Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-20-2007, 08:44 AM

Default Re: ACism and global warming

[ QUOTE ]
Prove to me that any state sponsored action to "combat" global warming is actually doing anything that has an iota of impact i.e. that if followed by all people, nations, whatever, will stop flooding Bangladesh.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty easy to do. The vast majority of the technology breakthroughs in energy are occurring at university and national labs.
Old 09-20-2007, 09:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
So as a farmer from Bangladesh in 75 years who has lost my farm and my country. Who sohuld I sue? What should I expect them to give me?

[/ QUOTE ]

How is a government going to make this situation any better?
Old 09-20-2007, 10:02 AM

I haven't claimed the government could make that situation better after it had happened. But AlexM has claimed that companies would not pollute because they would get sued for the consequences. So I wonder who I should sue to get compensation for my farm.
Old 09-20-2007, 12:45 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Prove to me that any state sponsored action to "combat" global warming is actually doing anything that has an iota of impact i.e. that if followed by all people, nations, whatever, will stop flooding Bangladesh.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is pretty easy to do. The vast majority of the technology breakthroughs in energy are occurring at university and national labs.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tell me what the national labs have done. BTW I worked at one for nine years. I have more than a little insight into them FWIW. I will say they're damn good at dismantlement activities.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]
People care about global warming = market for a solution to global warming = AC Solution to global warming.

If something is demanded by a lot of people either the market will provide it computers, fish, ipods, or it is impossible to provide such a thing at this time teleportation, time travel, immortalitly in which case a state won't be able to provide it either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Given:
Global warming is a problem that threatens us.
Global warming is made worse by what we, as humans, do

I'm lead to ask from your first equation, what if alot of people don't care?

Cody
Old 09-20-2007, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
So as a farmer from Bangladesh in 75 years who has lost my farm and my country. Who sohuld I sue? What should I expect them to give me?

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll assume you're serious. That farmer can talk to his government/our international reps and present his evidence for how the pollution of Wal-Mart (just picked a company) is harming him. Since Wal-Mart operated within US law, the judical system decides if the case is sound, and if so, punishes Wal-Mart, probably by fines.

Not sure about the confusion.

Cody
Old 09-20-2007, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Doesn't sound like a person who owns any air. *confused*
Old 09-20-2007, 03:15 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
People care about global warming = market for a solution to global warming = AC Solution to global warming.

If something is demanded by a lot of people either the market will provide it computers, fish, ipods, or it is impossible to provide such a thing at this time teleportation, time travel, immortalitly in which case a state won't be able to provide it either.

[/ QUOTE ]

Honestly, what the ...
Please never post on economic issues again, like never ever...

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks for your lengthy and detailed rebuttal.

[/ QUOTE ]

He was merely pointing out your failed attempt at a coherent rebuttal. [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

It wasn't the most in depth thing ever, but he was completely correct...
Old 09-20-2007, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'll assume you're serious. That farmer can talk to his government/our international reps and present his evidence for how the pollution of Wal-Mart (just picked a company) is harming him. Since Wal-Mart operated within US law, the judical system decides if the case is sound, and if so, punishes Wal-Mart, probably by fines.

Not sure about the confusion.

Cody

[/ QUOTE ]

No, in the real world it's government says "sorry, that's within Wal-Mart's acceptable pollution level, GG". This is the only reason that pollution exists right now is governments saying it's ok and protecting businesses from having to pay their rightful restitution.
Old 09-20-2007, 03:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is the only reason that pollution exists right now is governments saying it's ok and protecting businesses from having to pay their rightful restitution.

[/ QUOTE ]

In all fairness, you can't predict with certainty that consumers would drive pollution to zero by imposing liability costs. I imagine there would be a balance with some level of "tolerated" pollution.