Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Poker Beats, Brags, and Variance
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-15-2007, 03:35 AM

Default Re: Brag: Turned $36 into $10,000!!!

Nice work bro! I had you at my NL25 tables not that long ago.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:43 AM

Just learning the first 30k. Finally started winning, then ran bad, then moved up to chase my losses and was back down to $56 at @ 59k.

Was determined to no reload and grinded up til 85k when the best thing ever (poker-wise) happened to me...

I got in touch with a couple of fellow uNL'ers and we started chatting on AIM nightly. Then Skype and we keep doing this. Ever since, my game has been completely retooled and, well, you see the results. The brutal downswing @122k was largely take a shot at 200NL, getting owned then dropping back to 100NL and running badly there too.

I've since moved up to 200NL, but still the variance is far too great, imo. Giving nits too much action and not playing as well as I should. As I said, a work in progress.

So, it is what it is. But it's still $10,000 [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] Ever trying to improve and fix my leaks.

And on that note, a big THANK YOU to my live-in girlfriend who has supported me from day one and continues to do so. She's been there for me when it seemed like I never would win again and I'm a better man for it.

Thank you, Amanda.

Flame away, fellas.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
How many hands did you play at each level through your upswing?

[/ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
if i may ask a serious question, how many hands total have you played?

[/ QUOTE ]

I could post a screen shot of my PT, but to be honest, I'd prefer not to. That said, here is how it breaks down:

Any other ???'s fellas?

[/ QUOTE ]

How about a pretty graph then - if no PT Screen?

[/ QUOTE ]

I would but you guys would laugh [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img] When I first started, it was about 60k of breakeven play, then I won then I taught myself not to chase losses up at 400NL [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]

Then I retooled my game and truly learned BR management...

Then I got up to 100NL and destroyed it. But kept taking shots at 200NL and getting OWNED. And finally, I'm able to beat 200NL, but the variance is still rough. I'm still working out the kinks to not play so many big pots with marginal hands...

If you guys promise not to laugh too much......

[/ QUOTE ]

Dude, that sounds like a sweet graph. I had a ton of swings in my graph until about January or so, and then something clicked and I was like "lol poker" and it's straight up from there. Graphs that show improvement >>>>> graphs that show players grinding out pointlessly over hundreds of thousands of hands.

EDIT: Having been owned by your above post, graph delivers.
Old 09-15-2007, 03:50 AM

If you're the same felix person from Stars, I remember playing with you. Congrats on success
Old 09-15-2007, 04:13 AM

nicely done, sir. when i first started i was breaking even at NL25 for 50k hands, so i understand the pain one have to go through that learning stretch. Very nice brag, i hope i can hit 10k soon. Im still grinding at NL100, LOL.
Old 09-15-2007, 04:46 AM

Good job, must of had a revelation before the 60k mark.. Maybe that downswing? I'm on the same quest on bodog off a $20 deposit. Close to $500, I just need to stay away from blackjack and NFL bets.
Old 09-15-2007, 05:01 AM

Nothing to say but grats man, seriously you deserve this after all you went through. Hopefully it only goes up from here, and you can earn a great living at 1/2 and 2/4 ++. I think you said you were at ~$110 hr right now, which is damn good as is. Anyways, rock on! (and yes please do be a bankroll nit, you know what happened to me
Old 09-15-2007, 05:30 AM

Very well done.

BIGUP YOUR CHEST
Old 09-15-2007, 06:05 AM

Brag: Turned $10,000 into $0!
Old 09-15-2007, 06:12 AM

Thanks everyone. It feels pretty great and I'm happy, no doubt. But I have to give some credit to the guys with whom I chat with daily about poker. We ALL have improved immensely.

I've considered coaching, but to be honest, I'm teaching my GF right now and if after that, I make her a winning player, then I definitely will be looking into do some coaching.

Until then, I have plenty to yet learn, trust me.