Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 04-27-2007, 03:44 AM

Default Re: Dem Debate Thread

[ QUOTE ]
Randomly pick anyone from the British House of Commons and they would destroy any American in any sort of regular debate format. These 'debates' are an embarassment.

[/ QUOTE ]

they aren't debates, their showcases. US politics is about selling themselves as a product.
Old 04-27-2007, 04:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Randomly pick anyone from the British House of Commons and they would destroy any American in any sort of regular debate format. These 'debates' are an embarassment.

[/ QUOTE ]

they aren't debates, their showcases. US politics is about selling themselves as a product.

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, and it is a damn shame. The electorate is better served when an aspiring politician's mental acuity is brought forth via debate, being able to freely engage one another, these present formats succeed only in showcasing platitudes and stifling the intellect.
Old 04-27-2007, 10:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Agreed, and it is a damn shame. The electorate is better served when an aspiring politician's mental acuity is brought forth via debate, being able to freely engage one another, these present formats succeed only in showcasing platitudes and stifling the intellect.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only interesting part was when Obama and Kucinich went back and forth a little. I agree they need to be able to engage each other a little more freely. But with so many candidates it is not easy.
Old 04-27-2007, 11:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
The next President will be a Democrat. If you were going to bet right now at even money, which party would you bet on to win???

[/ QUOTE ]

You can bet on this at Intrade.com if u want. Dem currently at about 57 to win 43, Repub at 43 to win 57.

I dunno, I'm a democrat but none of these candidates get me very excited. As a NYer who remembers life under Dinkins I kinda like Rudy.
Old 04-27-2007, 01:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Gravel's website is down because too many people are trying to access it.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry, you must be mistaken. I didn't see the debate, but I have been informed by Yahoo news and the Drudge Report that "Obama emerged as the clear victor."
Old 04-27-2007, 01:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sorry, you must be mistaken. I didn't see the debate, but I have been informed by Yahoo news and the Drudge Report that "Obama emerged as the clear victor."

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it has something to do with initial low capacity for his site and the fact that no one has ever heard of him or the state he came from for that matter.
Old 04-27-2007, 02:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Richardson is a joke. I swear this guy is at the wrong primary

[/ QUOTE ]

I think you guys are making a mistake with this line of thinking. Didn't the Dems just win back Congress for the first time in 12 years by fielding candidates who sounded a little bit like Richardson, especially in the South and West? When he says the Dems shouldn't automatically be for tax increases and gun control, he is representing a decent size minority of the party-The types who can win in marginal districts. You guys should think twice before wanting him and those views out of the party.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I thought the only politician more useless than the American Vice President was a British MP Backbencher.

Also, I'd prefer whoever sponsors the next debate to thin the field to maybe 5 candidates.
Old 04-27-2007, 05:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it has something to do with initial low capacity for his site and the fact that no one has ever heard of him or the state he came from for that matter.

[/ QUOTE ]
I was being a bit facetious -- I don't doubt that he made a great impression. Nevertheless, who do we expect the media to talk about but their pre-chosen presidential candidates?
Old 04-27-2007, 06:09 PM

Is the debate online anywhere?