Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-18-2007, 01:05 AM

Default Re: Post College-getting a menial PT sales/retail job to meet people

NT,

I don't know anything about construction other than what basic tools are and a few simple skills. What would my construction options be - laying shingles? Cleaning up debris? I'm pretty curious.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:08 AM

NT,

I'm sorry, but most guys in labor unions have some of the worst work ethic I've ever met in my life. Their goal for pretty much all of them is to just work enough in a year so they can collect unemployment for the rest of the year and get their year of service in the Union.

One one hand, I can understand because busting your ass in the Union isn't going to get you anywhere and it just means you'll be doing more work than the lazy ass that's getting paid the same as you. On the other hand though, they don't do things to better themselves.

Perfect case in point :

Last year, I was working on a project that was 7 days a week and anywhere between 10-12 hour days. In PA, the guys got stright time M-F for their first 8 hours and then one and a half after. Saturday, all day was one and a half and Sunday, they got double time. Out of 15 guys on that project, we'd get lucky to have 3 of them show up on Sunday. Their excuse for not coming? "[censored] that, I'm not working 7 days in a row!"

I still to this day can not get over the fact that these dumbasses would skip working a day of doubletime so they could sit at home and drink beer all day Sunday, and that's exactly what they did do as they told me. Never once did it occur to them that they could work Sunday for double time and take Monday off if they wanted to sit at home and drink beer all day.

GOD, I'm getting pissed just typing this up. These [censored] ruined almost a month and a half of my life because we were so behind schedule, which was the reason for a killer work schedule in the first place.

------------

This just isn't a one time thing either. I've worked with labor unions all around and it's the same [censored], different pile. Sure, you did have your skilled and/or intelligent guys that would use the labor union as a stepping stone to better themselves, but must labor union guys are just content with just doing enough to survive.

To me, you don't get much more stupid than that.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:11 AM

iggywh why do all ur posts suck and you have such a whiny tone. go back to some 2p2 barcrawl with strangers where your bs is tolerated ducy?
Old 09-18-2007, 01:13 AM

get a job at a bar. I just moved to a new city and got a job at a bar and I have met tons of people.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
NT,

I don't know anything about construction other than what basic tools are and a few simple skills. What would my construction options be - laying shingles? Cleaning up debris? I'm pretty curious.

[/ QUOTE ]

you would start off as a laborer and move up as you acquired skills. i would recommend being an assistant to a skilled tradesman, like a carpenter or a mason. this is what i did (masonry). i started off mixing mud, breaking and hauling rocks, etc but within not much time i had a chance to lay some stones myself.

in general i prefer working with a few guys rather than on a big site or something. if you worked for a general contractor or on a big construction site, yeah you'd probably start off removing debris, carrying materials, really mundane stuff. on the other hand, if you were part of a crew for a while you might have a chance to do more of a variety of tasks than if you just worked for a specialized tradesman, but i would still prefer something like what i did.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:24 AM

iggy,

wtf does this have to do with unions? i've never been part of a union, and the majority of people working in private contracting aren't in unions either. if they had the attitude you describe, they would be broke and out of business in a hurry.

[ QUOTE ]
n PA, the guys got stright time M-F for their first 8 hours and then one and a half after. Saturday, all day was one and a half and Sunday, they got double time. Out of 15 guys on that project, we'd get lucky to have 3 of them show up on Sunday. Their excuse for not coming? "[censored] that, I'm not working 7 days in a row!"

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah wow, lol at that, what kind of pussy doesn't want to put in 100 hours a week of manual labor? abolish the weekend amirite? you don't see doctors, lawyers, bankers, or stock brokers taking days off.

i really don't know why you are bringing up all this union crap.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:31 AM

We must just live in two different worlds. The work I did was in construction, but they were always with private contractors who had to hire labor union guys. I guess the labor unions had contracts with the places I did work at, such as power plants and natural gas companies. You must not be in that same situation.

But anyway, these guys were always poor and always bitched about money, yet were too stupid to work on a day that they were getting paid double time. Then, if they really wanted a day off, take the next day off where you're just making straight time.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:33 AM

iggy how stupid are you dude?
Old 09-18-2007, 01:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

But anyway, these guys were always poor and always bitched about money, yet were too stupid to work on a day that they were getting paid double time. Then, if they really wanted a day off, take the next day off where you're just making straight time.

[/ QUOTE ]

i don't know if this occured to you, but you are not required to be at work on sunday. if you want to miss a monday, you have to use sick time or vacation time, and if you are in the habit of taking mondays off after working on sunday, your boss is going to notice and you're going to have a problem.

but these guys are too dumb to realize this, being union guys and all, so i'm sure they were just being lazy.
Old 09-18-2007, 01:57 AM

iggy,

I usually enjoy your posts and what not, but this is a little off the deep end. You seem like a guy who is gonna work themselves into an early grave. Maybe their other friends had sundays off as well or their wives did. Not everyone wants to live the same way you do. You know how it goes everybody is just working for the weekend, or in your case you're just working.