Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-2007, 03:02 PM

Default Re: ** THE OFFICE DISCUSSION THREAD - THE UK AND AMERICAN VERSIONS ***

[ QUOTE ]
UK: Episode 5: New Girl

[/ QUOTE ]

Haha! Omg that pic of Gareth is so funny. I can't stop laughing! well, great example of why the UK version is better than the U.S. The fact that he is in that sidecar is so hilarious and as I recall you only see him for a moment so if you look away at the wrong time you could completely miss it.

I'm not even on episode 5 yet. I just remember that scene as one of my all time favorite scenes because of how disgusted Gareth was acting when he found out the woman had a husband. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

I'm currently watching eps.4. I stopped it for a minute to look for a quote. Tim and Gareth are trying to cheer up Dawn who's had a fight with Lee. Tim is awesome and Gareth is, well, completely unhelpful.
Old 10-14-2007, 04:20 PM

Best episode EVER.

David Brent misdirecting the trainer and stepping on everything he said was painful. OMG cannot stop laughing. You guys have to watch this episode again if no other.

What i love about this pic is how Gareth is such a nerd. He's totally getting into the song while the rest of the office is sort of going along for the laugh. (And why is Gareth always sitting right next to Brent? Like when David Brent is singing to Dawn, well there's Gareth perched on his desk right over Brent's shoulder. omg I was dying. too funny)

David:
Pretty girl on the hood of a Cadillac, yeah.
She's broken down on Freeway 9.
I take a look and her engine's started,
I leave her purring as I roll on by... Bye-bye!

Free love on the free love freeway,
The love is free and the freeway's long.
I got some hot love on the hot love highway,
I ain't going home 'cause my baby's gone.

Gareth:
She's deeead!

David:
She's not dead.

Long time later, I see a cowboy crying.
I said, "Hey buddy, what can I do?"
He says, "I lived a good life, had about a thousand women."
I said, "Well, why the tears?", he says, "'Cause none of them was yooou."

Tim: What? You?
David: No. He's looking at a photograph.
Tim: Right. Of you.
David: No. Of his girlfriend. The video would have shown --
Tim: Sorry, yeah. Sounds a bit gay at the moment.
David: It's not gay.

[promptly starts playing again, background vocals provided by Gareth and Tim]

[scattered applause]

Rowan: [clearly pissed off] Right, that's Lunch.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:35 PM

Your last two post are so spot on :-)

For the record i have not seen the US version, but will borrow it from a friend this week.

But to the UK version, the clip with Garreth driving away from club, and the total Quiz episode with the D Brent on Guitar is the nuts.

I almost died when i saw Diebitter with the Garreth clip in his avater.

Watching the UK version now again.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:49 PM

Ep 5 was the first time I tuned into the US series, and I it turned me off from the show. Very mediocre, imo (though still better than most of the crap that's on tv, it's just nothing special compared to Gervais's show). It was only until much later, when I had heard from so many people that it was great, that it had improved, that I started watching.

As for the UK series: it's weird how I seem to remember all the great Tim stuff and most of you guys are all about the Gareth.
Old 10-15-2007, 08:56 PM

No doubt that Tim is the big thing beside David, just his constant facial expresions, in the situations are so perfect.

But he is great in every episode, but is not so dominent in the the most "golden moments"
Old 10-15-2007, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No doubt that Tim is the big thing beside David, just his constant facial expresions, in the situations are so perfect.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes I agree! Tim is awesome. His facial expressions are perfect for the role.

For example, in episode 4 when Dawn is crying and Tim is trying to cheer her up, Tim is funny and kind which is exactly what a girl wants. Everything he says and the way he says it is perfect. You couldn't ask for a better guy friend than him. And when Gareth comes over and says "hey, don't worry cuz you know Monkey Alan down in the warehouse? He fancies you even if no one else does, so...."
(i'm actually not sure if he uses the name Monkey Alan. But that's how I heard it [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img] You English speak so damn fast!)

Anyway, the look on Tim's face when he says this is really good. And then of course he looks over at Dawn who starts to weep uncontrollably because of what Gareth said. And the reaction of Tim to Gareth is pretty hilarious as he tries not to yell at him.

Tim: What was that?

Gareth: You just can't say anything when they're like that can you?

Tim: No, you can't. I was doing okay. What were you doing with the Monkey Alan business?

Gareth: Well he fancies her, I'm just saying.

Tim: She didn't need to know that mate. It's Monkey Alan. You know I mean even the name...

lol! How did they not crack up when filming that scene. Those two make me laugh so hard. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 10-25-2007, 08:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

=================================
The Office (US): The Alliance...
Eh, this episode wasn't that great, with only a couple of laugh out loud moments (Dwight emerging from a box, and Dwight with bleached hair). Michael sweating over what to put in Meredith's card was okay, but the episode was pretty patchy overall. The relationship between Pam and Jim is very sweet though.

[/ QUOTE ]

U.S. episode 4

Can't say I disagree with any of what you wrote. This episode was just alright dawg. The idea of the alliances was great but the execution was disappointing. It could have been so much better. (My office has actually messed around with this concept a little. I think there's more potential there.)

Michael trying to write something in the birthday card was pretty funny. My problem is I simply don't like Meredith's character or the actress who plays her.

Yes, agree that Jim and Pam are sweet together in this one. Too bad the writers have nearly ruined the show getting those two together [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] this season.

UK episode 5

OMG. This has to be the most cringe-worthy episode so far. Ricky Gervais WENT NUTS. His leering at that poor interviewee, not to mention those horrendously stupid comments he kept making ("did you EXPLORE yourself?" WHO ASKS THIS KIND OF THING?! my god did I hear that right, did the man actually ask her that?) well, it was so awkward. Killed me.

Oh and that scene with the soccer ball, wtf? This guy takes the prize for being the most idiotic man ever to run an office. It was sooo embarrassing that even now I'm wincing. This episode, all by itself, illustrates everything a man should never ever ever do around women if he wants to look cool - Leer, show off, play soccer inside an office, become a drunken fool, etc.

The entire bar scene is gold. Feels like a real setting and gives you a clearer picture of who these people really are. I like this scene a lot. I want to watch it right now but I'm late for work! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

If you've never watched this series all I can say is prepare yourself for major awkwardness if you start with this one.

Hm, now that I'm thinking about idiotic men and inappropriate things they say, it would be interesting to discuss who is more inappropriate David Brent or Larry David.