Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Business, Finance, and Investing
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-2007, 06:15 PM

Default Re: help me decide what to do with my money

[ QUOTE ]
Thanks [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] I actually have $50,000 online now, so im happy about that. I hahve been reading Why We Want You to be Rich by Trump and Kiyosaki and they are constantly bashing stocks and mutual funds, saying you have little or no control compared to other things, like real estate or owning a busisness. They also sorta bash trading stocks, like most of what I am hearing here, stating that the fees will eat you alive. So...I am wondering if what they have to say is true or if I should basically ignore it.

[/ QUOTE ]

They made their money in real estate. So of course they would recommend real estate over stocks.

Obviously, you do lose a lot of control when you invest in index funds (you have basically no control over what, e.g., GE or Microsoft will do in the future).

But the comment about trading fees is only applicable to active stock traders. The basic "index" investor rarely trades (the premise of index investing is buy and hold), so doesn't have lots of fees.

If you own your own business, you have a ton of control and could theoretically make a ton of money (e.g., this is how Michael Dell and Bill Gates made their money). But you can also lose all of it, which is unlikely with an index fund strategy.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:19 PM

Investing in yourself yields you infinite return on your investment.

Why the hell wouldn't you invest in your financial education?

Not educating yourself about something and letting someone else run the entire show for you (money manager) is the stupidest thing in the world and those kinds of people are the bottom feeders of investing.
Old 09-11-2007, 06:20 PM

Listen to Trump........invest in stocks with a small percentage of your investment bankroll.