Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2007, 10:19 PM

Default Re: How do you become a consistent winning player?

[ QUOTE ]
How do you become a consistent winning player?

[/ QUOTE ]

Win, consistently.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:17 PM

Default Simple . . .

Find Mr. Kent, find a old phone booth and have him do his thing. Then, hire him to run backwards really fast, so the rotation of the earth reverses.

Tell him to stop on or about May of 2005. Play shorthanded Party Poker 30-60 on the new increased # of tables. Then, quit around April, 2006 or so, when Party realized they were bailing and cheated American players until finally pulling out in October.

I'll send you an invoice for services rendered,

TSP
Old 03-19-2007, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Simple . . .

When I started I used the chart that put hands into seven groups. Group 1 was AA KK QQ JJ AKs, all the way down to 108o which was the last group 7 hand. The chart told you in what positions you could play certain hands. I would sit there with the list next to me and try to remember what group the hand was in as soon as I got my cards. After a month or two I knew them all and had learned the importance of playing hands in position. Then I was able to move off of the chart and just play poker. It was an excellent way to force a little discipline on your game when you just want to play cards not fold.

Of course now I pretty much only play Holdem in tournaments and PLO8 cash, but the foundation was still layed in those hand groupigs.

Josh
Old 03-19-2007, 11:56 AM

Default Re: Simple . . .

So you want to be a winner?

Let me ask you this...how do you feel about losing? Do you dislike losing? Do you hate it? How do you measure losing, session by session or week by week?

Another question, which level have you beaten? I'm almost embarrassed to admit this, but a few years ago it took me weeks to pull a $5 profit out of the penny limit tables at Stars. I beat the penny limit tables over a long time. When I started playing for nickels, I knew I could win?

So my last question is this...if you're not winning, why aren't you dropping to lower levels? Even play money.

I've got some unique insights that may not have been touched on in this post but first I need some answers.
Old 03-18-2007, 12:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
OK, just tell us what you did when you first started in order to accomplish where you're at right now...

Share your stories...

[/ QUOTE ]

betting patterns are your friend.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:25 PM

Read books, play constantly, take notes and make observations after playing sessions, be able to identify when you make mistakes and learn from them, play with people who are better than you and watch what they do and how they play, watch pros play on television, read more books, read and post stuff here.

Outside of that, not much you can do. Intelligence and demeanor will dictate whether you're decent, great, or somewhere in between.

You cannot be great at poker without working at it. You CAN fail to be great after having worked at it though.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:39 PM

I always wonder how people can read other people when they play like 5+ tables at the same time.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:43 PM

Most of these folks are grinding...giving up some EV in order to play more hands and/or using software to get a quick and dirty statistical read on oponents.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I always wonder how people can read other people when they play like 5+ tables at the same time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Reading players is less important in online poker than in real life. Online poker is about volume and speed- this is why multi-tabling is higher EV overall even though you give up some readability.

I consider myself a good poker player, but I don't do it for a living. I am a trader at a new york investment bank by profession, and I find the skills in many instances to be fully transferable.
Old 03-18-2007, 01:51 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Part of the secret of this is that reads just don't alter your decision on all that many hands. The other part is that they do sacrifice some reads and some some money per table hour for more money per clock hour.