Two Plus Two Newer Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Newer Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-24-2007, 02:10 PM

Default Re: Mixed-up positions on lineup card...what happens?

The rule that prevents managers for doing this more often is that if you have already come into the game to pitch and then come back for a 2nd time (from RF or something) you do not get any warmup time so you have to come in cold. If its a new inning obviously you can get in a few but if its an in between innign switch you get none. Davey Johnson in this game tried to get McDowell and ORosco warmup time but the Reds succesfully argued against it. Still, I'm surprised it only happened the one time, and it only really happend in this game because half the team got ejected for fighting with Eric Davis.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:12 PM

MicrBob, thats awesome that you were there. I'm so envious, that's one of my favorite boxscores ever.
Old 08-24-2007, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Mets used various subs in the 8th and 9th and came back to tie it in the 9th when Dave Parker dropped a routine fly doing that little flippy-catch thing of his.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you were there you most likely miss Marty's call of this. "....And this one belongs, Oh no, he dropped the ball!"
Old 08-24-2007, 02:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Let's say a manager decides to have some fun and mixes up the positions on his team's lineup card. For example, LaRussa decides to list Rolen as the CF, Eckstein as the 1B, etc...but the players stay in their normal positions. What would happen? Is there a rule against this?

[/ QUOTE ]

A legal fielding position for all players (other than the pitcher and catcher) is anywhere between the foul lines. The "positions" are really just for scorekeeping.

[/ QUOTE ]

Leaving aside for a moment *why* a manager would do this. The only problem is an AL problem. If you list someone as the DH and that person goes to, say, LF, the pitcher now must hit in the position you originally designated as your left fielder.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:04 PM

I'm pretty sure the Dodgers did this with Valenzuala as well. They put him in left field I believe. I'll look for the box score.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:14 PM

If you scroll down they indicate a few other times the pitcher moved to a different position and returned to pitch.

Link

Looks like I was wrong about the circumstances of Valenzuela playing the outfield.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:39 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Mets used various subs in the 8th and 9th and came back to tie it in the 9th when Dave Parker dropped a routine fly doing that little flippy-catch thing of his.

[/ QUOTE ]

Since you were there you most likely miss Marty's call of this. "....And this one belongs, Oh no, he dropped the ball!"

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, I did hear about that call though.

we were in RF though in the blue-seats so were pretty up close with some of the more amusing parts of that game.

Anyway, Parker just "ole'd" it all the back to the wall and the Mets kept on running.
Can only imagine the disappointment and sarcasm in Marty's voice on that one. He's not exactly shy to rip into his own team pretty good.

And Orosco taking fungos out there in the 10th or 11th or whatever it was to try to get rready looked pretty ridiculous and the crowd was razzing him prety hard and everyone was laughing and was saying to each other, "they're not really going to do this, are they?"

I'm pretty sure Johnson kept arguing or discussing with the umpires to stall for his pitchers/outfielders on a couple of occasions.

Of course, we were about as far as could be from the brawl at 3rd base. But for some of the other best parts of that game the RF blue-seats were the best place to be as it turned out.

The winning HR in the 14th sailed right over our heads into the green seats.
And we overheard several people on our way out who were in that section and they were yapping on about how incredible it was that the same fan caught the Dave Parker HR in the 3rd AND the Ho-Jo winning HR in the 14th.

My Dad and I asked a couple people, "Really? No way." and they insisted it was true.
Then we saw some guy on his way down the ramp holding up both HR balls in triumph.

It was definitely a pretty weird night at the ball-park.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:43 PM

Danza, awesome link. I love the one where the pitcher switched positions with the RightFielder from Left to Right 11 times, haha.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:45 PM

Bob, one time I saw Benny Agbayani foull off back to back pitches both to the same guy. He dropped both foul balls.
Old 08-24-2007, 04:52 PM

I heard about a game where somebody, I think a lady, got nailed by a foul-ball in the head. She was knocked out for a second and even though she had come to and just had a headache they insisted on taking her out in a stretcher to get looked at.
Then as they were wheeling her away behind the top row in the lowest section she got hit by another foul ball.

My best personal story is that I once got hit in the chest with a hockey-puck in the middle of a broadcast.
It wasn't even going that fast but those mutha's freaking hurt and I took a decent sized bruise.
My call of the play was definitely kind of weird.