Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-07-2007, 04:15 PM

Default Re: Moral duty to pay taxes - when?

"You entered it by becoming a citizen. Feel free to exercise the exit option."

You're almost right. This world isn't big enough for the both of us (me and the state), but I'm not going anywhere.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You entered it by becoming a citizen. Feel free to exercise the exit option.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have some hot dogs. I am selling them for $100 each. Since you probably like to eat (or know somebody who does), I'm going to force you to buy them (for your own good - you just said you need to eat something!). If you don't want to buy them, you need to move to siberia, because I'm giving myself the monopoly on food distribution for everywhere except there. Your presense in my monopoly territory is tacit consent to my distribution scheme.

Oh, and as a bonus, I give free wedgies (retail value: $500 each, just because I arbitrarily placed that value on them) with each hotdog. Enjoy!
Old 07-07-2007, 04:20 PM

The state is not a private good.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
morally I would give my resources towards causes I believe in which would comprise .0000001% of what our tax dollars are spent on.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really get this. Even if the government didn't exist, and was replaced by the wonderfully efficient private sector, you'd spend a healthy fraction of your tax bill on roads, police/fire protection, national defense, etc. It must be at least 10% of what you pay now, and it's probably closer to 1/3 or 1/2 (depending also on what you would pay for if you had the choice). Do people not feel an obligation to pay for the benefits they receive and would choose to pay for in a free society?

[/ QUOTE ]

Given a choice between paying my taxes to Washington or getting a choice of giving those same dollars to causes I believe in and getting an equivalent credit, it's a no brainer and I may even spend more on those programs.

If we as taxpayers could tell the government where we want to and not want to spend our tax dollars on our returns or some other mechanism and have that enforceable, then all of us would see a big shift on what "normal" people feel are noble causes instead of the politicians. Just a thought which would never get past the money grubbing hands of politicians.
Old 07-07-2007, 04:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
The state is not a private good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Purple monkey dishwasher?
Old 07-07-2007, 04:54 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Arnfinn:

This may be better suited to SMP, but what is a moral obligation?

[/ QUOTE ]

Judging by the responses I used too strong words (and unclear [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) I think. I wasn't thinking of a situation where you have the choice between paying taxes and paying an operation for your child, rather in which regimes you would pay under normal circumstances because you would consider it the ethical thing to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless I'm missing something, I think you've just described tips/donations.
Old 07-07-2007, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Arnfinn:

[/ QUOTE ]

Judging by the responses I used too strong words (and unclear [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]) I think. I wasn't thinking of a situation where you have the choice between paying taxes and paying an operation for your child, rather in which regimes you would pay under normal circumstances because you would consider it the ethical thing to do.

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

You mean as the source of the income?
Old 07-07-2007, 05:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Arnfinn:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

*scratches head* Huh? I don't understand what you are asking at all, could you rephrase the question?
Old 07-07-2007, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Arnfinn:

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

*scratches head* Huh? I don't understand what you are asking at all, could you rephrase the question?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol, I did not understand your post. What did you mean by "I think you've just described tips/donations"?
Old 07-07-2007, 05:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Lol, I did not understand your post. What did you mean by "I think you've just described tips/donations"?

[/ QUOTE ]

Tips/donations seem 100% synonymous with anything that I would have a "moral obligation" to pay, if I'm not mistaken.

Here, let's start over. Please rephrase the question without using the words "moral," "right" or "ethical" so I can understand what you are trying to say [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]