Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2007, 10:37 PM

Default Re: Overtimes

[ QUOTE ]
MLB + NBA have best overtimes. MLB is probably actually the best. NHL playoff hockey is pretty good too.

[/ QUOTE ]

NHL playoff hockey is amazing. I get the argument that its too long for regular season games but 4 OT playoff games are some of the most exciting sports moments in memory, for me at least.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'd vote that MLB, NBA and NCAAFB are the best overtime structures, and NFL and NHL are the worst.

[/ QUOTE ]

How is NHL the worst? I think hockey shootouts are among the most exciting things in all of sports to watch. I agree that NCAAF is one of the best and NFL is one of the worst though

[/ QUOTE ]

I think watching two chicks go down on each other is incredibly exciting. That doesnt mean its a great way to decide a hockey game.

Hold on, wtf am I talking about, thats an amazing way to end a hockey game, I change my mind.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'd like to see statistics on this but I suspect that having one team get 4 downs and one team get 3 (in CFB) is much more unfair then having one team get the chance to drive down the field and win the game (NFL). I can't stand CFB overtime, the field position game is such a huge part of football and it's completely gone in CFB.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well they only have 3 downs because they are cowardly bitches. Its not really a problem inherent in the structure.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Well they only have 3 downs because they are cowardly bitches. Its not really a problem inherent in the structure.

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? If you go first and it's 4th and 10 you have to kick a FG because if you don't convert, it's an insta-loss. Why do you think no team ever elects to go first?
Old 11-02-2007, 10:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
MLB + NBA have best overtimes. MLB is probably actually the best. NHL playoff hockey is pretty good too.

[/ QUOTE ]

NHL playoff hockey is amazing. I get the argument that its too long for regular season games but 4 OT playoff games are some of the most exciting sports moments in memory, for me at least.

[/ QUOTE ]

Definitely. But having regular-season games end at 4am or whatever would get pretty ridiculous super-fast.
Still pretty ridiculous for playoff hockey too. Super exciting obviously but still a problem imo.
Kind of frustrating that the sport's most exciting moments come at hours when most non-hockey fans are going to be even less likely to see them.
Old 11-02-2007, 10:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Huh? If you go first and it's 4th and 10 you have to kick a FG because if you don't convert, it's an insta-loss. Why do you think no team ever elects to go first?

[/ QUOTE ]

Its not an insta-loss, but of course, 4th and 10 isnt the only kind of 4th down. It makes no sense. What if its 4th and 4? If you kick a FG, what are your chances of winning? If you go for it, what are your chances of winning? If the answer to question 2>question 1, you get 4 downs.

If you go second and the other team scored a TD, you are no longer allowed to kick a FG. This is unfair!
Old 11-02-2007, 10:56 PM

I love the college FB OT. I like the back and forth instead of somebody who just wins a flip and scores right away. I feel that there's too much luck involved in the NFL OT.

For the NHL, they should remove the OT period and just do a shootout.

NBA and MLB are fine.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:09 PM

Vhawk, please answer this question.

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you think no team ever elects to go first?

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-02-2007, 11:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Vhawk, please answer this question.

[ QUOTE ]
Why do you think no team ever elects to go first?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

They like the feeling of knowing what they need? Most teams choose to receive on the opening kickoff of the game as well. Some dont, but some teams dont in OT as well. Humans do lots of irrational things, and this one isnt even irrational. It isnt -EV to go second but it might be more stressful, depending on your temperament I guess.
Old 11-02-2007, 11:29 PM

Vhawk,
Going second is +EV, but marginal here is a good example
4th and goal on the 1 you are team 1. Do you go for it?
Team 1 goes for it and misses
4th and goal on the 1 you are team 2. Do you go for it?