Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-03-2007, 08:38 PM

Default Re: Republican debate thread

Tommy Thompson looked rather stunned by the gay worker/employer rights question.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone tell me if God is mentioned this often in other countries' political debates? This seems excessive.

[/ QUOTE ]

In fairness to the GOP, this isn't a debate for the general populace. This is a debate for these guys to prove their chops to the base, and the GOP base has a large conservative Christian constituency.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tommy Thompson looked rather stunned by the gay worker/employer rights question.

[/ QUOTE ]
He came up with the right answer, though. The first freedom-minded answer from anyone but Congressman Paul :-)
Old 05-03-2007, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Can anyone tell me if God is mentioned this often in other countries' political debates? This seems excessive.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think I have ever posted in this forum but I had to come here to ask about a) the God talk and b) how utterly terrible McCain is.

Giuliani seems to be the person I would trust most to make decisions.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
He came up with the right answer, though. The first freedom-minded answer from anyone but Congressman Paul :-)

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounded more like a non-answer to me. They should have asked them all that question.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think I have ever posted in this forum but I had to come here to ask about a) the God talk and b) how utterly terrible McCain is.

Giuliani seems to be the person I would trust most to make decisions.

[/ QUOTE ]
There are two reasons for the God talk: 1. Many of these men are religious, 2. They are trying to appeal to deeply religious people who vote in the Primaries. These people build their whole world view around Christianity, so if you don't speak their language, you won't get through.

As for McCain, I wouldn't be ripping on Congressmen spending too much when he's the biggest insider in the field.
Old 05-03-2007, 08:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
Sounded more like a non-answer to me. They should have asked them all that question.

[/ QUOTE ]
He was definitely shocked by the question, but I heard him dancing around "the employer should be able to decide."

There's at least one thing I don't like about this format: everyone should answer every question.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Roe vs. Wade repealed == glorious day of human liberty and freedom!

Total classic.

[/ QUOTE ]

Who was it that said it would be the no. 1 day in US history?
Old 05-03-2007, 09:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]
There are two reasons for the God talk: 1. Many of these men are religious, 2. They are trying to appeal to deeply religious people who vote in the Primaries. These people build their whole world view around Christianity, so if you don't speak their language, you won't get through.

[/ QUOTE ]
Yeah, I get that they are pandering. I guess I don't like the idea of someone's faith guiding their decision-making.

I don't want to upset any apple carts in a thread I don't normally post in so I will stop there... cheers!
Old 05-03-2007, 09:04 PM

Am I the only who feels like Chris Matthews and the other moderators are giving McCain and Giuliani carte blanche to take their time answering the questions, while demanding 'yes or no' answers or other short quips from the other candidates?

Maybe my perception is off, but it seems like that. It seemed like Matthews demanded yes/or no answers to the stem cell question from all of the other candidates down the line, then when he got McCain, allowed him to thank Nancy Reagan for 45 seconds, then gave him another 45 seconds to give his spiel about stem cells.