FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Am I a racist?
Yes, definitely 47 31.97%
No, they deserve your sentiments 61 41.50%
Not sure 39 26.53%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-09-2007, 11:06 AM

Default Re: Strange Question for ACists and libertarians

Where's my "Sing loudly and horribly off key" option? This works best at a baseball game after 8-14 beers.
Old 08-09-2007, 12:27 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I voted option 1. I love the national anthem. I think it's very moving. At the time it was penned the banner represented the fight against oppressive government, and was not a symbol of it. That's how I interpret it.

I will NOT, however, pledge allegiance to a [censored] piece of cloth. I can't even understand how a patriotic statist can buy into that. WTF? It's ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

For the history buffs out there, note that the current "salute" of placing your hand over your heart was not the salute that the author of the pledge originally intended.

Francis Bellamy, you're a true american hero!
Old 08-09-2007, 12:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Can I answer? I'm not AC, but I am a civil libertarian who thinks that patriotism tends to be harmful in the long run.

Anyway, I take off my cap and stand quietly out of respect for my fellow fans. Many of them feel strongly about the anthem and our country, and it would be very rude of me to offend them. Ditto for church services.

[/ QUOTE ]

Patriotism is the fabric that holds a nation together and unites people that do not agree with each other 100% of the time and binds them to a common cause. Lack of patriotism is the reason Congress looks more like Parliament than it does the Congresses of the 60s through 80s and the reason that selfish interests trump the national interest. It is isnt patriotism itself that can be harmful in the long run, it is allowing patriotism to replace rational thought. One doesnt necessarily lead to the other.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's a question being begged here...
Old 08-09-2007, 12:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I voted option 1. I love the national anthem. I think it's very moving. At the time it was penned the banner represented the fight against oppressive government, and was not a symbol of it. That's how I interpret it.

I will NOT, however, pledge allegiance to a [censored] piece of cloth. I can't even understand how a patriotic statist can buy into that. WTF? It's ridiculous.

[/ QUOTE ]

For the history buffs out there, note that the current "salute" of placing your hand over your heart was not the salute that the author of the pledge originally intended.

Francis Bellamy, you're a true american hero!

[/ QUOTE ]

You're fond of posting that but the pledge was published on September 7, 1892. That's a while before 1933, so the Nazi comparisons seem a little off.

Cody
Old 08-09-2007, 12:43 PM

Love the song; just hope that people actually realize what the hell they're actually singing. [img]/images/graemlins/frown.gif[/img]
Old 08-09-2007, 02:00 PM

America The Beautiful > The Star Spangled Banner. Here's a link to the lyrics. I'd suggest reading them. It emphasizes our nation's natural beauty, our thirst for freedom, and pursuing "liberty in law." Certainly a better message than the resiliency of a large piece of fabric.

http://www.scoutsongs.com/lyrics/ame...beautiful.html
Old 08-09-2007, 02:56 PM

you a bit off on your math for #4

its more like 50% of your income once you figure all the hidden and multiple taxes, fees , and sunken costs.
Old 08-09-2007, 03:44 PM

All of those patriotic songs are dumb. I just stand up and eat some popcorn or whatever while they're singing it. In elementary school, the teachers tried to make everyone say the pledge of allegiance every morning. I never did, mainly because of the God part. I didn't really understand what it meant, but I knew it was BS.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I generally don't involve myself with such brainless people, but if I do I'll try to make them understand, but only if it's pleasant for myself as well, which is obviously the whole philosophy (no self-sacrifice and such).

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's vote on what Nielso is trying to say here.
Old 08-09-2007, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I generally don't involve myself with such brainless people, but if I do I'll try to make them understand, but only if it's pleasant for myself as well, which is obviously the whole philosophy (no self-sacrifice and such).

[/ QUOTE ]

Let's vote on what Nielso is trying to say here.

[/ QUOTE ]

Its a combination of the first 3 with the added largest component "We ACists would never leave our computers because we're too tied up in fantasy games".