Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-23-2007, 11:31 AM

Default Re: Buying a bicycle

I just bought this beauty at Walmart...

Planning on riding to the gym a few times a week (5 miles each way but traffic lights and stuff made it about 20 minutes) and around town.

If i get more into riding, i will buy a nicer (more expensive) one...

I removed most of the stickers and took of the reflectors and replaced with removable lights. Also want to add a gel seat cover or just purchase a new seat.

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=3663046

Flame time!
Old 04-23-2007, 11:37 AM

If you don't mind the embarrassment, spend another third of the price of the bike and get it checked over at a bike shop. It's hit or miss whether the people being locked in at WalMart doing forced unpaid overtime know how to put this thing together properly. Once you get used to riding on the skinny seat you won't need a gel anything for it and I sort of remember hearing you shouldn't be using them anyway.
Old 04-23-2007, 12:09 PM

I'm gonna add my question on to this thread:

I need a city bike. I will use it for getting around Boston/Cambridge/Somerville, which is relatively flat. 1 gear might even be enough for me, and I know I don't need 20 or whatever. I'll be using it to commute to work. I live in a high bike theft area, so I don't want anything too expensive and preferably a bike that has fewer removable components that can be ripped off. I'd like to spend under $300 if possible, I don't mind buying something used.

any ideas for the style I should get?
Old 04-23-2007, 01:19 PM

Kerowo,

The few bike shops i went in where overly egotistical douches, who scoffed at me wanting to spend under $300 to see if i even enjoyed a road bike...but i did make nice with one guy and will have him look it over.

what should i want as upgrades, if any? (i.e. aerobars...)
Old 04-23-2007, 01:25 PM

Bandit,

Finding a good bike shop guy isn't 100% necessary. Just find someone you know who is an experienced rider to give it a look over. Try this thing out, and if you like it, then upgrade to a better bike with better components, etc.

And, to be honest, putting $60-$120 aerobars on a $300 bike is kind of a waste. If you're going to spend money on something, spend some money and buy a good (Giro, etc.) helmet. I wouldn't waste the money on a gel seat cover either. If you ride every day, you'll never want to use it.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Kerowo,

The few bike shops i went in where overly egotistical douches, who scoffed at me wanting to spend under $300 to see if i even enjoyed a road bike...but i did make nice with one guy and will have him look it over.

what should i want as upgrades, if any? (i.e. aerobars...)

[/ QUOTE ]

spend absolutely zero dollars upgrading that bike. It is a pile of junk, and the suggestion to have it looked over by a profesional is a good one, im suprised WALmart hasnt been sued to all hell by some kid killing himself on a bicycle that was put together by an employee who has no idea what hes doing. It amazes me when I see one at the store just how unsafe they are.

If you find you enjoy riding a road bike, then upgrade to a decent one. If you dont wanan spend some coin, buy a used bike. You can get amazing value from a used bike, espeically from a road bike because wear and tear isnt much. Any money you spend on upgrading that bicycle will be a complete waste.
Old 04-23-2007, 01:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]

I need a city bike. I will use it for getting around Boston/Cambridge/Somerville, which is relatively flat. 1 gear might even be enough for me, and I know I don't need 20 or whatever. I'll be using it to commute to work. I live in a high bike theft area, so I don't want anything too expensive and preferably a bike that has fewer removable components that can be ripped off. I'd like to spend under $300 if possible, I don't mind buying something used.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just look around for a used mountain bike. You wont ever use 27 gears but trust me, you'll be glad you have more than just one. You can get a decent used mountain bike for under $300. Make sure and budget in money you will want to spend on slime tubes, tire liners, a pump of some sort and a seat bag to carry a patch kit and a couple tools in, and a lock. A used bike may even come with some of those things, if not all can be had new for ~$80 if you shop smart
Old 04-23-2007, 01:42 PM

Alobar and onthebutton,

Thanks!

besides the part about me killing myself, i think we are all on the same wave length.

i hope logging about 10 to 30 miles won't make the bike explode!

any recs on a helmet?
Old 04-23-2007, 01:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Just look around for a used mountain bike. You wont ever use 27 gears but trust me, you'll be glad you have more than just one. You can get a decent used mountain bike for under $300. Make sure and budget in money you will want to spend on slime tubes, tire liners, a pump of some sort and a seat bag to carry a patch kit and a couple tools in, and a lock. A used bike may even come with some of those things, if not all can be had new for ~$80 if you shop smart

[/ QUOTE ]

what about a cruiser bike, something like the one below. I did the idea of "up high" handlebars, probably more comfortable than leaning down low on a mountain bike?

Old 04-23-2007, 02:00 PM

bandit,

I have a Giro helmet and a Lazer helmet. Both are comfortable. The main thing is a good fit and good comfort, and that's something empirical that you'll have to determine for yourself. FWIW, Giro seems to be very popular with both pro and recreational cyclists, and seems to be something of the industry leader.