Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-22-2007, 04:38 PM

Default Re: What I\'ve Learned.

Why get so stressed? It always hinders, rarely helps.

Why spend time worrying you can't do something, when if you spent half that time actually doing it, it'd be done.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Italians might be able to cook, but they sure as hell can’t drive.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not correct. They can drive quite well. Here is the (their) key. You never look behind you. Forget about a rear view mirror. You look forward while driving and to your sides. The cars behind you will watch you. To change lanes you just have to make sure your sides are clear and go for it. The cars behind will adjust accordingly.

I have driven Rome. It works like a charm.

Oh yeah, stops lights are generally more like caution lights or like our right turn on red laws. So long as there isn’t much traffic around just go for it (in any direction, not just turning right) .

Here’s another tidbit about navigating Italian cities - while walking. Don’t ever stop in the middle of the street when crossing it. That screws up the drivers. If you keep your pace steady crossing the streets, the drivers will steer clear of you. If you panic as cars are coming at you and stop, then that messes up the system. Once you start to cross, just go for it.

p.s. You are correct about Italians and cooking. It is hard to find a bad meal in Italy.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:06 PM

- Life's a journey, not a destination.

- How high can you fly with broken wings?

- That one last stop is a permanent vacation.

- You have to learn to crawl, before you learn to walk.

- When I lost my grip, and I hit the floor, I thought I could live but couldn't get out the door.

- There was a time when I was so broken-hearted, love wasn't much of a friend of mine. But the tables have turned, me and them ways have parted, that kind of love was the killing kind.

- All I want is someone I can't resist.

- I know all I need to know by the way I got kissed.

James
Old 05-22-2007, 05:06 PM

a few of the points are good, a few i disagree with, a few are just stereotypes and generalizations.

you also slipped in something that happened to you when trying to join the airforce and the facts that you don't enjoy making new friends or packing slowly (while interesting these didn't fit the "things I've learned" format)

they did illustrate how difficult it is to write well.

(i'm just being a nit, don't mind me.)
Old 05-22-2007, 05:07 PM

here's a lesson i learned.

no matter how close your are to someone, they just don't want to hear about your problems.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:14 PM

- People don't care about reality. They just think things that make them happy.

- You always have to deal with "opponents" on their terms. Clever wit will likely not help you in a brawl with a drunk trucker, and beating up a liberal douche is evidence that you lost the argument.

- Try to remember your dreams. Sometimes you really do have an amazing insight, but typically forget what it was.

- Learn concepts and forget details. You can deduce the details later on your own, but if you don't understand the concepts you'll always suck.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
- Life's a journey, not a destination.

- How high can you fly with broken wings?

- That one last stop is a permanent vacation.

- You have to learn to crawl, before you learn to walk.

- When I lost my grip, and I hit the floor, I thought I could live but couldn't get out the door.

- There was a time when I was so broken-hearted, love wasn't much of a friend of mine. But the tables have turned, me and them ways have parted, that kind of love was the killing kind.

- All I want is someone I can't resist.

- I know all I need to know by the way I got kissed.

James

[/ QUOTE ]

It's amazing when in the blink of an eye you finally see the light.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:17 PM

even if the bet you have out there is enormous, and you have little money left that is not on the table, and you're up nicely but this could change that, and you're not sure what you will do if you lose, you just have to double down if you're supposed to.

btw, this is not a metaphor.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Italians might be able to cook, but they sure as hell can’t drive.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is not correct. They can drive quite well. Here is the (their) key. You never look behind you. Forget about a rear view mirror. You look forward while driving and to your sides. The cars behind you will watch you. To change lanes you just have to make sure your sides are clear and go for it. The cars behind will adjust accordingly.

I have driven Rome. It works like a charm.

Oh yeah, stops lights are generally more like caution lights or like our right turn on red laws. So long as there isn’t much traffic around just go for it (in any direction, not just turning right) .

Here’s another tidbit about navigating Italian cities - while walking. Don’t ever stop in the middle of the street when crossing it. That screws up the drivers. If you keep your pace steady crossing the streets, the drivers will steer clear of you. If you panic as cars are coming at you and stop, then that messes up the system. Once you start to cross, just go for it.

p.s. You are correct about Italians and cooking. It is hard to find a bad meal in Italy.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, the Italians drive in their own way but arguably they are more aware of the traffic around them than in the UK/US. In both Italy and the UK I have stepped out into the traffic to cross the road (in the centre of town in areas swarming with pedestrians) without looking to see if anything way coming in one direction. In Italy, the cars slowed down - they know how to brake. In London, on Oxford Street, I got knocked down!
Old 05-22-2007, 05:26 PM

It's not enough to work out how to live well. You have to actually do it.

I am aware a happy life would involve exercising; making good meals with varied fresh ingredients; seeing my friends as much as possible; reading great novels; not spending too long online; cutting out any destructive vices from my life; embracing my creativity, and not being afraid. But the fear stops me from doing any of the preceeding things.

Recognising a problem is not the same as solving it.