Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-20-2007, 12:10 AM

Default Re: WOW, PETA people really are crazy!

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Somebody please show me how an animal can accept a responsibility?

[/ QUOTE ]

First you show how a newborn human can accept responsibility.

[/ QUOTE ]
I don't think you understand what a right actually is. Newborns have no rights.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good, so you agree we can skin them alive too.

[/ QUOTE ]
There are laws against that if you didn't know.
Old 08-19-2007, 11:23 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I completely reject the idea that animals should have "rights".

To be given a right whether you're a dog or Canadian person, you need to accept reponsibilities that go along with that right.

Somebody please show me how an animal can accept a responsibility?

[/ QUOTE ]

So, we have rights to treat animals with ruthless cruelty? How is that responsible?
Old 08-19-2007, 03:22 PM

They may seem like crackpots, but still, you may want to watch this:

http://www.petatv.com/tvpopup/video....amp;speed=_med

(Warning: Some people's sensitivity may be affected by these images.)

Anyway, this shows there's unnecesary pain, I mean I don't think it's all the same if you're a human or animal, but this is ridiculous. How can a sane person do this to a sentient being?

I'm all up for animal research, but this is disgusting... And it's all just so people can wear that [censored]? cmon...
Old 08-20-2007, 12:55 AM

That movie is ugly on the surface, but I really don't think that animal suffered much pain, nor are animals capable of suffering much at all because they are irrational.

And here is my groundbreaking evidence: How many of you remember suffering pain as a baby? It is only when we reach the age of reason does one become aware of painful experiences and form a conscience. Why were all of us happy as young children? It must be a similar experience for the most advanced animals. Sentience doesn't seem to matter without sapience.

Having seen PETA and other animal rights literature, I also have a theory that animal rights people are a brand of fetishists. They seem to take a perverted pleasure in agonizing over animal cruelty, and are fascinated by the so-called tortures afflicted on animals. It seems to me that they need animals to suffer in order to justify their own existence, much like other unreasonable moralists.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:59 AM

[ QUOTE ]
...nor are animals capable of suffering much at all because they are irrational.

And here is my groundbreaking evidence: How many of you remember suffering pain as a baby? It is only when we reach the age of reason does one become aware of painful experiences and form a conscience. Why were all of us happy as young children? It must be a similar experience for the most advanced animals. Sentience doesn't seem to matter without sapience.

[/ QUOTE ]

Lack of long-term memory != incapable of suffering

It is frightening that a supposed "rational" sentient being like yourself believes that all other creatures are incapable of suffering. Given common sense biology, this belief is rather unsubstantiated.

Edit: Why does there always seem to be a correlation between the more fervently Christian, the more fervently one disregards the welfare and suffering of the rest of God's living creations?
Old 08-20-2007, 01:16 AM

"Lack of long-term memory != incapable of suffering"

That is the only reasonable thing you said. What people view as "suffering" seems to be intimately linked with memory, intelligence, and rationality. Feelings like dread, loss and despair, which are the heights of human suffering cannot be felt by animals. Even physical pain requires a great sense of awareness of what is going on. We don't feel pain when unconcious. How concious is an animal really?
Old 08-20-2007, 01:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
"Lack of long-term memory != incapable of suffering"

That is the only reasonable thing you said. What people view as "suffering" seems to be intimately linked with memory, intelligence, and rationality. Feelings like dread, loss and despair, which are the heights of human suffering cannot be felt by animals. Even physical pain requires a great sense of awareness of what is going on. We don't feel pain when unconcious. How concious is an animal really?

[/ QUOTE ]

Conscious enough to feel pain. If you ignore this, you are either a liar or a retard, possibly both.