Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes Limit
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-04-2007, 03:04 PM

Default Re: I have a problem...

imo, you're spending (and I can't believe I'm saying this) WAAAAAAY too much time thinking.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:33 PM

That certainly can be all to true.
Old 10-04-2007, 03:41 PM

what you are doing Kaatz is bankroll hedging.

If you have a leak point where the loss becomes irrelevant because its so big or you start changing yoru play style or limit to chase or protect (and trust me I was an expert doing this) and continually play past that number then yes put a stop loss at a fixed amount.

But if you analyze it immediately you are training yourself to play emotionally by reinforcing the results with your actions.

Divorce the result from the action by walking away and not look at it for a period of time.

Do a non poker activity before jumping in again.
Old 10-04-2007, 04:35 PM

Smufph, I started this regiment this week. I try to play my session in the evening and analyze the session the next morning. Like the graph of the OP, I am now back to even, still marginally up with bonus' included.

How do you percieve the best way to learn & study. Just keep playing large number of hands @ -2.5 BB/100 hands or slow the -EV process down like I am doing?
Old 10-04-2007, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How do you percieve the best way to learn & study. Just keep playing large number of hands @ -2.5 BB/100 hands or slow the -EV process down like I am doing?

[/ QUOTE ]

The problem is you're not slowing down the -EV process. Value doesn't care how long it takes you to play the hands, it just cares how many hands you've played. You're actually retarding the LEARNING process, by making it take longer.

And, it sounds like you're spending more time reviewing your own hands than playing them, for Shania's sake. It would be way better to play more hands, spend time reviewing OTHER'S hands, and never looking at your own, than to spend so much time agonizing over them.

Folks: stop worrying about how you should have played THIS hand; start worrying about how you should play hands LIKE this hand in the future.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:24 PM

A stop loss is only good if it has a purpose. Just hedging wins is not good. After losing 50BB, I am just out of control mentally. It doesn't matter if the session was 8 hours long and I played every hand well, I just lose it. I still play very good poker at -30BB, BTW.

So the minute you begin playing worse then you stop. If you get tired after 100 hands, the just play 100 hands, because you'll play worse after that. If you go on tilt after a big win (strange, but maybe...) then make a stop-win. The stop loss therefore is just a psychological help to stop you from playing a sub-optimal game.

On a huge winning or losing night, I'll review my biggest winners and losers of the night and analyze those. If I can't find anything noteworthy, I move on.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
On a huge winning or losing night, I'll review my biggest winners and losers of the night and analyze those. If I can't find anything noteworthy, I move on.

[/ QUOTE ]

fwiw, Bella, this isn't very useful. Flopping a set of aces that loses to a turned flush is going to be an 8-10bb loss, but it doesn't happen very often. Losing 1.5bb overplaying middle pair is a small loss, but one that you're going to have the opportunity to make a LOT. By reviewing only the big winners/losers, you are just doing a personal BBV, not improving your game.

Luckily, PT lets you filter for hand types, so you can better look for patterns other than big green numbers.
Old 10-04-2007, 05:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Folks: stop worrying about how you should have played THIS hand; start worrying about how you should play hands LIKE this hand in the future.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was mostly talking about tilt control. I don't review my biggest winners and losers to learn something, but to reassure myself that I played those correctly and that it was ok to lose that much. The 1.5BB hands you mentioned, I won't understand in such an altered state of mind...

An example:
I had a big live losing session over the weekend playing 15/30. Yep, I hit my stop loss. That evening all I could think about were my cracked aces and that stupid things. I was clearly on tilt an bemoaning my bad luck. It is only now that I'm analyzing my few missed value bets (which make up for about 2-3BB of my loss).

Boz, how do you deal with a big loss when there's no PT?
Old 10-04-2007, 05:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Boz, how do you deal with a big loss when there's no PT?

[/ QUOTE ]

Quite frankly, I don't know. I don't know how I deal with it when I have PT. I just don't ever play for money that I care about, and I know that I play well (1 or 2 or 5 missed value bets in a session is normal, and not enough to account for a large loss), so I don't tilt.
Old 10-04-2007, 08:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

thank you.

As far as playing with money you don't care about, I hope everybody on this board is doing that. But I also hope everybody on this board is caring about winning/playing better than their opponnents. I'm very competitive, so i want to win ALL the time, even though I know I can't. Beating micro limit hold em has been very easy for me in the past. I just feel kind of lost now, like I've learned too much, or played too high.