Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-15-2006, 09:20 PM

Default Re: AFI\'s top 100.........

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the thing is, it's always tough to rank stuff that's still only 15 years old or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

...It seems to me that the 'test of time' is the great equalizer when it comes to these things, and therefore quality films of recent vintage will inevitably suffer because of it?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, but there are hundreds of films that in the year after they're released people are clamoring for them to be all-time greats, but are subsequently forgotton 20 years later. that's why it's hard to take seriously the "OMG, there are no new movies on there" cry, becuase it's usually just because those movies are fresh in people's memories

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that we're agreeing? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-15-2006, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Outside of 2001, Blade Runner, Solyaris, Brazil, and maybe The Day the Earth Stood Still, there just aren't many that get seriously mentioned as great films.

[/ QUOTE ]

*cough* Metropolis *cough*

[ QUOTE ]

re: TSPDT - yes, this site is great. I had never heard of it before seeing Pryor post it in the Lounge Links thread and use it all the time now, wonderful resource.

[/ QUOTE ]

isn't it awesome?
Old 11-15-2006, 10:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
the thing is, it's always tough to rank stuff that's still only 15 years old or so.

[/ QUOTE ]

...It seems to me that the 'test of time' is the great equalizer when it comes to these things, and therefore quality films of recent vintage will inevitably suffer because of it?

[/ QUOTE ]

yes, but there are hundreds of films that in the year after they're released people are clamoring for them to be all-time greats, but are subsequently forgotton 20 years later. that's why it's hard to take seriously the "OMG, there are no new movies on there" cry, becuase it's usually just because those movies are fresh in people's memories

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that we're agreeing? [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

looks like it.
Old 11-15-2006, 10:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I don't know about Lost in Translation. Each time I've watched it since the first viewing, it hasn't grown on me the way i thought it would when I first saw it.

[/ QUOTE ]

see, for me it went the other way. i love it more every time i see it

[/ QUOTE ]
Me too. I really enjoyed it at the theater, but it was only after watching it on DVD that I began to think of it as a masterpiece that has all time greatness potential.

[/ QUOTE ]

Same here.

Pryor, thanks for the link, I've never seen that top 1000 (or that site in general). It reminds me a little bit of

[/ QUOTE ]

a little bit of...?
Old 11-15-2006, 11:39 PM

I'm really happy to see Mulholland Drive at #1 on the TSPDT 21st century list. Some of my friends hate this, but I genuinely feel this is one of the finest examples of cinema as an art ever made. It truly is an experience and Lynch has you feeling exactly what he had in mind at every point.
Old 11-16-2006, 12:16 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm really happy to see Mulholland Drive at #1 on the TSPDT 21st century list. Some of my friends hate this, but I genuinely feel this is one of the finest examples of cinema as an art ever made. It truly is an experience and Lynch has you feeling exactly what he had in mind at every point.

[/ QUOTE ]

this is exactly my problem with that list. Some films are rated way too high, and others way too low. I think that In the Mood for Love is right where it should be, but, I am a big fan of sideways, but I wouldn't have it be the third best film of the 00s. I also think that City of God is way too low and same with Talk To Her, while we see american splendor in the top 25 and the Downfall not even make the list. Pryor is most likely right though that this list is based on metacritic scores and awards won. It will be very interesting to look at this list in even 5 years time as we will think, what was going on here
Old 11-16-2006, 02:46 AM

How did TSPDT leave Wake in Fright off their list? Rare & hard to find, but up there with the best of all time.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0067541/
Old 11-16-2006, 02:54 AM

Some more info - this film was nearly lost completely. Lear Media in Canada sell vhs copies that are very rough. I notice they now sell dvd's - so I'll probably get another copy. Here is a brief article on the "find"

http://www.theage.com.au/articles/20...?from=storylhs

And bit more info http://wwwmcc.murdoch.edu.au/Reading.../2006/wake.doc
Old 11-16-2006, 01:33 PM

Haha. I was thinking of metacritic.com, but I was going to erase that part and I guess failed miserably.
Old 11-21-2006, 01:34 PM

That site is really cool.
I noticed directors have a rating. I didn't find how to see a list by grade, so I compiled the list myself:

There are only 5 directors with a rating of 10 they are:
Luis Buñuel
Howard Hawks
Alfred Hitchcock
Fritz Lang
Martin Scorcese

I was surprised that Orson Welles, Jean-Luc Godard and Federico Fellini had a rating of 8.

I was also surprised that "A Clockwork Orange" did not make the list of "Must-See", "Highly-Recommended" or even "Recommended".