Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 09:26 PM

Default Re: EDF MUSICIANS THREAD (Guitar/Piano/Singers/etc...)

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
What you don't see is conservatory students who enjoy rap or electronic music... maybe another 20 years, lol?

[/ QUOTE ]

not true at all. I went to mason gross for two years and many of us listened to rap and electronic music, and I left mason gross 7 years ago. I knew plenty of people who went to julliard, berklee, and eastman that listened to a very wide range of music.

Honestly, the people who pigeonholed their music and were snobs about it were generally tools. I listened predominetly to jazz when I was there, but I also listened to rap, rock, funk, etc.

I don't know what people you're hanging around with from conservatories to make that generalization

[/ QUOTE ]

Alot of them like it, but don't admit it easily, that was my experience. I guess I was more referring to the lack of mainstream acceptance of certain genres by conservatory students, rather than making a blanket statement about taste. But with your experience in mind, I may be overgeneralizing, or it's changed faster than I pseudo-predicted.

Lots of ppl are weird about admitting what they like. Some music students would belt out a million names/bands when asked who they liked, others would conceal their true faves and list off stuff they knew no one in earshot would "object" to. Many don't like their musical taste, a very personal thing, sneered or laughed at.
Old 10-12-2007, 11:11 PM

I have been playing guitar for over 15 years, and singing seriously for about 9(by that, I mean beyond the shower... [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]). I play a 97 Les Paul Custom and a Taylor 310CE. I did a 3 song demo when I was 19, which was alright, I suppose...but I am working towards producing my first full-length album by sometime next summer.

I also have played solo cover shows around Texas, and I always seem to get a good response, for whatever that's worth. I've played with bands before, but nothing longer than two months, usually due to guys not coming to practice, guys not knowing their instruments, or guys just being dicks.

At any rate, I'm teaching high school, but I'm 28, and still haven't given up on the dream yet...so keep rockin', I guess. If any of you guys live in the Houston area and you want to try something out, drop me a line.

Sorry to turn this into a Craigslist ad.
Old 10-13-2007, 12:23 AM

My mother, who plays guitar, bought me a Martin for my 25th birthday. I was having fun, just goofing around and learning chords and looking up tabs on the internet.

Now I have checked out www.uncletim.com and I am having a great time learning some scales and how things are connected. I really look forward to learning more, developing technique, etc.

I have been playing since December. Probably about 10 hours per week. Is a instructor really worthwhile? What are typical costs? Any other comments?
Old 10-14-2007, 10:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
What kind of keyboard would you recommend for a beginner? I'm willing to spend between $400-600 or so and hopefully last me for 2-3 years until until i'm ready for a better keyboard.

[/ QUOTE ]

young one, I'm sure someone in this thread can recommend a keyboard to you. Luckily I had the opportunity to learn and practice on 88 keys so I never invested in a keyboard. If you have access to a piano through school or a local music department, I recommend learning on an actual piano rather than a keyboard.

[ QUOTE ]
BTW surfin- what kind of LP you rockin? What year? Hand me down LPs rule. My uncle's got a 69 black beauty, with the original soapbar in there and everything- surreal sound. Got me a Studio about 3 years ago and absolutely love it.

[/ QUOTE ]

yea thats truly vintage. My dad gave me his that he bought in 79. LP custom, looks exactly like this.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:45 AM

I was considering a while ago recording some guitar tracks with my crappy mic then throwing them up here for some drummer or bassist to figure out something to go with them. Maybe I will after reading this thread again.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
My mother, who plays guitar, bought me a Martin for my 25th birthday. I was having fun, just goofing around and learning chords and looking up tabs on the internet.

Now I have checked out www.uncletim.com and I am having a great time learning some scales and how things are connected. I really look forward to learning more, developing technique, etc.

I have been playing since December. Probably about 10 hours per week. Is a instructor really worthwhile? What are typical costs? Any other comments?

[/ QUOTE ]

Instructors are huge in your learning curve and success, in my experience. Rates vary quite a bit, but if you can find a good one they help so much its amazing.

I have a Marshall JCM2000 DSL half stack that I need to get from St. Louis to San Diego...any of you guys have experience shipping such a huge/expensive/fragile amp?
Old 10-15-2007, 09:57 AM

my musical experiences are a bit less intellectual than most of yours!

i play in a pretty extreme oldschool style hardcore punk band called extortion. we are actually released on a pretty well respected punk label deep six in america (we are from australia)

also just started playing drums in a wipers/fugazi sort of style indie influenced semi-punk band.

i just bought a couple of new guitars recently too, the firebird is a non-reverse custom shop model that looks a bit more telecastery though (couldnt find pic online)

Old 10-15-2007, 01:42 PM

I want the Rickenbacker. Very nice.
Old 10-15-2007, 02:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I have a Marshall JCM2000 DSL half stack that I need to get from St. Louis to San Diego...any of you guys have experience shipping such a huge/expensive/fragile amp?

[/ QUOTE ]
Ship the head and cab separately. For the head, unless the tubes are clamped down, I would think about removing them and putting them in their own padded box. I see a lot of busted 4x12 cabs posted on the guitar message boards that I frequent, so I don’t know what to suggest for the cab other than to cover the speaker grille with a separate piece of cardboard, double-box the entire cab and pray.
Old 10-15-2007, 03:10 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Ship the head and cab separately. For the head, unless the tubes are clamped down, I would think about removing them and putting them in their own padded box. I see a lot of busted 4x12 cabs posted on the guitar message boards that I frequent, so I don’t know what to suggest for the cab other than to cover the speaker grille with a separate piece of cardboard, double-box the entire cab and pray.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thats what I was afraid of. I think I may stop by Guitar Center and see if they have any suggestions.