Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-13-2007, 10:14 PM

Default Re: Learning to eat everything

Lightly blanched/sauteed and tossed with liberal amounts of sesame oil and garlic is the way to go for a lot of veggies IMO
Old 03-13-2007, 10:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Steak Tartare...
carpaccio

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, yes!
Old 03-13-2007, 10:25 PM

I grew up eating pretty much everything and being exposed to a lot of different foods. The one thing I really couldn't stand, to the point of gagging, was, oddly enough, sweet potatoes. Now, I love them; especially garnet yams--just baked in the oven for an hour, they are like candy.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I grew up eating pretty much everything and being exposed to a lot of different foods.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here. My mom has always been into cooking so we just got used to trying everything.

I will say I do not like pickles. Bleh. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 03-13-2007, 10:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Lobster - I used to dislike it, but have gotten over that. I still don't get blown away by lobster. I'm gonna try lobster at the next really nice place I go to. How about trying this at a steak place? Is surf and turf at a nice steakhouse generally a really good version of lobster? Or should I go with a seafood place to get a really great lobster experience? How about the type of place? Do I need to go to a really expensive place to get a really tasty lobster?

[/ QUOTE ]

no, in fact you should do exactly the opposite. or even, just cook the lobster yourself, it's as easy as making pasta. you're baller, just pay to have some shipped to you.

now, that is for a basic boiled (or grilled) lobster. lobsters cost around $10/lb in Boston retail shops , maybe 3 times that in restaurants. it's never worth it.

in fact if I get a lobster at a restaurant, it's a lobster roll, b/c that is tasty and easy and it comes in a hot dog roll which rules.

lobster does taste great as an ingredient, such as lobster risotto or lobster fra diavlo

wrt to crab, eh, I don't love it. the one great crab experience I had was in Bethesda, where we went to some picnicky crab shack where they gave us hammers and 30 crabs and pitchers of beer and we proceeded to bash away for 2 hours. that was a great experience.
Old 03-13-2007, 10:44 PM

I'm 41 and I would like to be able to eat "everything." But there are some things I just can't stand:

Eggs- the smell of scrambled eggs makes me wretch
Bananas- texture
mushrooms -- texture and concept
cucumbers- repeat on me-- nasty

my wife and brother in law can't stand onions. I love em.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:01 PM

All,

If you have a chance, try dog meat (with the accommodated veggies) and its broth. Hands down the best (and addicted) dish ever.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:10 PM

I grew eating nothing but the meat portion of the meal, junk food, and my lone veggie was cucumber. I've learned to like lots of things over the years.

I'm drawing a blank on things I currently won't eat (I guess clams, mussels, etc.. but I've really got no interest. If growing up on the beach in Mass didn't get it through me, nothing will!), but for now I'll mention a food I just recently started to like.

Beets! Beets were easily one of my least favorite foods growing up. I wouldn't touch them. A few months ago I saw them in the salad bar, and I'd put just a couple on because I knew they were good for you, and I could mix them in with a forkful of broccoli and not notice them.

Now I load those suckers on. I think just by slowly ramping on them you learn to appreciate the taste and the texture won't kill you. I don't really eat them with anything but salad, and they're always on the top of mine, so I eat those first. If anyone has some interesting way of preparing them, I'd be interested.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:16 PM

The thing about oysters and stuff related to that, imo, its ALL about the atmosphere you are in, and the weather. i can see how a lot of people dont get oysters, but as an appetizer, cold as ice oysters with cocktail sauce and horseradish, in a swanky steakhouse, there is nothing better. Clam bakes, outside on a nice breezy day is also when I like them, for some reason, eating them by myself in my apartment, its just not as good as when you are sitting with a chick and make an experience of it. i think a lot fo foods are this way.

Edit:

My drinking habits are really really closely related to the weather, the best thing in the world is a nice bourbon on a cold-ass winter night, but I coulnt imagine swilling the stuff when its 90 and humid, that is reserved for something like a rum and coke, or a vodka tonic.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:25 PM

two vegetables I never liked as a kid and basically forced myself to like a few years ago are asparagus and cauliflower. I eased into both of them, having them with other veggies that I liked and gradually getting used to the flavor. now I like them both plain, although cauliflower is still not my favorite.