Check 4 5.48%
1/3 6 8.22%
1/2 25 34.25%
Push 38 52.05%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-18-2007, 09:38 AM

Default Re: 2007 Toronto Blue Jays Thread

[ QUOTE ]
The Jays can contend, but the rotation is scary. If everyone stays healthy it could be decent, but none of the guys in the rotation have been able to do that.

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT. You'd have to think JP is competent to realize that the rotation, as it stands now, won't be getting them into any playoffs. He needs to do what he has to to get that 180IP #3 starter. Although doing that would put them back to where they were at before Lilly left.
Old 01-18-2007, 11:37 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
The Jays can contend, but the rotation is scary. If everyone stays healthy it could be decent, but none of the guys in the rotation have been able to do that.

[/ QUOTE ]
QFT. You'd have to think JP is competent to realize that the rotation, as it stands now, won't be getting them into any playoffs. He needs to do what he has to to get that 180IP #3 starter. Although doing that would put them back to where they were at before Lilly left.

[/ QUOTE ]

See that's what I have been trying to say. A #3 starter who pitches 180 innings is a very valuable commodity.
As of know our rotation of Halladay, Burnett, Chacin, Thomson, Any of like 12 people. Is a pretty good rotation.
Old 01-18-2007, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

See that's what I have been trying to say. A #3 starter who pitches 180 innings is a very valuable commodity.
As of know our rotation of Halladay, Burnett, Chacin, Thomson, Any of like 12 people. Is a pretty good rotation.

[/ QUOTE ]

That rotation is Halladay and then wing and a prayer. They could win the World Series with that rotation, or get 100 losses with it. As a Jays fan I would breathe a little easier if JP can somehow get just one reliable arm.
Old 01-18-2007, 09:44 PM

Other than health, I don't think anyone should have any concerns with Halliday, Burnett and Chacin. 4th and 5th starters and the middle relief will define the Jays this year.

I know Boston improved its team in the offseason, but they will be lucky to have the same record as last year. The 1st half of the season the Red Sox had last year saw them having way more than their share or miracle comebacks, and that couldn't last forever.

Yankees 102-60
Jays (WC)98-64
Red Sox 81-81
Tampa 80-82
Orioles 70-92
Old 01-18-2007, 10:16 PM

lol @ that
Old 01-18-2007, 10:25 PM

Motorholdem,
Saying other than health, Burnett and Chacin is fine is like saying other than klling the millions of people Hitler wasn't all that bad.

Also for a #4 starter John Thomson has very good peripherals.

Your records for the AL east are so fair off. Are you aware of how many divisional games teams play?
Old 01-18-2007, 10:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Other than health, I don't think anyone should have any concerns with Halliday, Burnett and Chacin. 4th and 5th starters and the middle relief will define the Jays this year.

I know Boston improved its team in the offseason, but they will be lucky to have the same record as last year. The 1st half of the season the Red Sox had last year saw them having way more than their share or miracle comebacks, and that couldn't last forever.

Yankees 102-60
Jays (WC)98-64
Red Sox 81-81
Tampa 80-82
Orioles 70-92

[/ QUOTE ]

Burnett has been a .500 pitcher his whole career. I watched him a lot last year, and he seems like one of those guys that will always make you say "Next year he will be better". I actually have a little more faith in Chacin. If his health stays decent, the kid could be a player. He gives up a lot of runs, but manages to win his fair share (not in the same league, but think of him as a very poor man's Jack Morris).
Old 01-18-2007, 10:59 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Motorholdem,
Saying other than health, Burnett and Chacin is fine is like saying other than klling the millions of people Hitler wasn't all that bad.

Also for a #4 starter John Thomson has very good peripherals.

Your records for the AL east are so fair off. Are you aware of how many divisional games teams play?

[/ QUOTE ]

Some rotations are awful, even if they stay healthy all year. Would you like a potfull of Josh Towers all year, or would you hope his arm fell off?

Health is a major issue for the Jays, because, as you know, Halliday, Burnett and Chacin all had problems last year.

I've never seen a pitching rotation's health compared to Hitler's killings, but if anyone wanted to make that leap I guess it would be you, Pudge.

Oh and gee, do the AL East teams play each other lots. That would explain all those Tampa Bay games.

Sober up
Old 01-18-2007, 11:29 PM

They won't win 88 games nevermind 98 games
Old 01-18-2007, 11:54 PM

motorholdem, you realize "4th and 5th starters" get twice as many starts as Halladay? (if YOU are lucky) Schilling/Matsuzaka/Papelbon/Beckett/Wakefield/Lester and Mussina/Pettitte/Wang/Igawa/Pavano/Hughes are both huge edges over Halladay/Burnett/Chacin. Depth is very important to putting together 90 win seasons, and 4th and 5th starters aren't even depth. They're part of your team that's contributing a ton.

I expect the aging Yankees and the young and talented Blue Jays to outhit the Red Sox this year, but the edge here isn't anywhere near the edge in the starting rotation. Crisp/Lugo/Ortiz/Manny/Drew/Lowell/Youks/Varitek/Pedroia is still pretty powerful, although the bottom two spots are basically a black hole.

In the bullpen, I'm very positive with the Blue Jays, they have the best and deepest bullpen, the Yankees still have Mo, and the Red Sox are basically piecing it together.

Just the same, the Jays simply won't be able to overcome having a 5 man rotation with only 3 pitchers.

Edit: Missed Thomson signing but he isn't near as good as any of the 15 pitchers listed.