads instead of his face mask, does that really make a difference? I understand why referees are instructed to call that foul every time, but it's not as if it was a particularly vicious or reckless hit.

[/ QUOTE ]

you are way off and clearly biased. it was an obvious penalty. he hit the qb late and clearly on the helmet. whats to argue? sure, it sucks for such a stupid play to have such crucial impact on a game but thats sports. as an osu fan i wasnt really happy for such a gift but i cant imagine how anyone can say it was undeserved without being a sore loser.

[/ QUOTE ]

It was a penalty for the helmet part. Not for being late. Unless one can never hit the QB once the ball is released at all.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:35 PM

I agree with TomCollins, it was definitely not close to OSU's best game. It wasn't Michigan's best either, but both performances could be a result of so many different factors, both within the game and from all the hype during the week.

I am pretty knowledgable about college football, but don't watch as much of the SEC and Pac-10, so I don't consider my opinions as the end of every argument. So read the rest with a grain of salt.

Originally I wanted a rematch (definitely the alum in me speaking), but after having some time to digest it, it might not be the best thing for college football. We did have our shot, it was close, but sometimes you don't get all the breaks and/or perform as well as you'd like.

I hear people say "ideally, Michigan/USC/[insert team here] should be #2 because of x, y, and z." Fact of the matter is nobody is going to play perfectly every game, and part of a team's "greatness" is its ability to show up for every game and make the necessary adjustments. We got outcoached, no doubt about that. But we still came close. Is it worthy of a #2 ranking? My heart says yes, but it's not up to me.

I'll watch USC/ND rooting for ND, as I want my team to play for it all. I'm not in control of the BCS, and if it works out in our favor, fantastic. If it doesn't, that's life. Good luck to #2 in Arizona, whether it's Michigan or someone else.

Thatpfunk, we're not all sore losers. It's the emotion people display for their teams that makes college football better to watch than pro ball IMO (but that's a whole nother argument, I won't start it here). It's too bad the BCS has to screw it up.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:36 PM

[ QUOTE ]
mt2r, why do you prefer turf? i thought it caused more injuries.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't like the astroturf. I like the newer synthetic stuff, such as the type the Cowboys/Colts are playing on right now.

So far, the jury is out whether this type of turf causes more injuries at all. The biggest problem has been rubber dirt pellets hitting players in the eye.

I prefer grass, but it is unsustainable into November in the Northeast and Upper Midwest.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
UM homers, have you noticed how there isnt a single person with your POV who isn't a UM fan? at what point do you stop and say, um, wow, maybe i am being retardedly biased here?

[/ QUOTE ]

Both of my roommates and one of their brothers who were at the game and then watched it on television today at our house would all disagree. They are all Buckeye fans. One of them played DI football so he might just have a somewhat informed opinion.

Michigan came back to within 4 points with about 8:30 to go in the third. Then they got within 4 points again and had the ball with 12 minutes to go. OSU was solid enough that it never quite felt like Michigan was going to make it over that hump, but the fact is they were only one big play or drive away from getting there. The better team won yesterday but this was not a blowout.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
mt2r, why do you prefer turf? i thought it caused more injuries.

[/ QUOTE ]

AstroTurf is basically plastic grass on concrete. It sucks.

FieldTurf is plastic grass on a bed of crushed rubber pellets. It is reasonably forgiving. The only downside to it that I can think of is that it gets hot in the summer. That, plus you usually end up with bits of rubber in your pants if you hit the ground a few times.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:41 PM

"Thatpfunk, we're not all sore losers."

Def not. There have been some posters who have been very gracious and respectful (yourself, Scary Tiger, Hornacek, all come to mind). It is just tiring to hear so many flip out and think I (and anyone else that isnt a UM fan) have something against UM when we simply watched the game and are trying to view it objectively.

I def commend those who are gracious in defeat.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
UM homers, have you noticed how there isnt a single person with your POV who isn't a UM fan? at what point do you stop and say, um, wow, maybe i am being retardedly biased here?

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but there are a lot of AP/Harris/Coaches poll voters and commentators who think so. Yes, I know, everyone is the mainstream media is retarded compared to internet message board dorks (only partially TIC, some of them clearly are). But c'mon, you're being ridiculous.

For the record, I thought OSU was clearly better but not dominant. But we knew/suspected that all along. They're also clearly better than everyone else. It's a matter of finding the second best team.
Old 11-19-2006, 06:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No, but there are a lot of AP/Harris/Coaches poll voters and commentators who think so. Yes, I know, everyone is the mainstream media is retarded compared to internet message board dorks (only partially TIC, some of them clearly are). But c'mon, you're being ridiculous.

For the record, I thought OSU was clearly better but not dominant. But we knew/suspected that all along. They're also clearly better than everyone else. It's a matter of finding the second best team.

[/ QUOTE ]
Also, let's not pretend that the fanboys of the pretenders aren't rooting against UM for their own team's benefit.
Old 11-19-2006, 07:13 PM

1st 1/2: OSU dominated.

2nd 1/2: OSU beat themselves. OSU goes to conservative playcalling, makes 3 turnovers and lets Mich back in. OSU overcomes 3 turnovers to still win the game. Michigan was never really a threat until near the end. Michigan, I thought, played a very good game and still lost convincingly for the most part.

I don't see anyone stopping OSU right now.

b
Old 11-19-2006, 07:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't see anyone stopping OSU right now.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty much what I think. OSU is the best team. Michigan gave it their all. We caught some breaks, as did OSU. Maybe we caught more. Maybe the field made a difference. But they are undoubtedly a better team. They are undoubtedly better than anyone else.

But...that doesn't mean they can't lose (Miami 2002 says hello). I'd love to get another crack, but if USC wins, its theirs. If not, anyone's guess as to what happens or who deserves it.