Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-10-2007, 09:23 AM

Default Re: Christians/Jews - Who should be more concerned?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I dont see a Jew's rejection of Jesus as any more shocking than a Christian's rejection of someone like David Koresh.

Lestat, your OP seems to suggest that you would prefer to have misinformation than no information? That astronomers should therefore consult astrologers and such like.

[/ QUOTE ]

No, I'm just saying it would concern me if I thought others might be privvy to information that I was not. To believe Christ is the Son of God must mean you have additional information than those who don't believe it. Whether that info is right or wrong is irrevelant. The question is, why don't others have it?

[/ QUOTE ]

Could it be better explained as "whether the (valid) information has been interpreted correctly or not is irrelevant"?

I think I dislike the idea of "wrong information" - is it information or isn't it? I guess the Jews believe they have as much information as the Christians, and that teh Christians are mistaken in their interpretation.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Or were the Jews skeptical of the resurrection?

[/ QUOTE ]

Jesus was rejected by the Jewish leaders while He was alive - He was turned over to the Romans for blasphemy, for claiming He was the Son of God, the Messiah.

The history of Jewish-Christian relations gets very complicated by the end of the 1st century. But I'm not an expert on present day Judaism and why they continue to reject Jesus.

[ QUOTE ]

shouldn't it have been obvious to everyone at the time that He was not a mortal man? How could anyone dispsute that?

[/ QUOTE ]

Almost immediately after they were delivered from Egypt by many miracles in fulfillment of prophecy, almost no sooner than they saw God's power in dividing the sea, when Moses left for a short time, they made and worshiped a golden calf.

Why do people like Dawkins admit there is an appearance of design but then say to believe it is designed is absurd?
Old 09-10-2007, 10:06 AM

[ QUOTE ]
He was turned over to the Romans for blasphemy, for claiming He was the Son of God, the Messiah.

[/ QUOTE ]

Is it not accepted that he was arrested as a common criminal for some sort of rioting or public disorder offences?
Old 09-10-2007, 10:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do people like Dawkins admit there is an appearance of design but then say to believe it is designed is absurd?

[/ QUOTE ]

Because it makes sense in anything above 1st-level thought. Hyenas sounds like they laugh but believing they are laughing is absurd.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:14 AM

I do remember the story of the golden calf. I have to look further into this. I think it's interesting how people would deny what was right in front of them (and you think I'm skeptical! -lol).

I don't think Dawkins denies either appearance of design nor design itself. He simply rejects the notion of a sentient designer or some grand purpose in any such design. As do I.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:14 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Is it not accepted that he was arrested as a common criminal for some sort of rioting or public disorder offences?

[/ QUOTE ]

Who arrested Him?
Old 09-10-2007, 10:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Hyenas sounds like they laugh but believing they are laughing is absurd.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your analogy machine is malfunctioning. Hope it's still under warranty.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:21 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I don't think Dawkins denies either appearance of design nor design itself. He simply rejects the notion of a sentient designer or some grand purpose in any such design. As do I.

[/ QUOTE ]

In your thread you asked for evidence. Appearance of design is evidence. At the very least it's correct and logical to say that inferring design from the appearance of design isn't irrational. That's a very weak, but very true, statement which no one on this forum will acknowledge, which makes it seem silly to put much effort into arguments here.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:44 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

In your thread you asked for evidence. Appearance of design is evidence. At the very least it's correct and logical to say that inferring design from the appearance of design isn't irrational. That's a very weak, but very true, statement which no one on this forum will acknowledge, which makes it seem silly to put much effort into arguments here.

[/ QUOTE ]
Except it isn't valid to infer design from appearance of design.

It may be rational to put some low probability on a nerdish kid with a chemistry set type creator ala DS but even that's arguable. Sure gets you nowehere near your chappie.

If it was the case that we could infer design from appearance of design then that would prove your god doesn't exist.

chez
Old 09-10-2007, 10:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Except it isn't valid to infer design from appearance of design.

[/ QUOTE ]

Truly wondrous.