Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-28-2006, 12:19 AM

Default Re: Discrepancies on \"Calling Shotgun\"

[ QUOTE ]
I instantly lose respect for people that call shotgun.

[/ QUOTE ]

Actually, I have no respect for people who "don't play that game" when it comes to shotgun.

IMO the point of calling shotgun is so you don't have to have a footrace out to the car to decide who rides in the front seat.

If the rules are that you have to see the car before you call it, then that just makes it a footrace to a shorter distance (to where you can see the car).

I haven't read any of those links, but me and my friends argued the shotgun laws for hours in college.

We came to the conclusion that shotgun can be called either when the driver of the car begins walking directly to the car, or when the driver suggests "let's go" or "are you ready?" to the group of individuals.

Since we started this rule we've had zero problems. It actually makes it more fun because if you really want shotgun, after the activity you just ask the driver... "are you ready?" If he says yes just be the first to say shotgun.

NOTE: Where I'm from, not only do you have to say shotgun, but you have to say "no challenge". If someone says challege you have to roshambo for the seat. I know that's gay, but it's the rules.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]
Group leaves restaurant (all persons through door threshold) and shotgun is called, the call is VALID.

[/ QUOTE ]

Failure to leave the facility (restaurant in this case) in a timely manner waves your rights to be included in the group opportunity to call shotgun. In other words, you can't claim someone else's call is bogus just because you were still inside.

[/ QUOTE ]

The way we play this, is that the driver and caller are the only two that must be outside the building at the time of the call. Thus, the shotgun call is totally dependant upon when the driver exits the building, as he is the key.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:22 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I instantly lose respect for people that call shotgun.

[/ QUOTE ]Wow, you are NO FUN. If something good happens and a buddy calls for a high-five, do you stare at his hand and roll your eyes?
-Sam
Old 06-28-2006, 12:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
We came to the conclusion that shotgun can be called either when the driver of the car begins walking directly to the car, or when the driver suggests "let's go" or "are you ready?" to the group of individuals.

[/ QUOTE ]I actually like this rule. Your footrace argument definitely has merit.

On Ultimate trips in college, we used to just call "Not Bitch!". ("Bitch" was the seat in the middle-back.)

However, if there were six people riding, it was crucial to cut straight to "Not Super-bitch". (Especially if the car was an automatic.)
-Sam
Old 06-28-2006, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]

The way we play this, is that the driver and caller are the only two that must be outside the building at the time of the call. Thus, the shotgun call is totally dependant upon when the driver exits the building, as he is the key.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you play by these rules you look like a [censored] because you are always following the driver around and it's basically a footrace outside, then you're all waiting for the driver to exit the place so you can call shotgun which cancels out the whole point of the game IMO.

Instead of racing outside of the diner, who don't you just race to the door handle on the car?
Old 06-28-2006, 12:28 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Let's get real here, any shotgun rule is arbitrary. We could standardize, or we could just say the driver has the final word.

[/ QUOTE ]

The point of this thread is that clearly this isn't the case. It's far from arbitary.

[/ QUOTE ]

huh? far from arbitrary? everyone seems to have different conflicting rules no?
Old 06-28-2006, 12:30 AM

We play:

If you are in sight of teh car, outside, then that is the only time you can call it. But, if you do not say "shot-gun, no challenge" then the first person to yell Challenge! gets to play you best 2 of 3 for paper rockc siccors. poop.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:31 AM

Some of my friends do this, but use "Joust!" instead of "Challenge!"
Old 06-28-2006, 12:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
If you are in sight of teh car, outside, then that is the only time you can call it.

[/ QUOTE ]

Footrace to a clear view of the car. Cool.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:45 AM

My friends and I have a double challenge system set up, mainly because we're all sore losers and the person riding shotgun gets control of the radio. Instead of saying "Challenge" we call "Battle", and you have to say "No battles" before hand to make sure it doesn't happen, and if somebody calls "No battles", you can still "blitz" it, and then the first person to make it to the car gets to ride shotgun. I always forget to call "no blitz"...