Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-2007, 07:33 PM

Default Re: Prof. Dumbledore is Gay

I guess that's why Harry didn't want to keep Dumbledore's wand...
Old 10-20-2007, 07:41 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Hold on a second. Just because Dumbledore liked the guy because they were intellectually on the same level does not necessarily mean that he wanted to [censored] him.

[/ QUOTE ]

if the writer...of a fictional book...geared for little kids....says a character is gay, he/she is gay. I guess if the character disputes it in the next book, Ill have to think differently, but keep me posted, I may be wrong.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:36 PM

This is so very random and pretty much not needed. I don't see the point of coming out with this or saying that any person over the age of 15 is partially gay for reading her book. It's not insulting...but it's really just uncalled for to retrocaticly mess with beloved characters.

I feel like its the south park where they stopped the directors from messing with their films. Dumbldore no longer belongs to her, he belongs to everyone who read and enjoyed the books. She messed with his character makeup in a way that was not needed at all.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is so very random and pretty much not needed. I don't see the point of coming out with this or saying that any person over the age of 15 is partially gay for reading her book. It's not insulting...but it's really just uncalled for to retrocaticly mess with beloved characters.

I feel like its the south park where they stopped the directors from messing with their films. Dumbldore no longer belongs to her, he belongs to everyone who read and enjoyed the books. She messed with his character makeup in a way that was not needed at all.

[/ QUOTE ]
No, she just clarified. It would be like if there were a character whose last name was never mentioned in the text, and Rowling made one up and gave it to him/her. Dumbledore didn't go from straight to gay, he went to unknown sexuality to known sexuality.
Old 10-20-2007, 09:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a sad, sad man.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:03 PM

I find nothing wrong with this. It doesn't affect anything at really except make it more plausible as to why Dumbeldore was close with Grindelwald.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Dumbledore didn't go from straight to gay, he went to unknown sexuality to unknown sexuality but gay in the current opinion of JKR is gay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who thinks there is now a correct, matter of fact answer to the question of "Is the character of DD in the HP books gay or straight?" doesn't understand anything about storytelling.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Dumbledore didn't go from straight to gay, he went to unknown sexuality to unknown sexuality but gay in the current opinion of JKR is gay.

[/ QUOTE ]

Anyone who thinks there is now a correct, matter of fact answer to the question of "Is the character of DD in the HP books gay or straight?" doesn't understand anything about storytelling.

[/ QUOTE ]
The movies are still going, and according to the articles, this is affecting them (Rowling had to make a script change to avoid a heterosexual aspect with DD). I do get what you're saying, though.

edit: I think Ridley Scott is totally wrong about whether Harrison Ford is a replicant in Blade Runner, so I see where you're coming from. But Scott's assertion doesn't make sense with his film and is worth resisting because it messes with themes, whereas this fits perfectly and is much less important.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
No, she just clarified. It would be like if there were a character whose last name was never mentioned in the text, and Rowling made one up and gave it to him/her. Dumbledore didn't go from straight to gay, he went to unknown sexuality to known sexuality.

[/ QUOTE ]
I guess I could see it like that. I just think it is very random and almost pointless to do this at this point. I don't know why this would help the series out as a whole. It just seems like she is throwing that out there so that she can stir up some forced controversy.
Old 10-20-2007, 10:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You are a sad, sad man.

[/ QUOTE ]
While this is a very true statement I don't think it's true because of this post.