Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-07-2007, 01:48 AM

Default Re: Science Education in America: Why I\'m Homeschooling My Kid in Scie

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
It can be easily fixed. End the government school monopoly.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't know the government had a school monopoly.

what about private schools and home schooling and home schools?

that disproves monopoly right there.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you try to retain the money being sent to the public schools and instead tried to use it for private schools or homeschooling, what happens?

"Monopoly" doesn't necessarily mean only one provider. It means a grant of special privelege by government.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you try to retain the money being sent to the public schools and instead tried to use it for private schools or homeschooling, what happens?

"Monopoly" doesn't necessarily mean only one provider. It means a grant of special privelege by government.

[/ QUOTE ]

retain the money? lol. you try to stop the gov from thefting you and you'll wind up dead, no matter what the reason you have for doing it.

but as far as education, it seems to me the best education model is the apprentice model. what I mean by that is that if you look at elite say nobel prize winners, a way lot of them had mentors they worked with who were themselves nobel prize winners. I think I read an article by a nobel prize winner who said somtheing like that.
Old 10-07-2007, 02:09 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Okay Borodog, what's your hidden agenda this time?

[ QUOTE ]
It can be easily fixed. End the government school monopoly.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh, nevermind.

[/ QUOTE ]

Rduke55 asked the question. I answered it. I wish you morons would get a life and lay off the trolling.

[/ QUOTE ]

According to the new Webstorodog dictionary

trolling: v, (1) not completely agreeing with Borodog, (2) questioning whether Borodog really understands the concept of dimensional analysis.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
No child of mine will ever be fed to the public "school" system.

[/ QUOTE ]

Amen to that.
Old 10-06-2007, 11:22 PM

Default Re: Science Education in America: Why I\'m Homeschooling My Kid in Science

I've sent my kids to both public and private schools and the private schools are much more sticklers for organization and base their grades much less on knowledge of the subject than on other issues.

Anyway, a good class should be about knowledge of the subject matter, but it should also be about more than that. Learning to be organized and to do what you need to in order to prosper are, IMO, much more important skills than knowing science. A parent shouldn't "care less about the state of their goddam notebooks."
Old 10-06-2007, 11:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've sent my kids to both public and private schools and the private schools are much more sticklers for organization and base their grades much less on knowledge of the subject than on other issues.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say the "private" school market is a sliver of what it would be if the government were entirely out of the way. The obvious explanation for what you observe is that the private schools are generally tied towards religious groups today.

In a truly free market with less barriers to entry, other people would be able to provide the service.
Old 10-07-2007, 10:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'd say the "private" school market is a sliver of what it would be if the government were entirely out of the way. The obvious explanation for what you observe is that the private schools are generally tied towards religious groups today.

In a truly free market with less barriers to entry, other people would be able to provide the service.

[/ QUOTE ]

But surely according to the theory of comparative advantage, if someone is providing free education then the surviving schools that charge should be much better than the average in a free market?
Old 10-07-2007, 10:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

But surely according to the theory of comparative advantage, if someone is providing free education then the surviving schools that charge should be much better than the average in a free market?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why do you think this? If the government made us all pay a tax so that they could provide free sub sandwiches to everyone, and then they set up sub shops in every neighborhood where they gave away free subs, do you think this would improve or decrease the quality of food you'd be able to get from a private sub maker?

Hint: People like free subs. Sub makers would not be able to compete fairly, so the market (if it existed at all) would be a far cry from what it would be if it did not have this competitive barrier. And all the tax money that was taken to provide subs would have been better used by individual sub shop owners who have an obvious interest in providing a good service.

Moreover, I haven't looked into it, but I'm sure there are a plethora of laws that restrict who can provide schools and where, which I would of course argue interfere with what would be a better service if the market determined these things.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Why do you think this? If the government made us all pay a tax so that they could provide free sub sandwiches to everyone, and then they set up sub shops in every neighborhood where they gave away free subs, do you think this would improve or decrease the quality of food you'd be able to get from a private sub maker?

[/ QUOTE ]

It would increase the average quality of food from private sub-makers, while decreasing their number. This is because they have to compete with a free product. This competition will drive anyone who doesn't provide a premium, high-quality product out of business. Basic economics.
Old 10-07-2007, 11:45 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Canada has a decent ( but not great) government medical system. It's almost impossible ( for legal reasons) to set up private services in most of the field. But some manage to, and they thrive.
Politicians win and lose there power over the quality of the sandwiches, as seen by the voters, that is the control system. The evolution debates indicate that the voters aren't that informed to be able to act as quality control agents. Potholes they can understand.

luckyme