Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-05-2007, 02:48 AM

Default Re: Express lane Discrimination?

basically QFT on everything NT! has said in this thread
Old 10-05-2007, 02:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
there are a lot of obstacles facing poor people, especially poor people of color in the inner city. some of those obstacles are ecological, coming from their own communities, or their own families. issues like culture of poverty, family conflict and poor mental health all have a cumulative effect spanning generations, and people blame them on either individuals or systems based mostly on their political preferences. the truth is that both are at work.

[/ QUOTE ]
Good points, just wanted to trim your post a little to the most relevant paragraph.

Obviously my knowledge of and education on these matters has been exposed pretty badly in this thread. I appreciate your elaborating upon it rather than just calling me dumb (which wouldn't be inaccurate but wouldn't solve anything either).
Old 10-05-2007, 02:57 AM

Granted, I'm a little twisted from my kickball game earlier and not taking sides, but doesn't NT!'s post just back up what tuq said?

Tuq, in a nutshell, says poor people suck at life more than people with money. NT then goes on to explain all the hardships poor people have over people with money.

So isn't NT just explaining why what tuq said is true?
Old 10-05-2007, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
How did you ban diebitter from the quiet zone?

[/ QUOTE ]
He said I had become a huge tool since becoming a mod so I had no choice but to ban him.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:06 AM

Sounds like he won that battle imo.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:09 AM

ed,

Yeah probably. But as long as the D'Backs and Red Sox keep winning at the same pace that I get owned I'm cool with it.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:09 AM

iggy,

yeah, you are pretty much missing the point. tuq was saying that people with money are in general better / more skilled than poor people, which is why they have more money. i am explaining how systemic biases and obstacles have a greater effect on poverty, particularly within the inner city, than most people really grasp. many of the skill deficits that people think are just natural - poor people are selected against because they are less intelligent or whatever - are attributable to other factors, be they direct systemic biases or more cumulative effects of living in an unstable and depressed community.
Old 10-05-2007, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How did you ban diebitter from the quiet zone?

[/ QUOTE ]
He said I had become a huge tool since becoming a mod so I had no choice but to ban him.

[/ QUOTE ]

vintage tub imo
Old 10-05-2007, 04:24 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Move to a neighborhood where your neighbors don't pay with food stamps. Problem solved. I can't remember the last time I saw someone pay with those, and I'm hardly a big balla.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have no idea what a food stamp even looks like. However, I have lived nowhere but middle class suburbs.
Old 10-05-2007, 04:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
here in NY they have debit cards that function as food stamps, it makes things a lot easier.

honestly i think part of the reason they don't change it in other places is to make it as humiliating or as big of a hassle for everyone else as possible.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm in NY, middle of Harlem, they always use the paper sheets here?

In regards to other comments, it's not an elitist thing, at least for me, on the books I could probably file for some government assistance, I don't because I don't have children and don't give a rat's tail.

However, I do have a bit of an issue when a woman with six kids, each of whom's sneakers and jacket cost more than all the clothing I have on, holds up my line and gets $500 dollars worth of free food.

Maybe I'm a jerk, but it's the encouragement to breed and hold up my line that aggravates me a little?