Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > EDF
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2007, 04:56 PM

Location: My Avatar is Cursed for my Teams. Please don\'t curse my burger.
Default Re: The EDF Laundry Thread

any tips to clean hats?
Old 10-12-2007, 05:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I've been working on getting good results with laundry and have found a few things to be helpful.

Detergents -- I use 'The Laundress' brand. It feels a little funny to buy designer detergent but I am very happy with the results. The smell is much nicer to me compared with Tide, etc. Also, using special darks only, denim formula, or pit stain remover will give you better results on those specific items.

Whites -- To get a whiter white add a few drops of a bluing agent like Mrs. Stewarts Bluing. Bleach can make them whiter but will ultimately cause them to become a dingy yellow. Yellow pit stains are usually caused by Aluminum-zirconium found in most all antiperspirants. I give up on removing these, just have to buy new.

Dry cleaning cleans differently than laundering. Cotton dress shirts should often be laundered as it will clean regular sweat/oils better and is cheaper and not as harsh as dry cleaning.

Lots of tags that say dry clean only can be ignored, what's important is the fabric.

[/ QUOTE ]

do what I said eariler, wash once in cold/cold w/ detergent, and once in hot/hot with bleach, the pit stains will disappear.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:08 AM

Some general laundry tips I've found have worked over the years:

- I divide my laundry in what seems like a million ways. Jeans, colors, whites and blacks.

Jeans: turn them inside out, wash on gentle cycle with a dark detergent if possible. I treat all my 'premium' jeans with a vinegar soak. Put your washer on soak, add the 1/2 cup vinegar (for 2-3 pairs of jeans) and let it sit for 30 mins or so. I only air dry jeans, and only wash jeans when they REALLY need it.

Colors: I will mix very pale colors with whites, and sometimes greys, but most of my bright colors go in together. I only wash on cold, so I never work about bleeding. Sometime I will wash a new shirt on it's own if I don't trust it's dye job.

Stain treating: OxiClean is amazing. Seriously. It's safe on almost all fabrics and can be used to treat any stain you have usually, and also comes in powder form to put in with whites instead of bleach. THIS STUFF ALSO WORKS ON PIT STAINS! Sometimes older set in stains are there to stay though. Sorry kids.

So my basic mantra is wash cold, air dry. I rarely put anything in the dryer, just to preserve it longer. [censored], I really love doing laundry.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[censored], I really love doing laundry.

[/ QUOTE ]

it is far and away my least favorite household chore, ainec. once i have the means, i'm getting (or marrying) someone to do my laundry.
Old 10-13-2007, 02:52 AM

If I read one more person ask how to wash their pink polo I am going to flip my [censored].
Old 10-13-2007, 08:43 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[censored], I really HATE doing laundry.

[/ QUOTE ]

it is far and away my least favorite household chore, ainec. once i have the means, i'm getting (or marrying) someone to do my laundry.

[/ QUOTE ]

Me 2 lol and I have a lot of it!
Old 10-13-2007, 03:54 PM

Someone recently told me that after I was a load with bleach, I should run an empty rinse cycle to make sure all the bleach is gone.

Has anyone else heard this advice? Is it necessary?
Old 10-13-2007, 05:29 PM

I've heard it before, but no, NOT necessary. Only wastes water imo.

T
Old 10-13-2007, 05:33 PM

I was always taught to turn all clothes right side out, but I just did laundry a few days ago and every single shirt, no joke, came out of the dryer inside out. Sigh, it's a losing battle.

(I hate doing laundry)

T
Old 10-13-2007, 06:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Someone recently told me that after I was a load with bleach, I should run an empty rinse cycle to make sure all the bleach is gone.

Has anyone else heard this advice? Is it necessary?

[/ QUOTE ]

I plan it so my towels go in after the whites because my towels are white but I dont bleach them.