Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-27-2007, 12:49 AM

Default Re: Rank the NFL Divisions

Brunell in 05 was decent.

They don't underperform. They get hurt and have no depth. It's as simple as that.
Old 08-27-2007, 12:53 AM

[ QUOTE ]
And lets not get started on him thinking Brunell was still good.

[/ QUOTE ]

Brunell wasn't bad in '05 or '06. He was above average.
Old 08-27-2007, 10:21 AM

I agree with this. They're definitely not "not good." But I've been watching them pretty closely for bunches of years now--I have a ton Skins-fan friends--and I just don't see a threatening team there.

They def have enough weapons to beat you on offense. But health problems and now qb problems make that more difficult. The main thing though is the d line. How long does it have to be a huge problem? I mean, they've had d-line issues for so many years now. I was saying the same thing about Miami's o-line last night to a friend. How long can you let it remain a significant weakness?

And of course, re the skins, they perform *very* badly on draft day. Some of the picks seem fine, but they trade badly and burn too many picks and until that stops, they're going to have to rely on FA's which hasn't served them well thus far.

Old 08-27-2007, 10:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They get hurt and have no depth.

[/ QUOTE ]

But much of this isn't attributable to "bad luck." Yes, some injuries are unlucky. But this is football and injuries are inevitiable. Their lack of depth is directly due to their lack of draft picks/rash trades/etc. I mean, they're laughably bad.

Also, why did they trade Champ Bailey? Was it a contract thing?
Old 08-27-2007, 01:23 PM

I'll give it a roll:

1)AFC West: I think the Broncos and Chargers are legitimate SB contenders, and KC is decent.
2)AFC North: 3 teams I expect to have good seasons, with the Browns on the rise soon.
3)NFC East: Eagles and Cowboys could win the NFC, Giants and Redskins are both mediocre.
4)AFC East: Patriots are the Patriots, but I don't rank them higher because the Bills are horrible, Dolphins could be horrible again, and I don't believe in the Jets yet.
5)AFC South: Reigning champs, Titans on the rise, Jaguars still above average.
6)NFC West: Seahawks are contenders, but the other 3 teams are too weak on defense to make it a strong conference.
7)NFC North: Bears are favorites for the NFC with their D, but the rest of the division has massive flaws.
8)NFC South: Saints are contenders, but the Panthers are declining, and the Bucs/Falcons should be pretty pathetic.

Anyone who wants to give this list a hard time should make sure they try it themselves first. It's not easy.
Old 08-27-2007, 03:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They get hurt and have no depth.

[/ QUOTE ]

But much of this isn't attributable to "bad luck." Yes, some injuries are unlucky. But this is football and injuries are inevitiable. Their lack of depth is directly due to their lack of draft picks/rash trades/etc.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this was his point. Not having depth is a flaw in a football team, so they're not underperforming, they're performing as expected.
Old 08-28-2007, 04:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]

But much of this isn't attributable to "bad luck." Yes, some injuries are unlucky. But this is football and injuries are inevitiable. Their lack of depth is directly due to their lack of draft picks/rash trades/etc. I mean, they're laughably bad.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree that the injury situation is partly due to poor offseason moves, but I think we can all agree that the specific injury situation last year was really unlucky.

The 2 key D-linemen get banged up bad early, miss a few weeks and then play hurt severely affecting performance. Portis down for the season. Brunell hid an injury that severely affected his play. Carlos Rogers was hurt most of the season. John Hall out for the season early(played hurt before that). Shawn Springs missing half the season. Pierson Prioleau goes down in game one.

That's 7 injuries to key players just off the top of my head.
Old 08-28-2007, 11:47 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I'll give it a roll:

1)AFC West: I think the Broncos and Chargers are legitimate SB contenders, and KC is decent.
2)AFC North: 3 teams I expect to have good seasons, with the Browns on the rise soon.
3)NFC East: Eagles and Cowboys could win the NFC, Giants and Redskins are both mediocre.
4)AFC East: Patriots are the Patriots, but I don't rank them higher because the Bills are horrible, Dolphins could be horrible again, and I don't believe in the Jets yet.
5)AFC South: Reigning champs, Titans on the rise, Jaguars still above average.
6)NFC West: Seahawks are contenders, but the other 3 teams are too weak on defense to make it a strong conference.
7)NFC North: Bears are favorites for the NFC with their D, but the rest of the division has massive flaws.
8)NFC South: Saints are contenders, but the Panthers are declining, and the Bucs/Falcons should be pretty pathetic.

Anyone who wants to give this list a hard time should make sure they try it themselves first. It's not easy.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think this is the best list thus far
Old 08-28-2007, 12:00 PM

The OP said to rank for fantasy. I think he is wrong because I think it is more important to pick divisions that will be competitive so that the games during the fantasy playoffs matter. You dont want the Colts to sit Manning in the fantasy playoffs, unless you handcuff with Sorgi.

I also think the AFC East and South are the top 2 divisions. AFC West has 1 good team in it, and the good teams in the East and South are better.
Old 08-28-2007, 06:27 PM

AFC West is seriously overrated. It's not 2006 anymore, three of those teams got worse and Oakland is still Oakland.