Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Micro Stakes
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-31-2007, 11:20 AM

Default Re: Am i a donkey to even consider calling the river????????

i just think some villans could make strong moves against a opening button raiser from the blinds with pocket pairs, aj+, lots of things, if your good at post flop play which would be to raise that flop and then be able to get away from your hand, unless your talking about the calling on the flop and not PREFLOP-- then we're in totally different situations
Old 07-31-2007, 11:27 AM

Taylor's range OTB is often ATC, but UTG its pretty much more or less 88+ and AJ+. So he opens from EP with some premium, dont remember what - AK or QQ, someting like that. Everyone folds, SB 3bets with AJs and Taylor calls. SB catches TP on the flop, but is dominated and proceeds loosing a good part of his stack. When SB shows AJ, Taylor sounds like wtf and later calls the play terrible or atrocious or something similar. Before this instance, I never heard him speak badly of anyone's play. The worst I heard was probably "not so good" or "a donator".
Old 07-31-2007, 11:29 AM

Your right, but if GP does not think he is good enough to justify these plays at small stakes, I certainly don't think I am [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img] Like I remember a nice passage I think by muddy water.

You should only play a hand when you think you have an edge over your opponent. An edge may be coming from position, hole cards, aggression, or poker skill. Use the combination of those to take advantage of your opponent. But if you think that poker skill alone can make you money, think again.
Old 07-31-2007, 11:34 AM

i gotcha now, i completely agree, btw heres one last donk question whose GP?
Old 07-31-2007, 11:38 AM

GreenPlastic = Taylor Caby
Old 07-31-2007, 11:43 AM

good points all around, thanks for enlightening me corsakh-- i just wanted hellmuth (started post) to know that i'd drop down to NL 25 and start working on postflop play, this AQ IMO is not a fold preflop, but you have to raise the flop to see where your at
Old 07-31-2007, 12:13 PM

raising the flop here is HORRIBLE. Why on earth would you ever want to make the pot bigger with such a marginal hand?
Old 07-31-2007, 12:23 PM

For me this is read dependent. If I think he's restealing then I call PF and then raise the flop to see if he can beat my TPTK. If it's out of the blue then I probably fold given his tight PFR range. 18/12/5 is pretty tight but doesn't preclude resteals and AF=5 is agro which makes his strong betting in this hand potentially less of a worry. If he was restealing then he had no choice but to CB. If he's that agro / caught a draw then the 2nd barrel is likely. Once he's got to the river, is he really going to just check with a bluff?

I realise that raising the flop probably only folds worse hands and that "betting for info" is frowned upon but if that info reduces RIO losses then it is a price worth paying. I think calling two large bets like this is much more expensive.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:10 PM

grunch: I'd call just because of the dudes betsizing. If he's a halfway decent tag no way does he not have a ~PSB left on the river and have a good hand. Hopefully he was repopping u fairly often pre for ur preflop call to be good.

edit: I realize now they are mined stats and u didn't have the preflop read he was repopping light. Yeah fold pre looks good. Turn is a pretty thin call too considering he doesn't rr very often and probably isn't very bluffy.
Old 07-31-2007, 01:18 PM

preflop: 4betting 20% here, calling 30% folding 50%

flop: I'm re-raising here always to find out where I stand, if he shoves.... then meh, but im never calling

turn: as played I think you have to fold, which really sucks

river: is he ever triple barrel bluffing here? I mean most aren't really very capable of this at 50nl. especially the 18/12/5 type.