Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-2007, 12:29 AM

Default Re: Should there be an upper age limit on driver\'s licenses?

[ QUOTE ]
Yep - or as other posters have noted, at least MANDATORY real testing at some point to be determined.

Of course, if you really want to get the most dangerous drivers off the road, no liscenses until you're AT LEAST 19 - you gotta be fair, right?

That's what I thought.....

MM MD

[/ QUOTE ]

For young drivers, I recomend that the learner's permit age be lowered to about 14 to give more time to practice. They should then make a law that driving with a permit is only allowed between 2am and 4am (when the roads are mostly empty).
Old 10-15-2007, 12:34 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know a lot of you are joking but if you seriously want to have a blanket upper age limit on drivers without taking into account if they're still rational and productive members of society then ... I dunno where I'm going with that sentence but it's a terrible idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being rational and productive has zilch to do with being able to drive well/safely.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume most rational and productive members of society also have control over their bodies, but quit being a nit regardless and add in "physically competent" or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you assume all old people are physically competent?

I'm going to nit it up again and say you're wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

why do I get the feeling you would fail this exam?

okay, I said... having a blanket ban on people over X age driving without taking into account physical competence etc. etc. is a terrible idea, not that "all old people are physically competent." k?
Old 10-15-2007, 12:35 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

lol @ ben & jerry's on haight & ashbury.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:36 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yep - or as other posters have noted, at least MANDATORY real testing at some point to be determined.

Of course, if you really want to get the most dangerous drivers off the road, no liscenses until you're AT LEAST 19 - you gotta be fair, right?

That's what I thought.....

MM MD

[/ QUOTE ]

For young drivers, I recomend that the learner's permit age be lowered to about 14 to give more time to practice. They should then make a law that driving with a permit is only allowed between 2am and 4am (when the roads are mostly empty).

[/ QUOTE ]

give them more time to practice and yet only between 2am and 4am? wtf terrible idea. no parents are going to take their kids out at 2am to drive.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I know a lot of you are joking but if you seriously want to have a blanket upper age limit on drivers without taking into account if they're still rational and productive members of society then ... I dunno where I'm going with that sentence but it's a terrible idea.

[/ QUOTE ]

Being rational and productive has zilch to do with being able to drive well/safely.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume most rational and productive members of society also have control over their bodies, but quit being a nit regardless and add in "physically competent" or whatever.

[/ QUOTE ]

So you assume all old people are physically competent?

I'm going to nit it up again and say you're wrong.

[/ QUOTE ]

why do I get the feeling you would fail this exam?

okay, I said... having a blanket ban on people over X age driving without taking into account physical competence etc. etc. is a terrible idea, not that "all old people are physically competent." k?

[/ QUOTE ]

k, dude...no need to get your panties in a bunch.

I would simply disagree and say that a large enough percentage of drivers over 65 are a hudge liability on the road and should at least be tested once a year.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
There are some counties which has older drivers retake the driver's test whenever the license is renewed.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the case in Canada

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Every province sets its own rules for driver licensing.

2. Ontario had, for a very brief time, older drivers (over 80 I believe, maybe a little lower) take a road test when they renewed their license. But due to budget cuts (and I think huge waiting times to get a road test because of people driving on their G2 without getting their full G license) this was cut back to just making them take a written test. A written test is a step in the right direction, but will only weed out the extremely senile drivers. A road test is what is needed because its the reaction time/physical coordination that is the biggest worry with older drivers. Also, just because they know the laws while sitting at a desk with lots of time it doesn't mean they can process that information fast enough while driving.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:46 AM

yeah sorry if I'm being rude (just really pissed off today for some reason), but I'm basically saying exactly the same thing as you are so I'm not sure where this is going. I used to work at a nursing home so I've got a real soft spot for the oldies, but I agree that testing yearly is fine or whatever, but that a law saying "if you're over 65 you cannot drive. period." is a terrible and discriminatory idea.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I would simply disagree and say that a large enough percentage of drivers over 65 are a hudge liability on the road and should at least be tested once a year.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think you have a full grasp of what most 65-75 year olds are like. I'd say they're probably safer then the cohort of 16-18 year old drivers and it wouldn't be worth the expense of testing them.

I do however strongly believe with your general premise that older drivers need to be subjected to regular driving tests.
Old 10-15-2007, 12:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
For young drivers, I recomend that the learner's permit age be lowered to about 14 to give more time to practice.

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, I thought this was standard. Is Alaska the only place where it's 14 right now?
Old 10-15-2007, 01:00 AM

keyser,

no problem

jj,

65 is prolly a bit low...but 75 is right around the average age of death last time I checked. Seems like a good age to start doing yearly tests.
I don't know about the cost issue, (who pays, etc.) so I'll just keep my mouth shut about that.