Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 01-07-2007, 02:04 AM

Default Re: Confession: I don\'t like Simpsons

[ QUOTE ]

The second best episode has to be when Bart gets the immunization shot and goes loopy, moons the flag at the teachers on donkeys basketball game and gets the whole family thrown in jail for violation of "The Government Knows Best Act". Best scene is when the drunk Bill of Rights throws up all over itself mumbling "What did I do....What did I do"? Quite funny commentary of the Bush Administration's agenda.

[/ QUOTE ]

This one was really great. Unfortunately nobody I know saw it because they thought the Simpsons had started to suck.
Old 01-07-2007, 11:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I don't know which season it was from, but the best episode has to be the one when Lisa makes "Lingwo", the grammar correcting robot.

The scenes from each character's life are so cleverly converged, it's like watching a movie. It also has some of the best one liner quotes ever:

Homer: Sorry doesn't put thumbs on the hands Marge.
Lisa: We've been spinning for hours.
Wiggum: 1,2,3 Fake Street. Home of knifey wifey. Open up "Stabitha".
Cletus: You could be one of those TV magic queers.
Cletus: They done stolded my wheels.
Lou: There's enough Chinese skycandy here to put you kids away for a long time.
Lou: Hey Chief, can I hold my gun like this (holds it out sideways)?
Wiggum: Fat Tony, is that you?
Lisa: "Sentence fragment" is a sentence fragment.
Fat Tony's mob henchman: Shut uppa you face. I oughtta whack you in the labonza. Hey, they's throwin' robots.

And many more.

The second best episode has to be when Bart gets the immunization shot and goes loopy, moons the flag at the teachers on donkeys basketball game and gets the whole family thrown in jail for violation of "The Government Knows Best Act". Best scene is when the drunk Bill of Rights throws up all over itself mumbling "What did I do....What did I do"? Quite funny commentary of the Bush Administration's agenda.

hahahah Cracks me up just thinking about it.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't even remember the 2nd one, and the first one is kinda meh, like they are trying too hard. I am geussing the first episode is season 12 or so, the 2nd one 18 or something. (i am very likely to be completely wrong and made a fool out of)

Simpsons awesomeness graph:

As you can see it has gone on too long, and it is really [censored] now.
Old 01-07-2007, 04:11 PM

That graph is just insulting. The show might not be as good as it once was, but it's still easily better than 90% of TV and 99.9% of comedies on TV.
Old 01-07-2007, 05:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
That graph is just insulting. The show might not be as good as it once was, but it's still easily better than 90% of TV and 99.9% of comedies on TV.

[/ QUOTE ]

I disagree with the bold - and I'm a huge Simpsons fan

the graph looks more like this:

Old 01-07-2007, 09:06 PM

I find Family Guy even coming into a discussion of the Simpsons depressing pretty much every time.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:09 PM

Personally I'd say that the Family Guy and Simpsons graphs should more or less be switched. Family Guy has been significantly worse during its second run than its first.
Old 01-07-2007, 09:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Family Guy has been significantly worse during its second run than its first.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:06 AM

Season 5 was when the show started to take off into lunacy and meta-humor and stopped being like a conventional sitcom turned totally on its head.

Family Guy never came close to the social commentary that the Simpsons did - and none of their characters has any basis in reality at all. It's a hilarious show, but it never was, and never will be, what the Simpsons was in Seasons 1-4. Frankly the jealousy and backbiting between the two writing staffs' is repulsive.
Old 01-08-2007, 01:41 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Season 5 was when the show started to take off into lunacy and meta-humor and stopped being like a conventional sitcom turned totally on its head.

[/ QUOTE ]

See that's what I want, not this season three "Homer tries to do the right thing but fails and sad music plays" [censored].
Old 01-08-2007, 01:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

See that's what I want, not this season three "Homer tries to do the right thing but fails and sad music plays" [censored].

[/ QUOTE ]

Except that that show actually had a soul and a foundation for its humor - its characters weren't simply joke-tellers or straight men, but real people - or close enough to it.

It's not the kind of show for watching when you're drunk with your friends and want to toss something on to laugh at, but ultimately to me it's altogether more fulfilling entertainment. Shows like Family Guy and the later-era Simpsons are like dessert - but eating chocolate all the time is [censored] disgusting. The early Simpsons were like an entire meal - I hope this metaphor isn't too cliched.

Oddly enough, I feel the opposite way about Seinfeld - that its best shows were during its much more cartoony, bizarre phase near the end of the show's run - but that's because the characters were for the most part loathsome and developing them just dragged us further down into the muck.