Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-02-2007, 06:23 PM

Default Re: Nazis in Atlanta?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
If he was guarding an American POW camp where they tortured and worked to death thousands of civilian men, women, and children, then I would feel the same way as I feel about this guy.

[/ QUOTE ]

so you think all camp guards should have been tried at n.b.? why do you think they weren't?

[/ QUOTE ]

First of all, I never said this guy should be tried. He certainly shouldn't be tried in the US, and I have no idea if there's sufficient evidence to convict him of something. There's overwhelmingly sufficient evidence to deport him, and I see no conceivable reason why someone who, by his own admission, helped guard concentration camps should be given leniency. Even if simply being a guard doesn't rise to the level of internationally-recognized war crime, it's certainly a bad thing.

Second, because the Nuremburg trials were not primarily concerned with crimes against Germans and Eastern Europeans.

EDIT: Also, the primary camp-guard unit was the Death's Head SS (lol at the guy who thought maybe the guards didn't know what was up), which was a subdivision of the Waffen SS (wiki has this guy being in the Waffen too), which was judged to be a criminal organization at Nuremberg, with the exclusion of those forced to join. So, camp guards were tried collectively at Nuremberg.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
First of all, I never said this guy should be tried. He certainly shouldn't be tried in the US, and I have no idea if there's sufficient evidence to convict him of something. There's overwhelmingly sufficient evidence to deport him, and I see no conceivable reason why someone who, by his own admission, helped guard concentration camps should be given leniency.

[/ QUOTE ]

so the argument is that since he supposedly lied on his immigration form his citizenship is now to be revoked?

kind of hard to swallow that that is the only reason since there are 30million+ illegal immigrants here in the US and nobody cares.

I mean he was apeasant. he got told to get in the truck , do this , do that.

otoh, now that I think of it I hate guards and bad police and thugs in general, so you may have a point if he was a guard for a significant length of time. but if he was a guard for say less than a year then I think it is a no brainer. also I think if he was a guard at a non secret camp where the international red cross was allowed in, then I think it is a no brainer that he was almost certainly blameless, given his age
Old 10-02-2007, 06:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Also, the primary camp-guard unit was the Death's Head SS (lol at the guy who thought maybe the guards didn't know what was up), which was a subdivision of the Waf

[/ QUOTE ]

a lot depends imo how "deep" he was in the SS. also waffen just means fighting, the foreigners who had thier own SS units were waffen SS and were basically jjust army units.

If he was 19 and in the SS in 1938 then I agree with you.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:40 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
First of all, I never said this guy should be tried. He certainly shouldn't be tried in the US, and I have no idea if there's sufficient evidence to convict him of something. There's overwhelmingly sufficient evidence to deport him, and I see no conceivable reason why someone who, by his own admission, helped guard concentration camps should be given leniency.

[/ QUOTE ]

so the argument is that since he supposedly lied on his immigration form his citizenship is now to be revoked?

kind of hard to swallow that that is the only reason since there are 30million+ illegal immigrants here in the US and nobody cares.

I mean he was apeasant. he got told to get in the truck , do this , do that.

otoh, now that I think of it I hate guards and bad police and thugs in general, so you may have a point if he was a guard for a significant length of time. but if he was a guard for say less than a year then I think it is a no brainer. also I think if he was a guard at a non secret camp where the international red cross was allowed in, then I think it is a no brainer that he was almost certainly blameless, given his age

[/ QUOTE ]

Come on. You can't see the difference between a poor Mexican who snuck across the border to find a better job and A CONCENTRATION CAMP GUARD? Plus, it's possible that the reason this bastard was able to get in legally when so many Mexicans can't is that there were special programs set up to help people displaced by WWII. But that's not important. What's important is that he was a concentration camp guard and was (according to wiki) guilty of belonging to a criminal organization, the Waffen SS. Seems to be v. v. v. open and shut.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:55 PM

[ QUOTE ]
guilty of belonging to a criminal organization, the Waffen SS. Seems to be v. v. v. open and shut.

[/ QUOTE ]

not if he was conscripted, according to your source.
Old 10-02-2007, 06:58 PM

65 years ago....
Old 10-02-2007, 07:54 PM

If he didn't know what was going on in the camps, then it's hardly worthy of deportation, especially considering he was 19 and is now 85. Seems ridiculous.
Old 10-02-2007, 07:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Immigration law requires it.
2. So he has to leave his home and his family and all his friends.
3. He was doubtless allowed into this country and granted citizenship on fraudulent premises.
4. He's a Nazi who did terrible things, and we should punish him to the maximum feasible extent of the law.

[/ QUOTE ]

So the fact that his deportation will cause suffering is the reason we should deport him? Getting beyond this form of thinking is the best thing we can do to prevent our own culture from deteriorating to the point of Nazi Germany.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So the fact that his deportation will cause suffering is the reason we should deport him? Getting beyond this form of thinking is the best thing we can do to prevent our own culture from deteriorating to the point of Nazi Germany.

[/ QUOTE ]

it's interesting that special interest groups go nuts when people bring up deporting convicted illegal alien criminals (currently they aren't).

I mean, if a country won't deport an illegal alien who commits incountry crimes, I can't see the logic of sending an old man away, although I understand the motivation.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:18 PM

I'm sure the guy is still an active Nazi and is a threat to US security. He needs to be deported for our national safety.