Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > STT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 02:42 AM

Default Re: Sit \'n Go Strategy by Collin Moshman

just on the other book review quoted in this thread:

[ QUOTE ]
Much like a pilot need not know the pure physics behind his flight, a skilled poker player need not know the pure mathematics behind winning poker play. Too often have poker books taken a purely theoretical approach to poker instruction.

[/ QUOTE ]

Any book on a mathematical game that includes this paragraph at the start of the review is not worth the cost of the freight, let alone the cost of the paper it is printed on.

Given that SNGs are an essentially solved mathematical process, avoiding mention of mathematics seems self-evidently moronic to me.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:09 AM

It will be an interesting read. I don't know if you can get better advice then from the best that post in this forum. If you get advice here and get some ICM software you can be a very successful sng player. I certainly wouldn't replace this forum for a book.

I'll stop rambling... I'll certainly buy the book since I love to play, watch, write, read, think, and listen about poker.
Old 07-10-2007, 07:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's safe to say that just like the rest of the poker world, Mason has no idea about proper SNG strategy.

As has been pointed out numerous times, the best SNG players in the world post here and not one of them was contacted for thoughts on this book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol. So why doesn't one of them write their own book?

[/ QUOTE ]

Duh. They make more money by playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

and in addition, again, because everything that could be put into a book on sngs is on this forum. a few STTers have had ideas for a SNG book, and with the respect and rationale that these posters have, I can only assume that they were not written for good reasons.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I think it's safe to say that just like the rest of the poker world, Mason has no idea about proper SNG strategy.

As has been pointed out numerous times, the best SNG players in the world post here and not one of them was contacted for thoughts on this book.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol. So why doesn't one of them write their own book?

[/ QUOTE ]

Duh. They make more money by playing.

[/ QUOTE ]

and in addition, again, because everything that could be put into a book on sngs is on this forum. a few STTers have had ideas for a SNG book, and with the respect and rationale that these posters have, I can only assume that they were not written for good reasons.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm sure that almost everything that could be written about POKER is on this forum, but it isn't all collected and organized or explained clearly.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:36 PM

Amongst the many reasons that the good players haven't written books for publishing is that they were told that 2p2 was not necessarilly interested in publishing a SNG book, and that if they produced a total manuscript it would be read and considered, but not definitely published as the demand was unknown for such a book. It's a lot of time to put in to something that won't make you a lot of money, even if they did choose to publish it, if you've got something better to do with the time.

As for this book, I have some healthy skepticism, rooted in things like Devin's response to the earlier Colin post (I think his magazine article). I'm much, much more troubled by the fact that there were apparently no SNG pros contacted to be reviewers.
Old 07-10-2007, 12:44 PM

Does it even mention SNGPT? I'm hoping no.
Old 07-10-2007, 03:52 PM

Hi citanul,

I too agree with that there was some reasonable hesitation on the part of two plus two in regards to publishing a book on Single Table Tournament Sit-N-Go's. Personally though, I prefer to be happy that they have gone ahead with the publishing after having realized the demand. It is my hope that the book will contain advice, such as "You will often take the blinds immediately with a 250 raise. If not, you can make a pretty easy fold if one of the big stacks comes over top, leaving yourself with well over 10 BB. And if you end up seeing a flop, high suited connectors play quite well post-flop."

Incidentally, why is not providing a screen name or evidence of success in STT's wrong? Well, it isn't necessarily correct to measure one's poker skill by cumulative profit. I am not claiming that my post is original or ground-breaking, and for experts such as yourselves, I'm sure you are already familiar with this material and much beyond.

But I would like to think that the hand examples and reasoning is of some benefit to newer players. If not, then I guess I'm typing up these long posts for nothing...

Best Regards,
<font color="blue">Cheese </font>