Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-11-2007, 10:41 PM

Default Re: Opponent says...\" That\'s why I hate limit\"

Seems to me that not all of the really bad players left.. as UTG is definitely one of them.

No he's just a bad playing regular losing player. The really bad ones call capped pots with hands like 45 off or 6 10 sooted.

Regular losing player has a clue about this game. I have played with him before.

We had some laggish kids who had position on him. They would frequently raise from lp. Regular Losing Player most likely went for a limp re-raise and whiffed. This time his plan backfired.

Perhaps you do not like FPS, however sometimes ..thats poker. If you ever get a chance read Skansky on Poker, he has an essay titled "Consider all Alternatives"

Its not always FPS, sometimes its tactics.

L
Old 03-11-2007, 11:37 PM

just to dynamic not to use 'never' in the context I used it in my post

I will have to get back to you on that one. I suspect you may have a point.
Old 03-12-2007, 12:26 AM

Hello all. Hopefully my virgin post will be sufficiently contentful and reasonable.

What jumps out at me is his call-down of your turn c/r. How does he peg you so solidly on a turned straight? Your leadout b/c, c/r sequence seem more consistent with a slowplayed set of 5s or 8s, and even if you do have a high probability of leading out this flop with open-enders, you could also have had T9 or 97 of clubs, giving a pretty solid semi-bluff against the top pair you must primarily put him on. Between making the good draws pay and making the 8s hurt, with the good redraws even if against the straight, 3-betting seems clearly right.
Old 03-12-2007, 02:27 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Weak tight tables need a completely different playing style.

That being said, most weak tight players are neither stupid or wasteful with their chips. You might raise, get a caller and wow, after the flop you win the blinds and one extra bet for this round. Do it again and how much action do you get? How about the third time around?

[/ QUOTE ]

This has been covered many times. If you want more action, raise more not less. If you aren't getting enough action on your EP raises, raise with T9s next time.

Just because the table is weak-tight doesn't mean you need to be.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep. If they're going to let you steal, steal relentlessly. Widen your raising standards from all positions. I find limping in fear of having others fold to a raise is really weak. It usually means you're not raising enough other hands and you're too predictable when you do raise.

The only time I limp with something big, that I'd normally raise, is in the hope of getting raised behind me, not because I want more people to limp in behind me because I fear not getting action if I raise.

It's not hard to outthink these types of players.

b
Old 03-12-2007, 04:27 AM

Welcome to the forum JGCA,

The guy called down, for the same reason that he openlimped with Jacks. He playes weak tight weak. Oops, did I include weak in there twice. He is the kind of player that just sits around waiting to get beat, and then wonders why he lost when he invited as many people into the pot as possible, and then let them have the odds to draw with an overlay.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Welcome to the forum JGCA,

The guy called down, for the same reason that he openlimped with Jacks. He playes weak tight weak. Oops, did I include weak in there twice. He is the kind of player that just sits around waiting to get beat, and then wonders why he lost when he invited as many people into the pot as possible, and then let them have the odds to draw with an overlay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Bob summed it up perfectly.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:33 PM

Limping with JJ UTG is just plain stupid, there's no reason, not even for "Dan Harrington Randomization", to ever do it at a full table.

Why would you willing invite any of the 3 overs to play against you so cheaply?

That being said, maybe once in 100 times you should limp with JJ UTG in the hopes of flopping a Set and winning a really huge pot.