Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > Home Poker
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-03-2007, 08:57 PM

Default Re: List all things that make a home poker game good , or better

Here's some things I can think of:

- A good supply of players. I have a mailing list of about 25 players for my monthly tourney - almost all 30-40 something family guys - and usually end up with between 10 and 18 players for our tournies. I am constantly seeking new players to keep it stocked.

- Separate chips, cards, and a table for a side game for players knocked out.

- Software with timer running on a lap-top for the levels.

- Easy access to outside (walk-out basement) for the smokers. Similarly, an outside entrance so that they don't have to troop through my house - keeps the wife sane.

- A web page where you keep track of player points standings, with a trophy awarded at year end. I can't believe how serious people get over a $15 trophy - adds a lot of excitement and keeps a core group of players returning every month.

- AN easy-going, good-natured attitude. Especially essential for the host to maintain a level head when emotions run high - which can happen on occasion.

- My 1978 Gottlieb Fast Draw electro-mechanical pinball machine. Lots of good side action [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Good luck with your games -

Spike

PS - Game is near Kennett Square PA. PM me if interested.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:47 AM

I agree with the "other entertainment" rule. When I did my games at home (before the baby) I always had the PS2 ready for the early birds and for the players that busted out early. It's a nice way of killing time while waiting for the others. Also, it’s a nice way to make extra money on the side. There's a lot of action playing Mortal Kombat and Fight Night for money.
Old 09-04-2007, 10:56 AM

Chocolate covered preztals
Old 09-04-2007, 01:38 PM

The most important thing for a good poker game is to have a bunch of good guys who can afford to play and are not sore losers. Jerks and sore losers, even if they are big losers, will suck the fun out of the game.

My game has been going weekly (sometimes twice a week if I feel like it with people who can't get in the main game) for nearly 4 years and I have 10 guys on a professional hold em table with plastic cards, good chips, cut card and dealer button. The big winner each week brings dinner the next week and the second big winner replenishes the drinks which includes beer, wine, soft drinks, bottled water and hard liquor. These costs are a small fraction of the amounts won.

I have a mandatory start and end time and the game always starts on time. At quitting time those who want to continue to play can, those that are winning are not made to feel guilty for cashing out as the game has officially ended.

I have guys who like to deal that sit across from each other and alternate dealing (I use 2 decks), the people on their left deal when they get tired. You can also have the button shuffle and get the deck ready for the next dealer. Keeping play moving is essential and I feel we get at least as many hands in per hour as a card club. A couple of times we chipped in $30 a piece for a dealer for 5 hours (no tips but he made $270 plus extra over time) and everyone liked that as well. The only problem is a dealer takes up a valuable seat.

Bets should be left in front of players until the betting round is complete and then chips should be shoved together in the middle for the next round. Players should all be encouraged to help shoving chips and gathering cards to keep the game moving.

To summarize, have a good compatible group of guys who can afford to play and like to gamble, have a professional comfortable environment with a good table, chairs, cards and chips and have pleny of food and drink available. Lastly keep play moving with definite start and end times.
Old 09-04-2007, 04:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

Rule #1 of poker - do not put fingers that touch money, chips, and cards into your mouth.

Rule #1a - this extends to handling food

Rule #2 - do not provide food that creates dirty sticky hands, such as melting chocolate

Chocolate covered mushrooms, on the other hand, can only spice things up.
Old 09-04-2007, 06:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The most important thing for a good poker game is to have a bunch of good guys who can afford to play and are not sore losers. Jerks and sore losers, even if they are big losers, will suck the fun out of the game.

My game has been going weekly (sometimes twice a week if I feel like it with people who can't get in the main game) for nearly 4 years and I have 10 guys on a professional hold em table with plastic cards, good chips, cut card and dealer button. The big winner each week brings dinner the next week and the second big winner replenishes the drinks which includes beer, wine, soft drinks, bottled water and hard liquor. These costs are a small fraction of the amounts won.

I have a mandatory start and end time and the game always starts on time. At quitting time those who want to continue to play can, those that are winning are not made to feel guilty for cashing out as the game has officially ended.

I have guys who like to deal that sit across from each other and alternate dealing (I use 2 decks), the people on their left deal when they get tired. You can also have the button shuffle and get the deck ready for the next dealer. Keeping play moving is essential and I feel we get at least as many hands in per hour as a card club. A couple of times we chipped in $30 a piece for a dealer for 5 hours (no tips but he made $270 plus extra over time) and everyone liked that as well. The only problem is a dealer takes up a valuable seat.

Bets should be left in front of players until the betting round is complete and then chips should be shoved together in the middle for the next round. Players should all be encouraged to help shoving chips and gathering cards to keep the game moving.

To summarize, have a good compatible group of guys who can afford to play and like to gamble, have a professional comfortable environment with a good table, chairs, cards and chips and have plenty of food and drink available. Lastly keep play moving with definite start and end times.

[/ QUOTE ]

Can I join your game? [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 09-04-2007, 10:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

No.

[/ QUOTE ]

wrong! (well, it depends on the pretzels.

[ QUOTE ]
Rule #1 of poker - do not put fingers that touch money, chips, and cards into your mouth.

Rule #1a - this extends to handling food

Rule #2 - do not provide food that creates dirty sticky hands, such as melting chocolate

[/ QUOTE ]

First, what are these savages doing at your game- cramming their fists in their mouths?

Two- let me intro you to a modern invention... called napkins.

[ QUOTE ]
Chocolate covered mushrooms, on the other hand, can nly spice things up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, because dopey poker players make SUCH a smooth game....

You're going off the deep end, pfap :P
Old 09-05-2007, 10:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Chocolate covered mushrooms, on the other hand, can only spice things up.

[/ QUOTE ]

I want to play at pfap's!
Old 09-05-2007, 01:07 PM

Okay, then tell ya what, put your sweaty greasy hand deep in a bag of chocolate pretzels, eat a bunch of them, and then try to quickly wipe down your hands using just a napkin. Chocolate melts against skin, chocolate hardens against air, you have a messy hand unless you at least use some saliva, which leads to the shoving your nasty gross hands in your mouth.

I'm just sayin', maybe it's good for your small group of distinguished gentlemen, but with my large game of degenrates, it's just a recipe for disaster. Besides, any communal food carries with it all the [censored] that's on other people's hands as they reach in. Stand at the sink in a restroom for a while and notice how many people skip that step on their way out. Now look at all the people who do wash their hands and see how many touch the same doorknobs as those who don't. Then maybe look at the loosened shoelaces draging through nasty water on the floor and think about people who tie their shoes later. Etc etc etc. It's just... don't do it, I'm tellin' ya.

Or maybe I just think of Mallrats too much.

As to the mushrooms... I didn't say "smooth", I said "spice".
Old 09-05-2007, 01:52 PM

I only mention the chocolate covered pretzels because Lottery Larry was over my home game recently and he brought some CCP's made by his wife and they were very good.

Now CCM's sound disgusting...