Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > 2+2 Communities > The Lounge: Discussion+Review
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-13-2007, 02:28 AM

Default Re: Career Mess-Ups

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Agreed. I like the munchkin, and would want her to be my Bubble-Yum or even Slim Jim (eat me!) spokesman if I owned either of those brands. As a news anchor, I'd feel just as comfortable with Carrot Top, at least now that he's on roids and taking himself more seriously.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ok. Carrot Top huh? Wow. I hope she doesn't read these forums.

[/ QUOTE ]

Cute, on a related note my younger brother thought carrot top was a women for the longest time.
Old 05-13-2007, 09:08 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Fishwhenican: Did Woody have an explanation? Reading your story I thought he might have been upset at excessive celebration or something but watching the video they hadn't even started to celebrate. Woody threw the punch as the guy stood up.

[/ QUOTE ]

Woody was, perhaps, the most competitive man who ever lived. He had a history of losing his temper during games before this. I remember one time he was upset with the referees and he grabbed the yard marker, broke it in half and then tossed it out onto the field. He was PISSED.

Anyway, he had kind of been losing it all year. A lot of the rules had been changed in the Big ten and college football and he did not have the recruiting strength that he had had for many years. The Gator Bowl was the smallest bowl they had been to in a number of years and it was wearing on him. The game was close. We had a chance and that chance was messed up by that interception. He just plain flat out lost it.

Interestingly, he did apologize for his actions. Normally he held no quarter and was not ashamed at whatever he did because he "knew" he was right and stood by those convictions. He was a very interesting and intense man who was the definition of what a great football coach should be. But he ran his time and just let his emotions get the better of him and stepped over the line once and that was all it took to get him booted.

Pretty Sad.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:50 AM

obvious one here.

Old 05-13-2007, 11:18 AM

this implies that michael richards had a career in 2006, which he most certainly did not.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:33 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this implies that michael richards had a career in 2006, which he most certainly did not.

[/ QUOTE ]

I see your point that he didn't have much going on in the way of a TV career, but he was pretty famous and a lot of people would have gladly gone to see him in a comedy club before his drunken rant. I think he really damaged his future in the entertainment industry. I doubt any studio will want him in their TV sitcoms or movies at this point.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:55 AM

pre-Seinfeld, Michael Richards had a pretty lame act. post it probably wasn't much better. Nonetheless the n-rant destroyed most of the good faith he built up with his Kramer character.

Personally, after viewing the video a few times and reading news reports on the event, I have no problem whatsoever with that particular event.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:55 AM

While I don't think it ruined his career, I'm pretty sure it damaged it significantly. But maybe rehab has helped to recover his image. Not sure. We'll have to wait and see.

Curious, when did celebrities start using rehab as a way to fix an image? Is this a fairly recent strategy? I think athletes have used rehab for a while now, to fix images.
Old 05-13-2007, 11:57 AM

katy: I don't think there is any question that his anti-jew tirade messed up Mel's career, so he fits this thread nicely.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Personally, after viewing the video a few times and reading news reports on the event, I have no problem whatsoever with that particular event.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? Maybe I should watch it. It sounded awfully bad to me when I read about it.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:12 PM

One thing that worked in Richards' favour from my point of view is that his remarks were directed at hecklers. I have been to many live comedy shows; hecklers are fair game for whatever the comedian wants to throw back at them. If you aren't prepared to take it - DON'T HECKLE!

I remember in particular one semi-clean comedian doing his act, and some girl of obvious Newfoundlound heritage (serious newfie accent) starts heckling him, and it is readily apparent that she thinks she is being funny. After a little bit of attemtping to ignore her, and a little bit of mild comebacks, the comedian attacked her as a Newfie (her heritage) and as a woman (her sex). He was way better armed than her and the audience ate it up.

If you're black and attempt to ruin someone's comedy act by throwing out loud, and in your opinion 'witty' remarks, please expect the worst in return. If you don't like it, stfu and leave.