Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Tournament Poker > MTT Strategy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-19-2005, 05:57 PM

Default Re: Play a Hand With the Masters #1 Flop

well, there is 2K in the pot and 11K in my stack. I want this pot. The villains are certainly going to assume that this missed me (and of course it did), but that doesn't mean I am ready to give up. I'm betting out - 1200 is the right size. It is enough to show that I am serious about the hand while small enough to allow me the All-in bluff I'm planning on with FE over disagreeable hands like JQ. So my plan is to bet 1200, and then come over-the-top AI if raised to 3600 or less. This will be, naturally, after a considered pause in which I am carefully weighing my options and doing imaginary math in my head.

Why am I doing this? Because I believe I have FE over any pair. I am going home if they have T9, or trips, but that's ok. A board like this, an AI to shut out all draws is understandable and I think it is likely that they will put me on JJ-AA, or at worst AT.

CSC
Old 09-19-2005, 06:05 PM

Well, I advocated a non-standard limp from the button originally. But, since we've already put in the raise:

I'm betting between 1,000-1,200 here. We have position, this board presents potential draws to our opponents. I'm not giving them any free cards here. If I get check-raised out of the pot, so be it, the turn card might've gotten us into more trouble than it was worth for all we know.

Agression, agression, agression. You look way too weak to not bet in that spot. If you held a strong hand (let's say you flopped a set) are you going to allow anyone to draw for free with 9/10 on that board? I certainly wouldn't.
Old 09-19-2005, 06:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So my plan is to bet 1200, and then come over-the-top AI if raised to 3600 or less.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've done this. I've gone broke.

I'm taking the free card here.
Old 09-19-2005, 07:23 PM

I admire your aggressiveness, but this is only the 3rd level. I think it's great and it shows me you are a thinking player because you already have a plan in place for a c/r.
I think it's way too early to push with air trying to muscle
a seasoned pro like MJ and/or a tight player like the CO. I happily take a free card in this spot. I don't want to potentially risk my tournament on Ace high. On the turn if I
improve my hand I am in a much better position to outplay the opposition.

Bruce
Old 09-19-2005, 08:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I admire your aggressiveness, but this is only the 3rd level. I think it's great and it shows me you are a thinking player because you already have a plan in place for a c/r.
I think it's way too early to push with air trying to muscle
a seasoned pro like MJ and/or a tight player like the CO. I happily take a free card in this spot. I don't want to potentially risk my tournament on Ace high. On the turn if I
improve my hand I am in a much better position to outplay the opposition.

Bruce

[/ QUOTE ]

It is never too early to bluff if the board is right. A good bluff here will increase our stack 40%. It is just way too easy to chk/raise this flop with air. Also, it is very understandable that you would go AI here with JJ/QQ especially because on a board like this, if you had those hands, you don't even know what the scare cards are. A 6,7,8,9,T,J,Q,K could all potentially sink your overpair and you would be forced to decide if (when one of those 30 cards hits) your opponent is bluffing for all of your chips. Indeed, I would play it this way with JJ - and that is the definition of a well-timed bluff - would you play it the same way with a legitimate holding.

CSC

We've all gone broke on big bluffs, but you can't let that scare you away from taking advantage of these opportunites.
Old 09-19-2005, 08:17 PM

CSC:

I don't dislike your logic, but this is very early in this tournament and why not make this move in a better spot? You aren't even sure if any of your outs are good if you get called by a real hand.

Now change the 3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] to 3 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] and I like your line a lot. A whole lot.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:54 AM

check
Old 09-19-2005, 09:24 PM

CSC,

I'm curious about your play. In a given tournament, how often will you make this play? I think this is a fairly common situation. How often does it work? When you get called, what are you usually getting called with?
Old 09-20-2005, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
CSC,

I'm curious about your play. In a given tournament, how often will you make this play? I think this is a fairly common situation. How often does it work? When you get called, what are you usually getting called with?

[/ QUOTE ]

Mr. Moo, I rarely pull this kind of move in an online tourney In which I have no FE vs QJ and little vs JT. However, in a live tourney, it usually comes up about once a tourney. It is that one hand where the board is just so and the opponent is correct. However, later I can usually point to that one hand as being a key turning point in my tourney run. And yes, I've run head-long into some pretty good hands. At the WSOP with 150 left of 1200, my 82o fizzled against ATo on a AQT board sending me home wondering wtf I was thinking. (however, I stand by that play)

CSC
Old 09-21-2005, 10:51 AM
 is offline

[ QUOTE ]
well, there is 2K in the pot and 11K in my stack. I want this pot. The villains are certainly going to assume that this missed me (and of course it did), but that doesn't mean I am ready to give up. I'm betting out - 1200 is the right size. It is enough to show that I am serious about the hand while small enough to allow me the All-in bluff I'm planning on with FE over disagreeable hands like JQ. So my plan is to bet 1200, and then come over-the-top AI if raised to 3600 or less. This will be, naturally, after a considered pause in which I am carefully weighing my options and doing imaginary math in my head.

Why am I doing this? Because I believe I have FE over any pair. I am going home if they have T9, or trips, but that's ok. A board like this, an AI to shut out all draws is understandable and I think it is likely that they will put me on JJ-AA, or at worst AT.

CSC

[/ QUOTE ]

Boy, this is nutty. Does anyone else strong disagree with this? Are there really no better spots for you to get all your money in??