Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > General Poker Discussion > News, Views, and Gossip
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-10-2007, 03:43 PM

Default Re: poker and starcarft

I think tillerman is pretty successful poker player from reading his blog in the past
Old 07-10-2007, 04:09 PM

Think the real question should be...Who didn't play Starcraft?

Fail to see any connection.
Old 07-10-2007, 04:38 PM

I played sc then Unreal Tournament, now I play Counter Strike source, and I think all have some commonalities with poker,

SC your put in different positions on the map and the variences in resources and terrain cause you to make strategic changes, Unreal tournament has to do with over all speed and making insanely quick decisions while still changing your play based on the opponents and the situation.

Counterstrike puts all these together, different maps different players, sometimes your hanging with leet boys and have to play tight aggressive, you have to play slow and cut out the rambo, other times your with a bunch of nooberts and you can rush around (play a lot of hands) and any situation your in your going to make the best decision and finish with the better of it.

Many people on cs:s play online poker throughout the day then play cs after to relax, I run into a lot of $100-400 max players, it's fun to talk about different poker sites and books we've read.

I think playing risk or yahtzee will help with decision making in poker to some extent, even minuet every little bit helps.

Stab u later,

Juicin
Old 07-10-2007, 06:07 PM

I don't know much about Starcraft and poker besides Elky, but 3 of my former CAL (competitive counter-strike) teammates are now big poker players. Although playing video games probably help decision-making/multitabling abilities it's my opinion that the competitive and fun aspects of poker are what draws similar types of players more than the shared skillsets. Anyone agree with this?
Old 07-10-2007, 06:36 PM

i guess they all play poker now since koreans dominate starcarft

not being racist, just a fact

if you like starcraft, check out http://www.youtube.com/user/KlazartSC for some of the proleague/starleague matches with english commentary dubbed over, great stuff
Old 07-10-2007, 06:51 PM

Not surprising.. poker's a game. It attracts lots of strategy gamers. I think that's the bigger correlation. If you have a good mind for strategy and analysis, you'll do well at poker.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:51 PM

or maybe they play starcraft because they make a lot more? without having to be top10 in the world
Old 07-10-2007, 09:18 PM

Old 07-10-2007, 09:36 PM

I used to play...but I was equivalent to like an NL 1 penny 2 penny player, LOL
Old 07-10-2007, 09:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think StarCraft skills translate into Poker skills (except meta-skills like multitasking or something), but I do think they both attract a certain type of person.

[/ QUOTE ]
agreed.

its the competetive nature and the urge to become better that makes good poker players. single player games dont have these aspects and thats the main difference between single player (console) gamers and multiplayer (computer) gamers.

single player games are played mostly for fun and are about beating the artificial intelligent and abusing glitches in the game. we all know people who like playing games like GTA, just running around and shooting people up pointlessly.

multiplayer games are on a different level because youre battling against another human being. theres no saving/loading in these games, you either win or lose - and as we all know overcoming losses and keeping your head together is what separates elite players in all games/sports from the others.

players who arent good enough and dont have the mindset to compete choose the easier "fun" games. this is also why people choose different "competetive" games.

for example; the skill difference in quake is absolute, the worse player will get dominated by a better player in an even situation 100% of the time, where in counter-strike the skill factor is toned down with limitations in physics (movement & weapons) and a huge luck factor based on timing, back frags, uneven situations with weapons/health, headshots and recoil in general.

this is the exact reason why poker and counter-strike are popular. in both games you can have short term winnings even if youre not as skilled as your opponent. in poker you can play against the odds and suck out, in counter-strike you can recoil a lucky headshot or have a lucky timing to shoot your opponent in the back.