Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2006, 03:02 PM

Default Re: Closest you\'ve come to death?

Cycling down Shattuck Ave in Berkeley, 1988. It's very gradually downhill, and I'm cruising on an old Motobecane 10-speed, going about 30 mph or so. A white Honda, driven by this person makes a right-hand turn in front of me.

I hit the brakes, get the front tire crossed up, bounce off her passenger door, and take a short ride in the air. I make a perfect three-point landing on my right knee, my left forearm, and my face. This guy walking down the street who may or may not have been a street person comes up, looks me over, and says, "Aww...you awright." and walks off.

Note that none of her books are about driving. [img]/images/graemlins/mad.gif[/img]
Old 03-17-2006, 03:05 PM

I did die. Then they revived me. I win. Twas as i was recovering from a heart operation to fix a hole i had in my heart. I got the whole CPR thing done. Pretty lame death though.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:07 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I did die. Then they revived me. I win. Twas as i was recovering from a heart operation to fix a hole i had in my heart. I got the whole CPR thing done. Pretty lame death though.

[/ QUOTE ]

So did you like talk to God and stuff?
Old 03-17-2006, 03:08 PM

ASU,

Only serious injury was broken collarbone (and concussion) for driver.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:09 PM

Nobody can hold a candle to astroglide but this was scary.

Due to there being little work and us being bored, we thought it would be a good idea to smuggle coffee out of the congo into kenya, where it could be sold for 50 times the buying price. The profit was so good due to the fact that there was a full on war in the congo involving seven african nations, but nobody had told us or the belgium coffee growers who were still in there.
So we hooked up with a captain in the ugandan special forces. We provided the cash, he provided the trucks and the soldiers. At the last moment my mate thought that it would be a really cool idea to tag along. I had a bad feeling but I gave in to peer pressure and the fear of missiing out on a cool experience.

We're a few hours into the congo and we drive through this strangely deserted and smoky village. One of the soldiers points above our heads. We look up and all the trees are full of body parts. I realise that the earth wasn't reddy-brown naturally. It got that tinge from the blood factor. They had a mortared the village on market day in the dry season, so the ground was rock hard. They handed us each an AK47, and it was around then that I thought we were in the poo.
We kept driving in our two truck convoy for another nine hours. My friend and I had brought a few cases of beer and we wisely decided that the only way to deal with this was to write ourselves off. Unfortuately the soldiers thought that was a good idea too.

We got to the growers plantation, made the buy, (he thought we were mad), stayed the night and left at 3 in the morning. We were pumping along in the middle of nowhere when we got attacked. There were rounds coming in all over the place. Coffee does not make a good shield against bullets. I sprayed what little ammo I had out the back of the truck without really looking at what I was doing. I'm lucky I didn't shoot myself come to think of it. A couple of the boys got scrapes but after they told me that it was just a minor incedent. I thought I was going to die and they said it was a minor incedent?
We did several more trips. The profit was insanse. The captain ripped us off for every cent. We were in no position to complain about it either.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:10 PM

I was once into skydiving and had made about 13 jumps...the last time, my chute didn't open and I deployed the secondary chute about 3 seconds before it would've been too late. I still hit the ground HARD and my shoulder is still messed up over it. Ruined my serve in tennis.

Scared the crap out of me and I will never skydive again.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:12 PM

March 2003, Iraq.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:20 PM

I've never come that close to death. but one time I was rappelling australian style (kinda like this, but without the gun):

and I hadn't checked too carefully before I descended. when I got down I found that I was fairly close to equipment failure and could've easily fallen 40-50 feet to my death/injury.
Old 03-17-2006, 03:25 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I come in second for hitting a deer on a motorcycle.

[/ QUOTE ]

that's one talented deer.

was he w/ this guy?

bwana
Old 03-17-2006, 03:27 PM

bwana,

should have seen the [censored] juggle chainsaws...