Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-09-2007, 04:16 PM

Default Re: random sports stats/facts that surprise you when you first hear them

[ QUOTE ]
NCAA Tournament
Since the tournament expanded to 64 teams, there has never been a year where all four #1 seeds have made the Final Four.

NFL
Despite having one of the most heralded defenses in NFL history, the 2000 Super Bowl champion Baltimore Ravens finished only six total yards allowed (which is what the NFL uses to measure defensive rankings) ahead of their divisonal rival the Tennessee Titans.

The Ravens allowed 4,145 total yards (259.1 YPG) to the Titans (259.4). The Ravens also bested the Titans in total points allowed by just 26 (191-165, a difference of 1.6 PPG).

[/ QUOTE ]

"Just" 26 points better is a silly statement imo since the 2000 Titans had a great defense. That'd be like complaining that Jordan averaged "just" a few more points per game than Allen Iverson.

If your point was that the 2000 Titans defense was underrated due to being overshadowed by the Ravens, then I just misunderstood you and I agree completely. However if you're knocking the Ravens in any way then I completley disagree.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:18 PM

Default Re: random sports stats/facts that surprise you when you first hear them

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
NCAA Tournament
Since the tournament expanded to 64 teams, there has never been a year where all four #1 seeds have made the Final Four.

NFL
Despite having one of the most heralded defenses in NFL history, the 2000 Super Bowl champion Baltimore Ravens finished only six total yards allowed (which is what the NFL uses to measure defensive rankings) ahead of their divisonal rival the Tennessee Titans.

The Ravens allowed 4,145 total yards (259.1 YPG) to the Titans (259.4). The Ravens also bested the Titans in total points allowed by just 26 (191-165, a difference of 1.6 PPG).

[/ QUOTE ]

"Just" 26 points better is a silly statement imo since the 2000 Titans had a great defense. That'd be like complaining that Jordan averaged "just" a few more points per game than Allen Iverson.

If your point was that the 2000 Titans defense was underrated due to being overshadowed by the Ravens, then I just misunderstood you and I agree completely. However if you're knocking the Ravens in any way then I completley disagree.

[/ QUOTE ]

You misunderstood me. The 2000 Ravens defense was phenominal. I was saying that since they won the Super Bowl, many forget that the Titans had an awesome defense that year as well that rivaled Baltimore's.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You misunderstood me. The 2000 Ravens defense was phenominal. I was saying that since they won the Super Bowl, many forget that the Titans had an awesome defense that year as well that rivaled Baltimore's.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, my fault then. Completely agreed. On the same topic, call me a homer but I actually think the 2000 Ravens were tremendously underrated as a team because most people think their offense was so horrible, but it really wasn't that bad once Dilfer took over. I hope I get this stat right here....

In the past 25 years no team had outscored their opponents by a 2-1 margin. Under Dilfer, the Ravens outscored their opponents by a 3-1 margin.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok, my fault then. Completely agreed. On the same topic, call me a homer but I actually think the 2000 Ravens were tremendously underrated as a team because most people think their offense was so horrible, but it really wasn't that bad once Dilfer took over. I hope I get this stat right here....

In the past 25 years no team had outscored their opponents by a 2-1 margin. Under Dilfer, the Ravens outscored their opponents by a 3-1 margin.

[/ QUOTE ]

Dilfer's always been an underrated QB. I'm a lifelong Bucs fan and have always had a soft spot for the guy. Seems like a great guy too who works his ass off. I'm glad he got a ring.

He's nothing flashy, but with the right pieces in place he can efficiently lead an offense.
Old 08-09-2007, 06:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

'00 Ravens outscored opponents by 2.02-to-1 margin. (not 3-1)

First other team I checked in the last 25 years....

'85 Bears outscored opponents by 2.30-to-1

And there could be more, but didn't bother after that...
Old 08-09-2007, 10:16 PM

Default Re: random sports stats/facts that surprise you when you first hear th

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

would u rather win 9-3 or 35-20?
Old 08-25-2007, 05:18 PM

Not sure if this was mentioned but Christian Laettner being a former NBA allstar is not the most suprising/remarkable/unbelievable/interesting/mindboggling note on him.

What is, is that he was on the 1992 DREAMTEAM! You know, the one with Jordan, Magic, Bird, Barkley, Stockton, Malone, Robinson, Pippen, Drexler, Ewing, Mullin, and yours mutha f*ing truly....Christian Laettner??????????????????????????
Old 08-25-2007, 05:21 PM

Was watching a bit of the game on Fox today, Dodgers Mets, they interviewed Ralph Kiner and said he led the NL in homers 7 straight years. Surpised me.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Not sure if this was mentioned but Christian Laettner being a former NBA allstar is not the most suprising/remarkable/unbelievable/interesting/mindboggling note on him.

What is, is that he was on the 1992 DREAMTEAM! You know, the one with Jordan, Magic, Bird, Barkley, Stockton, Malone, Robinson, Pippen, Drexler, Ewing, Mullin, and yours mutha f*ing truly....Christian Laettner??????????????????????????

[/ QUOTE ]

Honest question. How old are you?

I'm not being a dick here because I was 12 then and remember it being well known at the time that he was on the team as the best collegiate player. I think most people thought it added a nice touch. I don't remember there being grumbling about who was dropped because of this, nor can I think of anyone obvious, though as I said I was 12 and am not a huge NBA guy relative to a lot of people.

I certainly could see this being surprising if you are younger than say 23 or so or just weren't into sports at the time.
Old 08-25-2007, 05:32 PM

'Random sports facts/stats that suprise you when you first here them'

This is the title of the thread. If it is more surprising to you that the OP posted Laettner as being an AllStar then him being considered 1 of the 12 best in the world at the time then congrats.

I am 30 and was plenty old enough to remeber him on the team. The fact that he is on the team is as startling now as it was then. Also, some of the other posts in this thread are very unremarkable but I didn't see anyone trolling them.

Seriously Jared...asking me how old I am in a condescending way...no likey. Don't do it anymore.