Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-14-2007, 11:29 AM

Default Re: Annie Duke Interview Controversy regarding Ladies WSOP event.

She is so insane. I even heard she traded her family for some meat.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:11 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So why should poker be segregated again? Poker is poker, it is not a gender specific activity. Not to stand up for ms Duke (because i am not exactly fond of her) but I can see the difference between having a ladies only class and event. The ladies only class can focus on topics related to being a female in the Poker world, and how to maximise certain male tendenacies etc etc. Ladies only circuits such a LIPS etc, are fine because they are not the major league anyways, but when we get to a "major" event like the WSOP(dont even get me started) there is no need for segregation. I can understand the need for a WNBA, but in the poker world, im not really seeing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

women arent as smart as men, they need a seperate event to be fair
Old 06-14-2007, 12:30 PM

Location: On my knees praying that God shows my opponents His power

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So why should poker be segregated again? Poker is poker, it is not a gender specific activity. Not to stand up for ms Duke (because i am not exactly fond of her) but I can see the difference between having a ladies only class and event. The ladies only class can focus on topics related to being a female in the Poker world, and how to maximise certain male tendenacies etc etc. Ladies only circuits such a LIPS etc, are fine because they are not the major league anyways, but when we get to a "major" event like the WSOP(dont even get me started) there is no need for segregation. I can understand the need for a WNBA, but in the poker world, im not really seeing it.

[/ QUOTE ]

women arent as smart as men, they need a seperate event to be fair

[/ QUOTE ]

While I didn't hold this opinion before reading the op, I do now.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:45 PM

I guess she's a hypocrite for using women's only bathrooms, too. If that analogy doesn't make sense to you, you're on to something.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The Ledermans should have stopped with Howard.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who's Howard Lederman?
Old 06-14-2007, 12:53 PM

However, here's the irony here given her stance about having segregated events for women only,

[/ QUOTE ]

more irony...

she wrote a book titled, "How I Raised, Folded, Bluffed, Flirted, Cursed And Won Millions at the World Series of Poker"

the "millions" she won was when she got extremely lucky in a 10-handed Sit N' Go against Phil in the T.O.C.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:54 PM

segregated competition = bad

segregated instruction = not so bad

this is pretty easy to follow.
Old 06-14-2007, 12:57 PM

wow, has she put a few pounds on her cheeks or is it just me?
Old 06-14-2007, 01:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
segregated competition = bad

segregated instruction = not so bad

this is pretty easy to follow.

[/ QUOTE ]
+1

having a segregated competition in a non physical "sport" is degrading. having segregated teaching among your peers (in this case women) is standard.

OP seems hysterical.
Old 06-14-2007, 01:20 PM

Location: this forum again I will ban you. If you send me an email or private message, I will ban you.

[ QUOTE ]
The concept of a women's WSOP event is horrible.

The same login that begets this event should lead to other fun stuff, like an all Vietnamese event.

I'm not bothering to read anything (and this isn't really the right forum for this, but I won't move it) but I'm pretty sure I agree with Annie's basic premise. There's nothing about being a woman that makes poker harder, and having a seperate woman's event is stupid and insulting.

[/ QUOTE ]

i disagree with this a lot. here is why.

Think of things as if you were a woman. Would you really be all that comfortable trying out a game that is a bunch of loud, generally douchey males who will be as sexist as humanly possible while you are at the table?

With a womens only event, a few things happen:
a) women feel more comfortable getting into an activity (poker) when they feel like they are in a comfortable environment. ie. not being berated by a bunch of sexist retard douches. i mean, you watch the behavior of people in the ladies event and they are having a good time and generally being about 50x nicer than a normal poker game. This is a good way to get people excited about what many of us feel is a pretty awesome game.
b) making people comfortable makes them like the game more and get interested. I always think of that one espn final table with that TOTAL [censored] douchebag, Brandon Cantu. Can you how many more people would be drawn to poker if the environment was inviting and comfortable as opposed to abrasive and incredibly unpleasant. imagine if you were new to poker and had someone berating you every hand? I know it happens all the time, but it still sucks. I know one of the reasons I play so little live poker is that it is incredibly annoying to listen to retard table coaches berate the fish all day.
c) not having a womens event just makes it more difficult for women to gain entry into what has historically been an incredibly male heavy game. This event is a brilliant marketing move because it makes a game more accessible to a group that is so massively under represented in the game.
d) I know my girlfriend and many others have gotten more into poker as a result of this event and I really see no problem with it. As i posted last week, Annie is a moron for passing up such a massively +ev event. Additionally, it is funny to me that she would say things like this, because annie strikes me as one of those complete douchebags that many of the women who enter this event are trying to avoid.

Just because something is sexist in its practices doesnt mean it is "wrong". the sexism here is allowing a group that has trouble getting into the game with a venue where they can give it a shot. I mean, if we think about it, the reason women are underrepresented in the first place is a result of sexism in the past. I know this event is sexist, but it is the most effective way to boost the numbers of women who generally play non-womens events in the future. Whereas with dids' vietnamese example this would obviously make no sense, be completely pointless and accomplish nothing.