Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-22-2006, 05:11 AM

Default Re: \"The Prestige\" wtf? (spoilers)

LotsofOuts,

Jackman = Clone and killing one each night

Bale = a brother that died in the end meaning his machine was only for show, it did nothing and in the movie it tells you that--Jackman even gets pissed about it right before the cloning is found out (he finds all of the hats).
Old 10-22-2006, 05:17 AM

I have nothing to add, except I think that Chris Nolan is gonna be one of the best directors of our generation.
Old 10-22-2006, 05:27 AM

God, this movie kicks more ass each time I think about it. It was just so damn clever. Remember how one of the main points of the magicians early on is that secret on how to do the trick isn't the most important, but what's the most important is the magic trick or the illusion itself? It's noted that once you know the secret, the trick seems pretty obvious and makes sense. Nolan carefully crafted this whole movie into a [censored] magic trick. The movie itself followed the stages of magic: the pledge, the turn, and finally, the prestige.

Also, it's kinda funny because neither characters are truly protaganists. I mean, which is worse, living a total lie and lying to those you love everyday, or killing yourself (literally) every night?
Old 10-22-2006, 07:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So the one in the tank was the original? Did he use the machine right before Bale showed up?

[/ QUOTE ]

every night he preformed a clone died.

[/ QUOTE ]

Every night a clone dies, an angel gets his wings.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:13 AM

I still want to know if Cutter was aware of the Bale twins or not the entire time. Seems to me like he was.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:37 AM

He was certainly pretty sure that it wasn't the same guy coming out of the 2nd door.

I liked the movie but didn't think it was as good as The Illusionist.
Old 10-22-2006, 10:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Yeah I thought that the end of the movie really summed everything up well. As another poster already mentioned, the twin that didn't know the knot was the one being asked. He was the more daring twin, the one that took the chances.

I think I woulda liked the whole movie a LOT more if the Tesla guy wasn't involved. The ending just seemed like a really, really big cop out. The whole movie was based in reality, and showing the rather mundane truths behind each "amazing" trick, and then at the end its just like, "oh holy [censored] electricity was just invented and now hey Tesla make me a cloning machine, oh sweet yeah just like that ok I'll clone myself a bunch of times cya movie over."

My GF felt the same way, anybody else feel the "reality" of Jackman's trick was a cop out?

-Jihad

[/ QUOTE ]this is so true. taking this movie out of reality was a huge huge mistake. it could have been such an awesome movie. now it will forever be one of those awesome movies completely ruined by the ending.

also a big boo to the misdirection christian bale gave regarding the prestige of the transporting man (which was telling him the name tesla) actually turning out to be a legitimate solution to the problem. what and conveinant yet insanely unlikely coincidence.

at tesla's place. all those hats and cats shouldn't have been a misdirection. ie, tesla should have put them there to convince him the machine actually worked to string him along. i thought that was definitely the direction there were going.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:03 AM

yeah I thought that about the hats initially too, that they were planted so Jackman would keep giving money.

I wasnt crazy about thr whole sci-fi thing either, but how else is Jackman going to do the invisible man, without a double?
Old 10-22-2006, 11:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

I wasnt crazy about thr whole sci-fi thing either, but how else is Jackman going to do the invisible man, without a double?

[/ QUOTE ]I am not a writer but they definitely needed a different way. at worst write an alternate ending where hugh jackman never completes the trick without a double. christian bale never completed it without a double. you could still show off all the fancy twists and you could still show the effects of obsession on these men. the transporting man is/was hugh jackman's white whale, him never achieving the prestige he wanted and it ultimately causing his demise in some manner would have been appropriate.

taking it out of the realm of reality betrays the feel of the entire movie where these great magicians go to great lengths to create illusions. it cheapens it to the point where the movie is worthless in my opinion. which is sad because until the ending i was thinking this might have been the one of the top three most loved movies of the year. little miss sunshine and the departed would probably round out the top three.

also, if you have to do it, don't let christian bale say tesla then let tesla be the actual solution.

christopher nolan is obviously a talented guy, and i don't want to come off a some nerd who thinks he know more about this guy's own movie (a little late maybe) but i really don't understand his choice to do that.
Old 10-22-2006, 11:41 AM

actually, I think the whole idea of the movie, is that the trick is so simple, we just dont want to believe it. Thats why Bale had the double, becuase its as simple as that, therer is no mastermind trick, just dedication. Jackmans downfall was that he refused to believe that, and then drove himself to find a way to duplicate the impossible. This led him to this horrid machine, and basically turned him into a monster, where he has to kill himself every night.