Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-27-2006, 05:53 PM

Default Re: NBC/NFL waste flex scheduling on Favre\'s finale.

[ QUOTE ]
I disagree 100%.

[/ QUOTE ]
Its not Farve's job to determine when to retire except for his own personal reasons. Its his job to play his ass off for four quarters when the coach sends him out. If Farve is hurting GB by hanging on, the coach needs to cut him. I mean, could you walk away from the $8 mil per or whatever he's making? GB made an emotional decision to keep Farve and they're living with the results.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The NFL has made such a big deal out of the fact that flex scheduling will mean no more crappy primetime games then they pull this.

Technically the Packers could be playing for a spot in the playoff games, but they'll need a whole lot of help and will likely be eliminated before the game starts.

Green Bay can clinch playoff berth with:

1) GB win + NYG win + GB clinches strength of victory tiebreaker over NYG, OR
2) GB win + NYG loss or tie + STL loss or tie, OR
3) GB win + NYG loss or tie + CAR win, OR
4) GB win + NYG loss or tie + ATL win, OR
5) GB tie + NYG loss + STL loss + ATL loss or tie + CAR loss or tie

So basically they just decided that they'd rather show what could be Favre's last game than try to show the most meaningful game. Way to waste a great chance to show a great game.

I'm so glad I'll get to see 3 quarters of Brian Griese instead of a meaningful game.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is confusing. Essentially, if GB wins and NYG loses, GB is almost virtually in.

If GB wins and NYG loses, GB only needs ONE of the following:

A STL win, a ATL loss, OR a CAR loss.

Not far fetched in the slightest.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:08 PM

Favre either doesn't realize that he's not a top-level QB anymore ...or does and he's maybe a little more selfish than he's made out to be. Both are kinda sad imo.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If GB wins and NYG loses, GB only needs ONE of the following:

A STL win, a ATL loss, OR a CAR loss.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't correct I'm pretty sure.

They need all of those things to happen to make the playoffs. Not just one.
GB has virtually no chance. And NYG is practically in a position where they are in if they win.

Jared's thread on the playoff possibilities addresses this.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Favre either doesn't realize that he's not a top-level QB anymore ...or does and he's maybe a little more selfish than he's made out to be. Both are kinda sad imo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, I don't have any problem with Favre playing. Like Iron said, it's the coaches job to put the best players on the field. Saying that he "has" to have Favre played is dumb. In the NFL you either win now or you are fired. It's simple, and I'm sure he wants to keep his job. The coach will decide what is best for the team, Favre has to decide what is best for him.

Oh and being paid to do your job isn't selfish...
Old 12-27-2006, 06:24 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Selfishness... you mean the driving force of evolution as well as economics? Yeah, that's pretty evil!
Old 12-27-2006, 06:26 PM

I hope someone mentioned ratings in this thread. Bears being popular and Favre's possible last game might mean higher ratings than other possible games. BTW I don't think this is Favre's last regular season game. Even though Favre says records don't matter, he needs something like 7 TD passes to break Marino's career TD pass record and I think he'd like to get it.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Selfishness... you mean the driving force of evolution as well as economics? Yeah, that's pretty evil!

[/ QUOTE ]

I never said he was evil [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img]

On some small level it's sad to watch a great player when he's not great anymore but honestly I wouldn't give a rat's ass if he retired or not if I didn't know it was going to be mentioned 10,000,000 times on every NFL show I watch from now until whenever.

Old 12-27-2006, 06:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You know what he is getting at. That at this point Farve does not care about the packers, he cares about a TD record and the future of the pack be damned.

As I bears fan I say let him stay! Throw more picks next year delay the rebuilding of that team another year.
Old 12-27-2006, 06:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I hope someone mentioned ratings in this thread. Bears being popular and Favre's possible last game might mean higher ratings than other possible games.

[/ QUOTE ]

I understand what you are saying but Flex Scheudling was supposed to get rid of meaningless games. Wasn't it like 2 or 3 years ago that the Packers played a team that they were 100% going to face the very next week in the playoffs? And didn't Favre only play the first series and then the game turned into a preseason game?

If the Giants win on Sunday, the game pretty much becomes meaningless. Bears would have clinched and it will take pretty much a mathematical error for the Packers to get in. I don't see how this will bring in ratings. Especially considering the "drama" that Favre caused last year I'm not sure the sentiment will be there to sit down and watch his last game.