Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-29-2007, 04:43 AM

Default Re: This is why I\'m for the death penalty.

[ QUOTE ]
So in 2006 the US was responsible for 0-91% of executions and previous to that killed 0-58 minors who committed crimes. Am I reading these statistics correctly?

[/ QUOTE ]
Try reading these statistics correctly, then:

- Iran executed 177 people, Pakistan 82 and Iraq and Sudan each at least 65. There were 53 executions in 12 states in the USA.

- Ten countries since 1990 are known to have executed 58 prisoners who were under 18 years old at the time of the crime – Afghanistan (extrajudically by the Taleban), China, Congo (Democratic Republic), Iran, Nigeria, Pakistan, Saudi Arabia, Sudan, USA and Yemen. China, Pakistan, USA and Yemen have now raised the minimum age to 18 in law. The USA and Iran have each executed more child offenders than the other seven countries combined and Iran has now exceeded the USA's total since 1990 of 19 child executions. Four child offenders were executed in Iran and one in Pakistan in 2006.

Oh, and China is by far the worst nation with unofficial numbers of 7.500 - 8.000 executions.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm against the death penalty for three reasons.

1) He could be innocent. The chance of him being innocent is always present.

2) It could be considered an "easy" way out, for him. I think a lot of people would pick death over being gangbanged for life in a prison.

3) The moral questions: Who are we to take a life? Is it right to kill someone just because they're bad? Etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Often I think its pretty obvious that the person is not innocent and cannot be innocent. There are clearly cases where the chances of the convicted being innocent is so slim it is not worth noting. When you have a dozen of eye witnesses, DNA, confession, motives, videotape and so on there is very litle reason for talking about "chance of being innocent".

2. Are we supposed to give the worst criminals the sentence that we believe will be worst for each and every one of them? In our society death clearly stands out as the ultimate punishment, and I dont think you can change that just because some convicted murderers might feel that life in prison is even worse.

3. Who are we to take freedom away from others? Is it right to tell people that "you have to spend the rest of your life inside this tiny cell" just because they have beeen bad? Who are we to judge anyways? And who are we to decide whats appropiate punishment and not? Someone who has taken the life of an innocent person might deserve to have his life taken too, imo. If he felt he was justified in his actions then clearly "we" are justified too.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Often I think its pretty obvious that the person is not innocent and cannot be innocent. There are clearly cases where the chances of the convicted being innocent is so slim it is not worth noting. When you have a dozen of eye witnesses, DNA, confession, motives, videotape and so on there is very litle reason for talking about "chance of being innocent".

[/ QUOTE ]
The chance of society executing an innocent person is always greater than zero. Not all murders have dozens of eye witnesses or CSI-quality DNA evidence.

[ QUOTE ]
3. Who are we to take freedom away from others? Is it right to tell people that "you have to spend the rest of your life inside this tiny cell" just because they have beeen bad? Who are we to judge anyways? And who are we to decide whats appropiate punishment and not? Someone who has taken the life of an innocent person might deserve to have his life taken too, imo. If he felt he was justified in his actions then clearly "we" are justified too.

[/ QUOTE ]
You can argue that it is necessary to put people in prison to guarantee for our own safety. It is, however, not necessary to kill them for the same reasons.
Old 11-28-2007, 06:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
The chance of society executing an innocent person is always greater than zero. Not all murders have dozens of eye witnesses or CSI-quality DNA evidence.

[/ QUOTE ]

Your argument seemed to be on a specific-case level. You said that there is always a chance for someone being innocent, and I argue that in some cases there are 0% chance of the person being innocent.

When there is doubt I prefer the person going free altogether, Im not in favor "well, you are 90% likely to be guilty, thats not quite enough to kill you, but we feel we are better off putting you behind bars for the next 25 years".
Old 11-28-2007, 06:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The world would be a better place if everyone carried guns.

[/ QUOTE ]

QFT
Old 11-28-2007, 05:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This is why upstanding citizens should be armed. I find it ridiculous that so many people are forced by law to place themselves at the mercy of these gangsta pieces of [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

Your logic is weak. DUCY?
Old 11-28-2007, 05:39 AM

FWIW, i'm suprised so many people here think it is good for the state to murder people.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW, i'm suprised so many people here think it is good for the state to murder people.

[/ QUOTE ]

As murder is the unlawful killing of a human being I dont think there are anyone here that think that is good.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:49 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

As murder is the unlawful killing of a human being I dont think there are anyone here that think that is good.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've learned not to go too for down that road. There are a certain number of people who do not have the capability to understand that while killing is usually wrong, there are exceptions where it is not only justifiable, but necessary.

Whether the death penalty is one of those times is up in the air for debate, and whether zasterguava is one of those without the capability to understand sometimes killing is morally acceptable, and necessary for the good of yourself or society I don't know, but I'm just saying this as a general statement.
Old 11-28-2007, 05:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
This is why upstanding citizens should be armed. I find it ridiculous that so many people are forced by law to place themselves at the mercy of these gangsta pieces of [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

Your logic is weak. DUCY?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do people have to use that freaking DUCY in stead of pointing out what they disagree with? It just slows the developent of the thread/subject down, and basically having the previous poster having to guess why you find his statements weak/wrong does not add much to the discussion. DUCY?